Author Topic: 6 questions  (Read 3800 times)

Offline PikMini

• Scramble Skipper
  • o_o
    • View Profile
6 questions
« on: July 30, 2007, 08:43:54 am »
6 basic questions that have been bugging me

1- Your planet has moons, no? 
    So by having, say, 7 moons..  and being far away from the sun.. wont their be like total darkness on most of the planet?

2- There IS Daytime and Night.. right?
    Because, i really havent found anything about it.. and when its night will they sleep or...

3- Is there Nocturnal creatures?!
    Or are they just daydwellers..

4- They can swim, But once they evolve, can they?
    I mean you at one point CAN swim, so even when you are a land creature, can you still retain the ability..

5- Well i hardly know anything about herbivores in this game,
    Anyone know anything besides, that they happen to be nicer, they eat leaves.. Can they eat grass? Is there fruits?

6- Is there random things that occur?
    Flashfire.. thunder, lighting, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes..
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 09:14:34 am by PikMini »

Offline Dragontrapper

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
Re: 6 questions
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 09:30:39 am »
1 - yes planets, have moon - weather or not they decrease planetary light levels is unknown. Wouldn't they only block the sun in an eclipse?

2 - yes, there is a day, night cycle

3 - I don't see why not. They put in one of the most advanced creature disgners ever made, I think they could put in a toggle between diurnal and Nocturnal.

4 - once again, nothing confirmed, but it would make sense if your creatures had some swimming ability

5 - Since there is a plant editor, I'm pretty sure you can have fruits and grasses

6 - unknown, but that would be cool

Offline falloutboy14

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 09:33:58 am »
    So by having, say, 7 moons..  and being far away from the sun.. wont their be like total darkness on most of the planet?

I've never seen a planet in game with more then a few moons.  And the one I remember seeing was more of a jupiter type planet, where the only suspected life was on the moon.  I think the majority of the planets I've seen don't have a moon.

Because, i really havent found anything about it.. and when its night will they sleep or...

I haven't seen much info on day/night.  From some videos, there is definately night-time.  I remember early videos where the willosaurus are dancing around the fire at night. 

I mean you at one point CAN swim, so even when you are a land creature, can you still retain the ability..

I don't think this is known with any certainty.

Anyone know anything besides, that they happen to be nicer, they eat leaves.. Can they eat grass? Is there fruits?
I think herbivores are restricted to eating fruit.  It restricts the food supply, so herbivores need to congregrate.

Haven't seen these, but possible.

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 10:26:56 am »
6 basic questions that have been bugging me

1. We don't know how many moons we can have, nor how they effect lighting.

2. We know there is a day and night cycle, but not how it affects creatures.

3. No idea.

4. There aint no damn underwater phase anymore!

5. From what we know, your herbivores can eat fruit and, we assume, you can eat leaves.

6. There is a weather system. That's all we know.

Rest assured, Spore will indeed be awesome.

Offline LaFinAbsolueDuMonde

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 11:52:22 am »
Even though the underwater phase seems to have been removed, I think creatures with certain parts, like maybe webbed feet and hands, and fins, may still be able to swim. The only practical purpose of this would be short-distance travel and fishing, if they are carnivorous. I have seen bipedal human-like creatures fishing in very shallow water near the shore. More advanced creatures would be better off using boats for long-distance water travel. And there has definitely been mention of day and night cycles, but I doubt you can have nocturnal creatures.

Offline Evildude

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 12:01:08 pm »
Even though the underwater phase seems to have been removed, I think creatures with certain parts, like maybe webbed feet and hands, and fins, may still be able to swim. The only practical purpose of this would be short-distance travel and fishing, if they are carnivorous. I have seen bipedal human-like creatures fishing in very shallow water near the shore. More advanced creatures would be better off using boats for long-distance water travel. And there has definitely been mention of day and night cycles, but I doubt you can have nocturnal creatures.

I believe in one of the videos there is a boat that goes across the ocean and shoots a hut with a mean looking laser. Nocturnal creatures aren't hard to do - only do active things at night while sleeping during the day. If its like a Sims meter system it will work out that your creature will get tired by sunrise and wake up by sunset. Your food might be asleep then also, making the kill much easier.
I need a sig because the lack of one annoys me.
Life, the Universe, and Everything
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Evildude

Offline LaFinAbsolueDuMonde

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 12:21:52 pm »
I wasn't referring to boats theoretically or realistically, those are the in-game boats I was referring to. An energy meter has been seen, but how could you designate what is, and what is not, a nocturnal creature. No such choice has ever been shown or even hinted at. It wouldn't make sense for there to be diurnal creatures in abundance for a nocturnal creature to feed on, because that would make the game too easy. If there were noctural creatures, then its ecosystem would consist of mostly the same.

Offline ChristianSkunk

• Astrosmasher!
  • I stink, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 12:41:47 pm »
Hmmm.  I was going to say that moons need not ever eclipse the sun on all planets, but I guess I don't know enough about planetary movements.  Thinking of rings now, I might guess all objects about a planet would want to spin on the same plane, and with a tilt, occasionally and predictably the moon would eclipse the sun.  Anyone know for sure?  Are all of Jupiter's moons on the same plane, just different distances?

I don't have a fast connection so I'm not going to look up my reference, but in one of the recent screenshots (from TED maybe?) didn't it say the character needed to eat some more fruit?  Maybe herbs can eat grass too for energy, but only fruits give DNA points?

262 Days, 20 Hours, 18 Minutes, 24 Seconds.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day."
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent." - R.D. Laing
"It's only by fate that any life ends and only by chance that it is mine, not yours."

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 12:48:03 pm »
imo, having seven moons would probably increase the amount of light you get on the planet. The number and duration of eclipses is negligible compared to the amount of light that the moons might reflect onto the planet from the sun. I don't really know how this might work in spore though. They probably won't include something so complex as this.

As Inevitable as Life Itself. Spread the Joy.

My Sporepedia page:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Aligon

The Agnoculus:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7619.0

Offline PikMini

• Scramble Skipper
  • o_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 12:52:05 pm »
 ??? You guys lost me after first couple words, anywho i think i got my answers... i think..

Offline ChristianSkunk

• Astrosmasher!
  • I stink, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 12:57:30 pm »
Unfortunately around here, the answers to most questions can be summed up thusly:  We don't know, but { taking this quote out of context... | looking at this blurry screenshot... | guessing from previous games... | it's only logical that... | OMG it would so suxxors if thats not in!!!one!!eleventyone!! | (etc) }   ;D
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day."
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent." - R.D. Laing
"It's only by fate that any life ends and only by chance that it is mine, not yours."

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 04:07:47 pm »
Yep, that's how it goes round these parts.

Offline I am the Cheese

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 05:25:58 pm »
You can only have an eclipse if your moon is large enough that it appears to an observer on the surface to be the same size or larger than the planet's star.

Curiously, the Earth's moon appears identical to the sun's size which is why total eclipses are possible here. I doubt this is a common occurance unversally; it's certainly unique to the solar system. The three other rocky planets we've been able to observe either have no moons at all or very small ones.

Of course... in Spore you could certainly design a moon to be the correct size.

Which begs the question- what about the tides? If you make a massive moon and place it close to the planet's orbit will you have huge 40 foot high waves? And if so, can you give your creatures surf boards?
"I am the Cheese. I am the Best Character on the Show. I am Better than Both the Salami and Bologna Combined."

Offline helio-G

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 05:35:10 pm »

Curiously, the Earth's moon appears identical to the sun's size which is why total eclipses are possible here. I doubt this is a common occurance unversally; it's certainly unique to the solar system.

If the Universe is as big as they say it is (infinite) then there are an infinite number of star systems with planets that have eclipses.
And if its 32 billion light years across then it could have trillions.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 05:37:07 pm by helio-G »