Author Topic: Metal gear solid 4, Hideo's final masterpiece  (Read 15717 times)

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
Re: Metal gear solid 4, Hideo's final masterpiece
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2008, 05:35:18 pm »
Has anyone taken a look at the MGS4 Database released today I think?  It seems to be completely comprehensive to the series canon with 3 modes that give you the info in a different way.  The first is a regular encyclopedia, the second gives you a timeline of all important events and some historical ones related to the game and the third gives you the relationships between the characters and events in a type of web map.  One odd thing I did notice however in the timeline was the sudden unrelated mention of 1975 for being the year in which Richard Dawkin's book The Selfish Gene was released.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2008, 07:42:52 am »
i have never played any of the series but from what i've heard i should regret that :P
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Online Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2008, 06:22:13 pm »
Great series I think. A little lacking in gameplay I guess, but I'm always very interested in the story.
Don't know why. Most games, I just don't care. I mean I can't.

MGS4 though?
Rocks my ass.
After I beat it I'll be able to see if it tops MGS3.

Yeah, I bought a PS3.

EDIT: Oh my god, the revelations this game brings.
Can't say I fully grasp it all, but it sure ties everything up well.
Wow.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 11:53:22 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 06:57:04 am »
Great series I think. A little lacking in gameplay I guess, but I'm always very interested in the story.
Don't know why. Most games, I just don't care. I mean I can't.

EDIT: Oh my god, the revelations this game brings.
Can't say I fully grasp it all, but it sure ties everything up well.
Wow.

This is my jealous face  >:( :'(.

Seriously cant wait until i get a PS3...

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2008, 04:52:54 pm »
There's a select few games for PS3 IMO that you need to get a PS3 for such as R&C FTD, Resistance, GT4(not GTA 4 :P), Dirt, Burnout and of course MGS4.

But honestly with the PS3 not doing it's fair share of having good games I suggest you go for a an XBOX 360 (not excluding the wii of course *glare*. By price and good amount of playable games and it's online features, but that's just me. And lets not make a debate about what's the better system or not I was just making a point.

Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2008, 04:56:23 pm »
I'm not sure who you were talking to Yttrxium. But i already have a 360 and i have 0 interest in a wii. I'm as far from a causal gamer as you can get.

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2008, 05:11:49 pm »
Who says it was advice for a casual gamer?

And with the comparisons, Wii like PS3 have a few select games IMO that are very good and highly recepted by the mainstream. Wasn't saying go out and buy a wii or anything :D.

Well the advice was for you, until you revealed you have a 360 (which IIRC you said some where before but must have slipped my mind). So I guess PS3 is the way to go, good luck with getting the cash ;D

Also the wii isn't actually that bad, I own one and it's quite a lot of fun.
No not that wii fit crap or party games bull****, I go for hard core games such as MP3 and LoZ TP and Brawl, plus Strikers Charged.

Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2008, 05:20:26 pm »
I'm hard on cash so it will be awhile until i get a PS3 but i am going to try pick up a wii toward Christmas mostly to play Mario party, Brawl, Boom blox, and stuff like that with my girlfriend.

The wii is great for same system play ill give it that.

Oh and monster hunter 3 is a wii exclusive!!. I forgot all about that...

Online Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2008, 10:08:43 pm »
Wow.

I just beat it.
The ending... oh hell.
Did not expect it. It was like a punch to the face.

I guess it really is the conclusion.
Besides, it'd take another two decades of sequels and an even grander finale to top that.
And I just don't see that happening.

Good show.
 :'( *claps*
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2008, 06:57:26 pm »
Good game... great game by today's standards.  But it follows the good ole tradition of "play thru it 11 times to unlock the super secret ultimate tuxedo GOOOOOO!!!!" that I get bored with real quick.  Great story (minus the ending), anticlimactic final battle (because you have to play it a hundred times if you're just a bit off on your timing), but overall great gameplay.

Best PS3 game hands down... third best MGS game.  (MGS , Snake Eater, Guns, and *ahem* Raiden in my book).
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2008, 12:06:21 am »
Is any one here playing the Multi-player? I'm curious your guys thought on it, I tried it once, hated it and never played it again.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline LuceroJuarez

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2008, 10:01:34 pm »
I watched the extended trailer, and did not find it even remotely enticing. Seriously, robots that moo?  ::) Does Hideo actively attempt to think up the most ludicrous crap in the world to see if people will buy it?

The only good MGS was the original PS game. And that can probably be attributed to the fact that it was the most 'realistic' of the three or, in other words, the least bat**** insane.

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2008, 11:48:37 pm »
Wow, way to bad mouth another game you haven't played yet Juarez. Seriously you have to stop doing that. Just play the game for once.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 05:42:17 am by LadyM »
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2008, 04:05:38 am »
I liked the moo-ing robots, reminded me of half life.

And he has a point, the storyline of the MGS series is bloody retarded, I mean, come on, it's just badgering for the Lara Croft esque fanboy, with the fully female elite team of soldiers guarding the female PTSD sufferers in Supersuits who when defeated reveal  that they are actualy 20 and wear spandex, where then later you meet EVA again who still can't remember how to do her jacket up properly. And let's not get into the stupid plot devices to keep the game story going. Reminds me of that time in MGS3 where that guy calls the guards, and then says "Leave him! He's mine!", I mean, what is the point in calling guards THEN saying "Okay, don't capture him or anything, I'm just going to do what I could have easily done alone", then he spins his pistols around for something like 5 minutes before you have the damned battle, which really made me wonder why Naked Snake didn't just pull an Indy and shoot him while the bastard was showing off?

Yahtzee Juarez is right, the story is dumb and it keeps being shoved down the player's throut.
the real saviour of this forum

Online Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2008, 04:31:34 am »
And yet I enjoy it because it's fun.
It's over the top, it's silly, it's hard to take completely seriously, but it tells a good tale.

But seriously though, perfect scores my ass. Not a chance in hell.  :P
I love the series to pieces but it's nothing so perfect that it invokes very strong emotions. I respect it, but I don't really feel it. Not much.
I truly feel so few games that I'm rather disappointed.

Still, nothing beats some good, dumb old fun now and then.
       ~Ricky Wangstrom