Author Topic: The Bards  (Read 10490 times)

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
The Bards
« on: July 28, 2007, 07:55:38 pm »
The Long Awaited ( ;)) Bards have finally arrived!

Domestic to their home planet of New Edonae, the Bards have adapted to the thick and hazy atmosphere by not adapting sight, nor smell, but sound. The Bards have, as their name indicates, became intricately adapted to the vibrations in the air of their dense atmosphere. They communicate not by normal methods, but by the vibration and air blow through the membranes of the thick, hollow spines on their thorax. Although they have eyes, they are very weak, picking up only black and white. There are three holes in their externalized skull-mask, which is the only skeletal structure external to the skin.

The first set of holes (the top one in the picture) indicates their sense of smell, which, although weak, helps to transport all necessary materials throughout the body. The second set (outmost, also the smallest) is their primary inhaling node, which brings gases into their system which also aid the circulatory system. The innermost hole is used to consume food, utilizing spine-like hairs that prick and break down food into digestible portions, within the hole.

Their fingers and toes are also a strange adaptation. They can easily retract into the thick skin of the appendage, forming a club-like limb that is used for self defense. The toes (as well as their reproduction apparatus) can also do likewise, but for what purpose is unknown for now.

The holes along the spine and abdomen are the "ears" of the creatures. They vibrate and trigger neural reactions which are then sent to the brain.

The abdomen itself is an interesting feature, where the secondary hub of the creature is located. The heart, a small secondary brain specializing mainly in analysis, as well as a massive air sac and hole-riddled bone, which amplifies this creature's capability to create noise, which are what powers this creature's capability to create the massively powerful noises that is it capable of.

Their spinal structure (picture coming soon, hold on) is also unique, utilising only 3 major bones: the skull, the spinal node (a unique bone that is capable of sliding up and down the spinal cord, thus extending or compacting the body), and the air sac bone, which is again riddled with holes and canals specifically designed to create (with ease) the large amount of highly complex noises in their language.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 07:44:03 am by Mae »

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
Re: The Bards
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 09:57:25 pm »
Niiice!

I love echolocating creatures... so awesome...

Cool picture too. You should join the TAA, you're quite the artist.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 03:21:44 am »
Can I intro them to the gaaxy? Pleeeeaaaase?
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 03:24:03 am »
Can I intro them to the gaaxy? Pleeeeaaaase?

I remember when we intro'd you! My Little Forumgoer is growing up!

[/Pride].
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 03:26:11 am »
Lol, I rember it as joining the bad guy, then wimping out just before the bad guy was beaten, then I went into full scale civil war?
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 03:46:40 am »
This is a very good creature.

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 07:35:08 am »
Thanks!  :D Feel free to add it to the Galaxy. This is totally going to be my new avatar creature.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 07:38:55 am »
I like this. Any plans for updates?

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 07:47:12 am »
I just did. That, and I'll add a whole blurb on spacecraft, culture, tribal, and maybe evolution, but first, I still need to work on pictures for anatomy.

Also, if anyone is willing to take up the challenge of colouring this beast, please feel free.

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 01:31:16 pm »
Wowee, theis is very nice. One of the most original I've seen so far. (seriously, no joke!)

I really hope you stick around.

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 12:09:42 pm »
Sorry for the double post, but here is the Skeletal and Nervous systems in the Bards anatomy (the next thing is Tribal on my list, and that includes primitive culture, tools, etc.) Here are the pics:

In this picture, you can clearly see the unique skeletal structure, full of adaptive bones that stretch (dotted arrows), and move in gyroscopic motions (normal arrows)

Here (in this amazingly poorly drawn picture), you can (roughly) see the twin brains, as well as most of the nerves in the body.

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 02:54:19 pm »
Wow I love your creature, so biologically unique.

Great job, nice update.

Offline PikMini

• Scramble Skipper
  • o_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 04:45:06 pm »
I like the nervous sys/skelly i should do that too  :(

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 06:07:10 pm »
Thanks guys. Expect a tribal update tomorrow. Hopefully very unique.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 09:27:27 pm »
awesome
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]