Author Topic: Ashes of Vancouver - Zombie Apocalypse Adventure Game (ZAAG)  (Read 15988 times)

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
    • Genesis - Spore Game Forum
Welcome to the latest ZAAP - Zombie Apocalypse Adventure Game. It's your quintessential ZAAP, with a storyline twist. What is it? Well, you can either play the game, or read David Moody's Autumn, the first book of a series available free online. It's a great book and inspired me to write this ZAAP. I'm semi-new to these forums, but have a long background of internet games. Three ongoing Spore games, two of which have been going on for more than a year, and several now dead adventure games on other forums. Still, I don't plan on just bailing out on you guys, so hang tight.
-------------------------------------------------
You watch the next person in line unload of all their groceries onto the dirty, stain-ridden counter top of the Chinese grocery store you work at. The customer is an old Chinese woman, the kind who wears gaudy sun hats and carries a cane to help her with her hunched walk. She's buying various kitchen ingredients. Canned chicken broth, some Bok Choy, and some ground pork. Sighing, you grab the items and hike them over the scanner so the cash register can register their prices. It's another hopelessly dreary and boring day in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. A light drizzle falls outside. Not new for Vancouver. Same old rain, same old job, same old...

The Chinese lady in front of you starts coughing. The coughing elevates into a rough hacking, and she grabs onto the counter for balance. Looking into your eyes desperately for help, she puts a hand to her throat, and keels over, dead. Blood is coming from her mouth. Horrified, you look around the store, and suddenly hear a cacophony of hacking. Everyone else in the store is violently hurling up blood, and within a few minutes, they're all keeled over on the floor, dead. For a moment, everything is quiet - but the sounds of violent coughing come from outside as well. You see a driver grab his throat and lose control of his car, crashing into a dollar store.

Ripping off your dirty apron, you run outside. Everyone is dead - dead bodies litter the sidewalks. Cars have either come to a rough stop or have crashed into walls and stores, their drivers dead before they were able to properly stop. You are alone.

Dead silence.

What do you do?
A. Go to the back of the store and curl into the fetal position, and try to calm yourself down.
B. Clear the store of bodies and close up, ensuring your security.
C. Start looting the various stores for...
----- I. Pleasure supplies, like cigarettes and electronics.
----- II. Survival supplies, like canned food and camping equipment.
D. Wander the streets and call out, to see if there are any other survivors.
E. Grab a car and try to drive back to your apartment.
F. Take out your cellphone and call...
----- I. Your girlfriend.
----- II. Your best friend.
----- III. The cops.

Quote from: Plank of Wood
It's a lot quicker to type normally than to move your finger over the shift button constantly, meaning you eat slightly more food in your life time. That extra food you have to eat could feed a whole nation of chinchillas!

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
Re: Ashes of Vancouver - Zombie Apocalypse Adventure Game (ZAAG)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 11:12:18 pm »
E. We all know what's gonna happen, so not being in the midst of it when it does is a good idea.

Offline Kratok

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
  • Probably dead at this point!
    • View Profile
    • [url=http://la-mulana.com/en/][img]http://la-mulana.com/banner/half_banner3.gif[/img][/url]
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 11:25:53 pm »
F.1 while your at it. We need to reproduce afterall ;)

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 12:39:27 am »
C. Start looting the various stores for...
----- III. GUN STORE!  (They do have those in Canada, right?)
E. Grab a car and try to drive back to your apartment.
----- I. Your girlfriend.
Grab a LARGE PICKUP TRUCK or a HUMVEE. 
Phone as you drive.  Find out if she can make it to your place or if you have to pick her up.
Stop at a gun store/pawn shop on the way.

Where are we?
Vancouver, BC
Thriller Outdoor Gear! <--- We must go there!
Shopping Malls.

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 12:43:32 am »
We're on Kingsway and Victoria, if that matters any. ;)
It's a lot quicker to type normally than to move your finger over the shift button constantly, meaning you eat slightly more food in your life time. That extra food you have to eat could feed a whole nation of chinchillas!

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 12:50:21 am »
Not really, but we should try to get the flavor text right.   ;)

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 01:35:01 am »
I've lived in Vancouver for all my life and I only know of ONE gun store in a city of a couple million. That's Canada for you, eh? Anyways, there's no gun store around you.

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 01:58:38 am »
Looking around outside, you numbly decide to carjack a car and drive back to your apartment, a ten minute drive away. There are five cars scattered around the streets, three of which are embedded deep into brick walls and glass store displays. There is blood splatter on the windshields, and you can't bring yourself to look at the mutilated faces of the dead drivers. The only other two cars in working condition are a 1999 Toyota Camry Solara with a violet paintjob, and a red 2006 Honda CR-V. You walk up to the CR-V, nimbly stepping between bodies. You open the driver's seat, and are immediately repulsed by the closeness of the corpse in front of you. There lies the body of a middle-aged Asian man, his seatbelt still around his torso. A drop of blood rolls out the corner of his mouth. Your gag reflex comes up, but then you notice the back seat. A young girl lies sideways, her head resting on the armchair. Beside her is a baby. Both are dead.

Revulsed by the gruesome discovery, you reel back and vomit on the cement. Suddenly, you realize the enormity of your situation. Shock is setting in. Even if you were to secure the car, would you be willing to drive through the bodies lieing across the crosswalk? Or would you spend extra time clearing the bodies off the road?

Feeling desperately lonely, you reach for your cell-phone and dial your girlfriend, looking for comfort. You let the phone ring ten times before you finally give up. She's dead. Perhaps everyone's dead. Perhaps you're the only person left alive in Vancouver. In Canada. On the Earth?

What do you do?
A. Go to the back of the grocery store and curl into the fetal position, and try to calm yourself down.
B. Clear the grocery store of bodies and close up, ensuring your security.
C. Enter one of the various stores around you...
----- I. London Drugs.
----- II. Anna's Cake House.
----- II. A vacant 7-11, empty of all supplies.
----- II. McDonald's.
----- II. Roger's Video.
----- II. The Bank of Montreal.
----- II. A nearby flower shop.
D. Wander the streets and call out, to see if there are any other survivors.
E. Clear the Honda of bodies and continue to your apartment...
----- I. After clearing the crosswalk and road of bodies.
----- II. Ignoring the bodies and driving over them.
----- I. Your home, where your mom, dad, and younger sister live.
----- II. Your best friend.
----- III. The cops.

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 02:06:02 am »
C. Enter one of the various stores around you...
----- II. The Bank of Montreal.
----- I. Your home, where your mom, dad, and younger sister live.
The Bank.  You do have ARMED guards in Canada right?

Walk and Talk.  You can do it! 

Your family should have the same genetic immunity you seem to have.

Offline Kratok

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
  • Probably dead at this point!
    • View Profile
    • [url=http://la-mulana.com/en/][img]http://la-mulana.com/banner/half_banner3.gif[/img][/url]
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 02:43:20 am »
Lets try to call some other people first, or go to the grocery store and calm down. The reality of all your families deaths might be a nerve racker

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 03:26:43 am »
Taking deep breaths, you managed to calm down temporarily. It then occurs to you to try to call your family, who live twenty minutes away. Ring...ring...ring...ring...ring.... With each further ring, you feel your only hope getter further and further away. There's no one left...no one. Out of frustration, you throw your phone down on the ground, and it scatters a few feet away. Looking up, you see the Bank of Montreal, a small bank with a bright blue sign. Feeling hopeless, you aimless wander inside. It's interior is modestly furnished in dull grey and brown tones. The air smells and tastes musty, and the bodies of dead staff members litter the floor. A security guard in a bright yellow jacket lies face-down not far away from you, and you investigate his body, hopeful for a weapon. Turning him over, you realize that he's an old man, probably over 60. This was probably a job given to him out of pity. He couldn't subdue a 13-year old, let alone a bank robber. As you guessed, he has no weapon on him. A bank branch this small and decrepit didn't need real security. Tears begin to fall out of your eyes as you realize the hopelessness of it all. The world is dead, and you can hear nothing but...

Ring. Ring. Ring.

...a ringing tone? Your cellphone! Rushing back outside, you grab it. Caller I.D. identifies the caller as your girlfriend. You press the talk button and put it to your ear, hopeful.

"Hello?"

It's a man's voice, and not one that you recognize. You frown.

"Hello? Where's Leah?" you ask.

"Leah? Is that the girl who's phone I...who's this?"

"Is Leah okay? Who are you? Let me talk to Leah!"

"Leah's dead. Like everyone else. Has it happened where you are too?"

You guessed as much before, but now that Leah's death has been confirmed your heart sinks. A great pain rises in your chest. You loved her...

"Y...yeah. Who are you, where are you?"

"Name's Tyler. I'm by the McDonald's up Kingsway. Sorry about your loss."

"Yeah. I'm John. Do you know what happened?"

"I don't know. Everyone just started choking and fell to the ground, dead. Some guy who lost control of his car nearly hit me."

"How did you know to call me?"

"I was walking around and heard her phone beeping. When I picked it up, it said 'Call missed' in the past ten minutes, so I knew that someone else was alive. Thought I was the only one left for a bit."

"That's good to know. Listen, I'm not far away, I'm on Victoria and Kingsway, near Victoria Square. Wanna meet up?"

What do you say back to Tyler?
A. "Listen. I'm not far away. I'm at Victoria Square. Wanna meet up?"
B. "Hold on, I'm not far away. Stay where you are, I'll come to you."
C. Hang up.

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 03:44:25 am »
You know, I think I'll just let you guys do freeform votes instead of giving you preset options. It limits your creativity so much. Ask lots of questions if you need to know stuff, I'll be here.

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 04:04:52 am »
Meet the guy somewhere.

As you're heading to the meeting place be on the lookout for someone that died while trying to get into their car or buying gas.
Then you can just take the keys from their hand or pocket and not have to clean out a car.
Or if there is a car dealership near by, they tend to have their keys labeled next to a nice grid map of the dealership.

Use your phone.  Call everybody on your speed dial.

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 11:20:37 am »
Yay! I have a succesor! I fully support this.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 12:52:59 pm by Little »
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline OathinBlood

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Cthulhu Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 03:00:03 pm »
"You know the Canadian Tire, across from Blockbusters?", you ask.

"Yeah. Are we meeting there?"

"Sure. See you in a few."

You start making your way there, stepping amongst the dead bodies. You never realized quite how loud the city was, quite how many people walked it's streets...until they all died. The light drizzle misted their bodies and cast a grey sky. Dreary. Five minutes later, in the parking lot of a Golden Swan restaurant, you see a man in a crisp-looking business suit, his crumpled form laying by his car door. The door is slightly ajar. Pushing your survival instinct over your respect for the dead, you check his hand and find car keys to his purple 2000 Toyota Corolla. After you clear the road and parking lot of bodies, you take the car and drive over to the Canadian Tire, passing several restaurants, cafes, another bank, and a gas station. Soon, the large cement building looms over you. Canadian Tire. A large hardware store with it's own auto-repair centre. It'd be a useful place in a survival situation, built like a cement bunker.

"Hey!" a bulky man walks over to your car. He's dressed in black jeans and white polo shirt, and looks slightly shocked. "Way to make an entrance."

"Hehe...yeah." you mutter. It's hard to laugh, considering the circumstances.

"So...uhh...what should we do?" asks Tyler. "The world's gone to hell."