Awesomest name?

Staff Sgt Max Fightmaster
2 (25%)
Dick Pound
2 (25%)
Thone Grazeblaze the Rumoured Disemboweler
4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: The Mon-krai - Techno-trousers  (Read 20680 times)

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
The Mon-krai - Techno-trousers
« on: July 31, 2007, 05:42:12 am »

Pic by Neonlare

Basic Info

The Mon-krai are an avian race, which favor intellegence above all. Infact, there are even paths which the Man-krai must follow throughout their entire lives, they live through three stages in thier life:
Kar-ri (The Young ones, this is the childhood and where adolesence happens)

Kar-lo (The Old ones, according to their laws, this is the only stage which you can reproduce in)

Kar-ki (The Wise ones, these are the oldest and the smartest, thus the name "Wise Ones)

The creatures know little of their origins and evolution, it is either been lost, or at some point no-one realy cared.

The age is not measured by how long it has been alive, but by how wise it is, so to change from an Old one to a Wise one, you must first prove that you are smart enough in your current path.

The Paths

The path of a Mon-krai is chosen via an ancient and important test conducted 3 solar cycles after said Mon-krai is born. There are many paths, such as Jai-mor (craftsman), Hil-da (Biology), Dil-mi (physics) and Far-ti (leadership). These are not the only paths however, there are thousands more. Should a Mon-krai fully complete their path, they can either choose another path, or end their lives and be cremated.
The first choice is a very rare one, as by the time a path is fully mastered, they are elderly and too weak to continue, so they welcomly accept death, but also because it is the ultamate honour in their society to die that way.
However, there have been stories of some Mon-krai completing as many as five paths.

Culture

Most culture is based around the paths, a path of music would obviously mean making music their entire life, because of the races determination to complete their paths, most music, plays, books and poems are very well played/writen/acted.

Space Travel

Mon-krai could easily manage space travel, but however, they just can't be bothered, as they can complete all paths well and correctly on their planet, Karsk. However If another race contacts them, then they can quickly get their people in space.

History

Not only is there no path concerning learning about the history of the race, there is basicly nothing important that has ever happened in the history of the planet. No really, its not like they are hippies or hate war, its that they don't even know what war is, which is very strange seeing as the have existed on their planet for over 2 million years.

Fan Art woo!!!

These are my new favourites :D. They look fun, like an Aardman creation, anyhow, here's a quick flash drawing of the picture you did on MS Paint :P.

Done! Tried portraying the system that the Mon-Krai have, with the son being of a different proffession to the mother (had the image of Actor and Politician).

The Port-Mon (created by Ko-Kosi industries) was the first portable video games system developed on the homeworld of the Mon-Krai. The Port-Mon was a slow success, slowly moving along until the system was roughly 1 year old, which it then began to sell like hotcakes. The system would be scoffed at now days, but for the time it was revolutionary. With it's CPU being run by the Rono-Ka 20 core at 5.50 MHz, which also had intergrated sound generation (3 square waves, 2 triangle and 1 customizable sound wave) the system was very advanced for it's era. With an ability to display 5 colours on each sprite at one single time, and a colour range of over 30 basic colours, the system was a feat of technology. The downside was that the battery life wasn't as long as what might of been desired, lasting only 4 hours of continuous play with the sound up to maximum (alterable by pushing the menu button). The system consisted of a Joystick, 2 side buttons, and one menu button next to the joystick. The system was famous for it's puzzle and exploration games.

Here is the colour range for the Port-Mon, along with the sprite of the main character in the game "The Curse Anew."

The Curse Anew was an Exploration/Adventure game, not so disimilar to Metroid, La-Mulana or Castlevania. The player controled Koe-Kai, an archaeologist who by accident unleashes an unknown force of evil into the world. Koe-Kai also uncovered on this journey a sacred tool of defense, called the Kasa-Tae, which acted like a razor-sharp boomerang which in the game could head back towards the player after traveling a certain distance. This weapon could be later upgraded by the various items found in the treasure chests that litter the game's areas. Koe-Kai travels through the gigantic temple of the Unknown Evil, in order to reseal it before it could emerge and destroy the planet. The system was simple and basic, the Green button threw the Kasa-Tae, the Red button jumped. The Menu button paused the game, and enabled the player to save their progress at any stage of the game. There was an issue with the game's difficulty, that it became too hard past the second quarter of the game, but none-the-less it sold very well, and became the main mascot of Ko-Kosi Industries.

[EDIT]

Aaah, where would the Mon-Krai be without a police force? :p.

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/zzfg/The-Curse-Anew-Sample
A short sample of "The Curse Anew" soundtrack.

Here we go, two Mon-Krai practicing for a tournament! :p.

I asked for this one, but still...

Here you go PoW. Enjoy! ;D

I'll take suggestions, and fan art :P
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 07:44:55 am by Plank of Wood »

the real saviour of this forum

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
Re: The Mon-krai have joined the party!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 07:01:02 am »
I like it.

Partially just because they look like intelligent, blue penguins.

And 'cause they're incidental hippies.

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 08:04:24 am »
All fear the blue geeky hippie penguins!

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 08:46:15 am »

Kar-ri (The Young ones, this is the childhood and where adolesence happens)

Kar-lo (The Old ones, according to their laws, this is the only stage which you can reproduce in)

Kar-ki (The Wise ones, these are the oldest and the smartest, thus the name "Wise Ones)

The creatures know little of their origins and evolution, it is either been lost, or at some point no-one realy cared.

The age is not measured by how long it has been alive, but by how wise it is, so to change from an Old one to a Wise one, you must first prove that you are smart enough in your current path.

The Paths

The path of a Mon-krai is chosen via an ancient and important test conducted 3 solar cycles after said Mon-krai is born. There are many paths, such as Jai-mor (craftsman), Hil-da (Biology), Dil-mi (physics) and Far-ti (leadership). These are not the only paths however, there are thousands more. Should a Mon-krai fully complete their path, they can either choose another path, or end their lives and be cremated.
The first choice is a very rare one, as by the time a path is fully mastered, they are elderly and too weak to continue, so they welcomly accept death, but also because it is the ultamate honour in their society to die that way.
However, there have been stories of some Mon-krai completing as many as five paths.

Culture

Most culture is based around the paths, a path of music would obviously mean making music their entire life, because of the races determination to complete their paths, most music, plays, books and poems are very well played/writen/acted.

Space Travel

Mon-krai could easily manage space travel, but however, they just can't be bothered, as they can complete all paths well and correctly on their planet, Karsk. However If another race contacts them, then they can quickly get their people in space.

History

Not only is there no path concerning learning about the history of the race, there is basicly nothing important that has ever happened in the history of the planet. No really, its not like they are hippies or hate war, its that they don't even know what war is, which is very strange seeing as the have existed on their planet for over 2 million years.

I'll take suggestions, and fan art :P

Do you, by any chance, play Tau in Warhammer 40k? I think you'd like them. Good creature.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 08:48:57 am »
I play Warhammer 40k, I watched my freind play as the Tau against Space Marine army, he lost but the SM army was full of cheese.

No, I play as the Daemonhunters, only because I get to boss around the Imperial Guard AND the space marines!

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 08:55:01 am »
Very very nice. Your friend would've won if he played mechtau (every infantry has a transport, etc.)

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 09:02:56 am »
A) This was his second match ever
B) He kept on charging at the Command post (it was take and hold)
C) I had never seen so many dreadnoughts in my life

Offline PikMini

• Scramble Skipper
  • o_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 10:04:34 am »
xD diabolical blue penguns

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 10:15:16 am »
Its hard for them to be evil when they have no idea what evil is  :)

Offline Neonlare

• Dragster Diehard
  • The Hira-Bira Cometh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 02:18:35 pm »
These are my new favourites :D. They look fun, like an Aardman creation, anyhow, here's a quick flash drawing of the picture you did on MS Paint :P.

Nurizeko

"What the hell is this? your TV is broken..."
<light being> "*droooool* jesus look at those tones"

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 02:21:10 pm »
Woah!  :o :o :o :o :o :o

It was done on photoshop, but same differance.

That is so going on the first post.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 02:22:55 pm by Plank of Wood »

Offline Neonlare

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 02:25:14 pm »
Woah!  :o :o :o :o :o :o

It was done on photoshop, but same differance.

That is so going on the first post.

And damn, I'm gonna do more :p. You can add these to the description thing, or tell me anything you'd like drawn, like a scene or some such, and I'll see what I do do :). Seriously, I really dig this race.
Nurizeko

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 02:28:11 pm »
Who doesn't dig a race of all knowing blue penguins?

Anywho, because I have the artistic skills of a can of pepsi, could you draw me a Mon-krai with a Young-one (which is just a mini verson) holding its hand ?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 02:32:58 pm by Plank of Wood »

Offline Neonlare

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 02:50:51 pm »
Who doesn't dig a race of all knowing blue penguins?

Anywho, because I have the artistic skills of a can of pepsi, could you draw me a Mon-krai with a Young-one (which is just a mini verson) holding its hand ?

Sure, what clothes should they be wearing, where should they be facing? etc.
Nurizeko

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 02:56:11 pm »
The facing away over an iceberg over the sea, oh, and those robes are basicly all they wear, feel free to make up the symbols.