Author Topic: Metal gear solid 4, Hideo's final masterpiece  (Read 15599 times)

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
  • Raised from the dead!!!
    • View Profile
Metal gear solid 4, Hideo's final masterpiece
« on: July 25, 2007, 07:50:00 pm »
i didn't see a thread for it so BAM! The final installation to the Metal gear series, new info has been comming up and i'm siked, your thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 09:20:42 pm by a14gt »

Bow down fool. HAHAHA!

gec05

Re: Metal gear solid 4, Hideo's finally master piece
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 07:55:34 pm »
Hideo's finally master piece?

Sorry for being such a grammar nazi, but "Hideo's final masterpiece" works best.

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
Re: Metal gear solid 4, Hideo's finally master piece
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 09:19:18 pm »
oh sry, i had my Wii's auto spellchecker. i'll fix it.
Bow down fool. HAHAHA!

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
Re: Metal gear solid 4, Hideo's final master piece
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 09:24:56 pm »
I'm not a Metal Gear fan, and I've never played the series, but damn that 15 minute gameplay demo that was shown a few days ago was absolutely stunning.

I used to really like the Splinter Cell series, but the games have become pretty cut-and-dry. I'm not sure how different MGS4 is from its predecessors, but it looks like a great change from the Splinter Cell series of stealth games. Hopefully having prior knowledge of predecessors in the series won't be vital to understanding the story.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 05:35:20 am »
I'm not a Metal Gear fan, and I've never played the series, but damn that 15 minute gameplay demo that was shown a few days ago was absolutely stunning.

I used to really like the Splinter Cell series, but the games have become pretty cut-and-dry. I'm not sure how different MGS4 is from its predecessors, but it looks like a great change from the Splinter Cell series of stealth games. Hopefully having prior knowledge of predecessors in the series won't be vital to understanding the story.

You definitely will need to have played the previous games to understand the story.  I'm sure they'll have something to sum things up for those who haven't played them, but I'd definitely recommend playing them all yourself, the story became very convoluted with the second game.  I'd be looking forward to the game a lot more, if it weren't for the fact it's carrying on from that one.  The third game managed to return to the greatness of the first, because it was a prequel and was able to avoid all of the silliness that the second one introduced.

You should be able to get all three of them pretty cheap by now though, but I'd warn you, these games are movies.  If you're getting them expecting a great game, then you'll be disappointed, but if you're looking for a great story, then there's very few better games.  The fourth game does just seem to be more of the same.  If it's gameplay you're wanting, then I'd stick with the Splinter Cell series, especially now the fifth one seems to be reinventing a lot of it.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 11:01:15 am »
but I'd warn you, these games are movies

Yeah, I was sort of worried about that. If I had played the first three, I might not mind so much, but since it's so story-focused, I'll probably miss a lot of key points and subtle jokes in the game.

I'll wait and see what the reviews say. Of course the game will be great, but I want to make sure that the story is somewhat self-contained so that, despite not playing the first three, I can still enjoy the plot in the fourth.

Or, worst case, I hunt down the first three and play them. :D

Splinter Cell Conviction is looking good too. My trust in the Splinter Cell series has been somewhat shaken, but the new one seems to change things up.

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
Re: Metal gear solid 4, Hideo's final masterpiece
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 11:38:28 am »
yea these games are movies and if you skip them all you can beat in about 4-6 hours but, its fun after you beat it. first play through it's ok but second play through is even funner with extras and same for the third play. this short games come with many extras to keep you interested.
For Mgs4 it will probably be some cool camouflage like for mgs3. Definitely something for infinite ammo. Even though the game is ment for stealth it's always fun just too shoot everyone to heck or better assassination. who saw the pic of snake in full bronze as a statue, the was great
Bow down fool. HAHAHA!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 10:00:29 am »
There now appears to be a release date for Metal Gear Solid 4, it's on a Thursday!

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 10:16:57 am »
WHAT???? Metal gears game play is just as cool as the story!... Well i suppose its subjective but imo it kills in terms of game play splinter cell. Not to mention it has some of the best boss fights in my opinion of all video games.

I also thought MGS2 had an amazing story ..but i am one of few who understood it all.

I may have to rent a PS3 for this...but..no rumble :(

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 11:22:18 am »
Well actually Rumble is coming April 15th, and I think I remember hearing the MGS4 supports it.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 02:39:05 pm »
Of course if there is one thing you can count on it is that Hideo will take advantage of everything on a console.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Thor carrier of the mightiest hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 10:54:04 pm »
I actually might just buy the MGS ps3 bundle this summer. A cheap blue ray player and MGS all at a great price. Also just to have all next gen consoles.
STOP HAMMERTIME 
PSN Names YaY I got a thread stickied.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 03:00:27 am »
Yep ill be getting that bundle too.

Just bought the MGS essential collection to get ready.

I am more attached to the metal gear saga and the characters in it more then any other game book or movie.

And some of these MGS4 trailers are movie quality in direction VA and everything else.

I got my girlfriend hooked on the story as well. Not to mention that i love the gameplay to boot.

Online Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 05:59:28 am »
I recently played a bit of Snake Eater on the PS3. Yeah, its good and all, but I'm afraid I am going to have to be controversial and criticise an intergal part of the gameplay...
The Camera! You simply can't play a stealth game with a semi-fixed camera. I only played the game for about half an hour, but my attempts at being stealthy were constantly thwarted by guards who weren't visible on the screen (this is just made worse by the lack of a radar). WHich led me to have to take them out in thr awkward static FPS style.

Call it blasphemy from someone who is new to the series, but the metal gear games would be about a million times better with the addition of 'over the shoulder' Resi 4 style camera work.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 06:32:27 am »
With MGS4, they now have OTS, FPS and TPS modes.

I can't wait for this to come out! ;D