Author Topic: - Mafia III - GRAVEYARD -  (Read 21737 times)

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
- Mafia III - GRAVEYARD -
« on: August 02, 2007, 12:26:14 am »
It might be a while before I actually get round to doing the third game of Mafia (still reeling from a lot of IRL crap) but I want to gauge just how much interest we'd have in a third game. Post in this topic to "apply" for the next game, so to speak. If there's enough interest i'll probably just try to suck it up and deal a new game out regardless, posting the game's rules (virtually identical to II) and roles (a few changes here and there from II) in this topic.

REGISTRATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.

LIST OF PLAYERS: (Red = Verified able to play)
Slartibartfast
Person21
Kcronos
Flamester_
Unlamp
Cobra
DMK
Gunner
shadowlord18
Kratok
Brandonazz
HolsteinCow
LadyM
HelloWorld
GrapeFruit
PatMan33
Neoteric
Daxx
Yokto
Lualmoba
Plank of Wood

Total: 21
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 07:23:48 pm by Luminar »

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
Re: - Mafia III - Planning / Gauging Interest
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 12:33:28 am »
I'm ready.

Offline shadowlord18

• Super Mario Bro.
  • *hug* here you go be well my friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 12:49:57 am »
since 2 is dead please post the rules i may play
Life is not measured by the amount of times you fall down but by the number of times you get back up again.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 02:02:49 am »
I am in without a doubt.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 09:34:35 am »
since 2 is dead please post the rules i may play

Very well.. the rules from Season II (give or take a few tweaks), as saved on my computer:

===

The players will be split into Townsfolk and Mafia on a 2 to 1 ratio. How you win the game is dependant on which team you're in.

TOWNSFOLK
WIN CONDITION: KILL ALL THE MAFIA
KILL METHOD: DAYTIME LYNCHING
Townsfolk are the uninformed majority. Their main advantage is that they have twice as many people as the mafia do - however, unlike the mafia, Townsfolk do not know the identity of other players, which means they have to rely on logic and observance of other players during the day to determine what their affiliation could be. This makes them open to manipulation by the mafia who mingle with them during the day and influence the lynch. The townsfolk are at a disadvantage in the early game, but get potentially stronger as the game continues.

MAFIA
WIN CONDITION: EQUAL OR SURPASS THE TOWNSFOLK IN NUMBER
KILL METHOD: MURDER AT NIGHT
Mafia are the informed minority. They are fewer in number than the townsfolk so deaths of their kin are much more costly, but their defining advantage is that they know who each other are, and are allowed to communicate with each other in secret to plan their strategy - who to kill, how to use their powers towards a common goal, and how to manipulate the townsfolk into lynching themselves. Unlike the townsfolk, they are a centralised faction and have a leader in THE BOSS, who is responsible for communicating the mafia's desires to the game moderator. Each night they are allowed to kill one townsfolk member, this is reached via popular decision. The mafia are strong at the beginning of the game but their strength level does not have as much capacity for growth as the Townsfolk's.

The game progresses in phases, each being a minimum of 12 hours in length at the beginning and shortening as neccecary as the game goes on. The two phases are DAY and NIGHT.

DAY PHASE
During the Day Phase, all players - mafia and townsfolk alike - must vote on who should be lynched. At the end of the phase, the one with the highest votes will be lynched and eliminated from the game. You may abstain from voting, and change your vote at any time you please - it is only made final when the phase ends. Townsfolk should be trying to figure out who is mafia by looking at voting patterns, trying to seperate lies and manipulation from truth, and then voting for who they have a good suspicion of being mafia. Mafia members on the other hand, pose as townsfolk and try to manipulate the townsfolk into hanging each other.

NIGHT PHASE
During the Night Phase, the Mafia plot on who to murder if they haven't already drawn up a plan. Once they have reached a decision, the Mafia Boss PMs the game moderator with which townsfolk member is going to die, and which mafia member is going to do the killing. Also in this phase, active role powers are brought into play - vigilante kills, taxi driver switches, and so forth. The Night Phase ends after a defined length of time (usually shorter than the day phase) to give players enough time to get their power callouts to my inbox.

Day and Night cycle repeatedly until either side wins. In other words, players are constantly being eliminated from the game.

POWER USAGE
All roles have their own special powers which sets them apart from other roles. These come in two forms - Passive and Active.
Passive powers are always in effect unless something happens to change or remove them. They do not have to be "called".
Active powers must be "called" by PMing the game moderator with a request to use your power, and stating the target/s if the power requires it. They can be called at any time, and will be put into effect at the end of the next night phase.
Powers can also be of Unlimited or Limited use. Unlimited powers can be used as many times throughout the game as the user pleases. Limited powers only have a set number of uses before they can be used anymore, however.
Bear in mind that powers may have other conditions that need to be adhered to. For example, Priests cannot protect themselves.

The order powers are used in are determined by role category. The order is thus:
DISRUPT > PROTECT > KILL > INVESTIGATE
The only exemption to this is the Wizard role, who always goes first.

DEATH
Keep in mind that you can die at pretty much any time of the game. When a player dies, their role is revealed to all the other players, and they are no longer able to post in the main thread or interact with the game in any way. You are NOT allowed a "ghost post" or parting shot, I realise that this is hard to enforce but please be aware it is seen as very rude, so do it at your own risk since I can't control what people will think of you.

FORBIDDEN THINGS:
1) Do not directly reveal another player's role.
You are allowed to reveal or lie about your own role as you please, but revealing another player's role directly will result in being expelled from the game. Revealing discovered interactions if you're a detective, psychic, or any other interaction-learning role is fine. Accusations or lists of your own suspicions are fine too - to be on the safe side, please state that you are accusing.
2) Do not use "Who's Online" to see who is sending PMs.
I realise this is incredibly hard to enforce and difficult to detect, but still, have some honour. You're not playing for a prize so don't screw other people over. For the same reason, i'd recommend using "Hide Online Status" in your profile if you're a game player. You don't have to, but it'll protect you from violators of this rule.
3) Don't take judgements personally.
Manipulation, accusation, treachery, judgements and all things of the sort are all parts of this game - do not join the game if you feel you cannot handle these things. Quitting in the middle of a game because you can't stand the heat of the kitchen is very disruptive to the game as a whole, so don't even think about it. On that note, though...
4) Keep it civil.
Manipulation, accusation, treachery, and judgements may well be parts of this game, but outright insulting another player isn't. This isn't the place to bring your grudges or spiteful streaks.
5) Don't make an ass out of u and me when it comes to rules or roles.
If you're not sure how something works, ASK! I'm not going to bite your head off, so if you need clarifications on any rules then it's better to ask me, by thread or PM, on how it works instead of assuming and making an illegal move because you didn't know.
6) If you die or are not an active player, please stay out of the game thread.
The main game thread is for living, active players - if you are killed or are simply a spectator, please come to this topic to post so that the players don't have to sift through clutter posts. Dead players may view the ongoing game and discuss it with other slain and spectators in the graveyard thread, but may NOT post in the main thread.
7) If you are an active player, please stay out of the graveyard thread.
In order to keep the game free of being influenced by outside suggestion, I would suggest staying out of the topic for dead players.

The rules are not set in stone until the game begins - feel free to pick at or critique anything you feel can be improved! The game is here for the players to enjoy and it's not doing a very good job if it's not enjoyable.

===

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 10:23:08 am »
I'll join this again.
Virus Buster.

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 10:30:13 am »
I think I'll join again too.
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Clockwerk

• Ultima Lord
  • Rule of thumb, Hassan. You can't kill the Messiah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 03:25:30 pm »
Could I join?
Yes. Power shifts more quickly than some people think.

Peace through Power!

Once again the world is quick to bury me.

For the foreseeable future... Comrade Chairman, I am the future!

He who controls the past commands the future. He who commands the future conquers the past.

No, I'm not God. But I'm a close second.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 07:47:57 pm »
I will join.  I like dying early.
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline blitzonator

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • A pic from the galactic zoo. What is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 04:49:54 am »
*Asks to join*
This will be great.  :D

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 05:21:06 am »
Mesa want to die, mesa Jar-Jar-binks!

Count me in!
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 05:54:29 am »
I liked the First one, count me in.
Quote from: Mr. Wizard
Flamester is truly a god among us.

Offline unlamp

• Bezerk Brawler
  • I'm Dreaming of a red X-mas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 07:58:11 am »
I would join.

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 09:47:21 pm »
I already PM'ed Luminar before this thread started. Go me!

I'll be leaving on the 16. Is that a problem?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 10:27:35 pm by Little »
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 10:12:31 pm »
I'm in