Author Topic: Florauna -- My New Creature  (Read 17070 times)

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
Florauna -- My New Creature
« on: July 29, 2007, 11:01:19 pm »
Since the Exploration of Darmet died and Spore Caveman never got off the ground, I'm doing it the old fassioned way :D

Name: Florauna
Type: Warm-blooded Arborial Planimal
Lifestyle: Social Photosynthesizer
Habitat: Thickly vegitated jungles to sparsely treed plains.
Size: 5 feet when fully erect, 2 feet at sholder when walking.
Weight: 125 lbs average
Diet: Sunlight and absorbed nutrients
Hunt/Forage Success Rate: (pre-sapience) 46% (post-sapience) 79%
Armor: None.
Defenses: Speed, intellegence.
Tools: Tribal stage.
Method of Eating: Photosynthesis
Lifespan: 240 of their years, 60 of ours.
Reproductive Rate: Reatches maturity at age 16. No breeding season
Gestation: 35 days, then seeds are dropped.
Offspring incubation: Seeds grow into young Florauna after 12 days.
Number of Offspring: 1-3 children. 50% chance Female, 50% Bemale or Cemale, depending on father.
Offspring Survival Rate: (pre-sapience) 45% (post-sapience) 85%
Speech Style: A combonation of snorts/whistles, gestures, and fur color
Singular/Plural/Possessive: Florauna/Florauna/Floraunan

Okay... My computer just crashed and this was the last point I saved at. I can't be bothered to type up the other two sections right now, cause it's 11 PM over here. That'll come tomarrow.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
Re: Florauna -- My New Creature
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 05:55:47 am »
Okay, looks cool, but a small question, what's the difference between Bemale, Cemale and Female?

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline PikMini

• Scramble Skipper
  • o_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 08:02:04 am »
Cool! havent seen any humanoids yet

mabe cemale stronger then bemale. reminds me of like alpha male
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 08:10:04 am by PikMini »

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 12:06:38 pm »
Okay, looks cool, but a small question, what's the difference between Bemale, Cemale and Female?

Females are the ones who give birth to the young
Bemales are smaller and faster, and Cemales are larger and stronger. Both are just two different kinds of males.

Evolution:

From single cell to a wriggling colony of cells, the evolution of the Florauna started in the prehistoric seas of Darmet millions of years ago. The plants moved onto land and developed a mobile spore stage, allowing the young to find good growing conditions and move away from the parents to prevent over-crowding. Enviromental pressures caused the plants to get rid of the adult stage of their life cycle and stay mobile. Since they needed to stay still to feed during the day, they became active at night to forage for water and nutrients. However, the sleeping spores made easy prey for herbivores, forcing them up into the trees during the day. As the herbivores followed them up, they developed social skills and better climbing abilities. Eventually they gained sapience.

Cool! havent seen any humanoids yet

The community isn't very accepting of humanoids, mostly because they usually aren't very original, although there are a few exceptions. One way to make a humanoid original is to give it some rather bizzare internal anatomy... Which is coming next post...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 01:40:15 pm by Darth Grievi »

Offline LaFinAbsolueDuMonde

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 12:08:55 pm »
Light-green, fast, humanoid, jungle-dwelling tribal webbed-feet sapien hunter-gatherers? Didn't happen to see my Hockgin recently did you? I'd say the jungle isn't big enough for both of them, surely they would fight.

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 12:11:50 pm »
Sorry, but I'm confused:

So, they forage and hunt for nutrients to absorb and sunlight to catch? Or am I missing something obvious?

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 12:19:15 pm »
Actually, no....

Their inspiration came from these dudes from the upcomming game "Star Wars: The Force Unleashed"

And as for the jungle not being big enough... All they need is sunlight, water, dirt, and fresh air. Come on, they're plants for goodness sake... that move... and are intellegent... yeah...

Sorry, but I'm confused:

So, they forage and hunt for nutrients to absorb and sunlight to catch? Or am I missing something obvious?

Ooops... shoulda specified that... It's the success rate of finding a patch of dirt that has the proper minerals within the time their sugar supplies allow them to move. But that was kinda long to put down.... :-\

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 12:24:09 pm »
Ah. That makes a lot more sense, thanks. Also, are they territorial, or do multiple Florauna dwell together in various dirt patches? Also, are the predators who eat them Herbivores or Carnivores  ;D?

I really love your creature by the way. Do you mind if the Bards are allies with them (or something like that?)

Offline LaFinAbsolueDuMonde

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 12:31:15 pm »
The Hockgin would never hunt them to extinction, they're smarter than that. But they'd have a great time hunting these down since they are fast, and camouflaged, like they are. What do you think they'd be like to eat? I'm thinking, blood broccoli.

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 12:36:04 pm »
Crunchy, yet full of iron! Yum!

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 01:39:15 pm »
Also, are they territorial, or do multiple Florauna dwell together in various dirt patches? Also, are the predators who eat them Herbivores or Carnivores  ;D?

I really love your creature by the way. Do you mind if the Bards are allies with them (or something like that?)

They're communal, living in goups of up to 10 or so. I concider their predators herbivores, although they could just as easily be called carnivores... omnivores?
And yes, I'd like an alliance. Do you want to start the RP thread or should I?

What do you think they'd be like to eat? I'm thinking, blood broccoli.

lol... I'd say they'd taste something like a BLT :D

Detailed Anatomy:

Muscular System: Not too different from our muscles, they just run on straight sugar. They connect to the bones in pairs or simply wrap around each other to move the arms, head, etc. The muscles take up most of the body weight.

Nervous System: The nervous system is made up of six different brains. The five minor ones in the head, sholders, and hips pre-process the sensory information comming from the eyes (sight), nostrils (smell), skin (light intensity), and feet/hands (taste and touch). These smaller brains also control the movement of their section of the body. The large major brain in the abdomen handles complex thought, coordination, memory, and other higher brain functions.

Skeletal System: To save on weight, there are only nine bones in the Florauna skeleton. These sturdy structures provide leverage and support for the climbing limbs. They also give protection to the eyes, reproductive system, and water intake/sugar distribution vessels.

Respiratory System: Opening to the outside world via six nostrils on the head, the lungs of a Florauna are a complex maze of air sacks. During the day, they absorb carbon dioxide to help fuel photosynthesis, while at night they take in oxygen to help the muscles and brain metabolize the sugars from the day before.

Hydrocirculatory System: (Left side only for ease of viewing. Intake route darkened) Transporting water absorbed by the permiable skin on the hands and feet, the Hydrocirculatory system functions simmilar to our heart and blood vessels. The main difference is that after the water is absorbed, it is taken to a pair of sack-like organs in the body and held untill photosynthesis begins. It is then fed to the skin and used to produce sugars, which are then taken by the...

Photocirculatory System: (Right side only for ease of viewing. Intake route darkened) The Photocirculatory system takes the sugars produced by photosynthesis and stores it in a seperate pair of sack-like organs in the main body. At night, this fuel is fed to the main organs to be metabolized.

Reproductive System: Although it looks the same in all three genders, the Female's produces eggs which develop into seeds when fertilized by a Bemale or Cemale. In the males the sack at the base of the tube makes sperm to fertilize the Female's egg. The seeds-in-making grow inside the Female's sack for a month or so, then are sneezed out and nurtured by the group untill they grow into a young Florauna.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 01:40:42 pm by Darth Grievi »

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 02:48:42 pm »
Very interesting race! Love them, very detailed. Keep up the good work.

Share some culture with us please.

By the way if you'll ever RP contact me, the Urshans love other races with such brain divisions.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 03:41:04 pm »
Culture:

Tribes: When a few family groups get together, they form a tribe. Tribes usually have 30-40 members and all share the same forraging grounds. These usually consist of a central tree and all the ground and trees within a coupple of miles, along with any creatures within. The tribe members also share all the tools and weapons owned by the tribe, as personal belongings are an alien concept to them.

Pharks: Large, noisy planimals, Pharks inhabit the plains and woodlands of Darmet. They live in small herds of up to 5 and feed on plants as well as photosynthesize. Like humans with wolves, the Florauna eventually domesticated the Phark and now use them as guards against other herbivores as well as a means of transportation. Florauna are not very good at walking long distances and preffer to climb their way around, so when traveling across the plains, they ride the Pharks during the night and are guarded by them during the day. To show ownership of a herd, tribes will often paint their symbol onto the Phark's sail. Pharks reproduce by growing their young on their long trunk. When they are big enough, they drop off into a waiting lake or river where they live as small, fish-like animals untill they metamorphosize into adults.

Tools: Although the Florauna are in their tribal stage, they have recently discovered how to shape metal into useful items. They have made tools for cutting, drilling, splitting, pounding, painting, defense, carving, and even for making other tools. More pictures and info on this later.

Language and Dances: The Florauna language is made up of a series of snorts, grunts, and whistles from forcing air out of the nostrils, the color and brightness of the patch of fur behind those, and varrious gestures, movements, and poses. The vocal part often denotes the tense (past/present/future) and the beginning/end of the message. The gestures convey the core meaning of the message, such as "Help" or "Come over here". The fur, which can change color and even glow dimly, gives the message emotion, simmilar to a tone of voice in humans. Some colors and their emotion include;

Light blue= Fear
Aqua= Tense
Blue-green= Depressed, sad
Light green= Happy, content
Deep green= Relaxed
Dark green= Asleep
Yellow-green= Curious
Pale yellow-green= Suprised
Dark yellow-green= Confused
Pale yellow= Tired
Bright Yellow= Excited
Brown= Grossed out or sick
Dark brown= Hungry/thirsty
Maroon= Upset or angry
Black= Very sick or tired, near death.

A glow indicates a very strong version of the emotion
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 01:41:05 pm by Darth Grievi »

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 04:18:54 pm »
Again, very, very nice. Do you mind making the RP thread? Your creature is very well established. I just need to add a few tribal/civ phase things.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 05:13:34 pm »
So thats where ya got the cool hands from. :/ I thought you made them up.