Author Topic: Metal gear solid 4, Hideo's final masterpiece  (Read 15736 times)

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
  • Raised from the dead!!!
    • View Profile
Metal gear solid 4, Hideo's final masterpiece
« on: July 25, 2007, 07:50:00 pm »
i didn't see a thread for it so BAM! The final installation to the Metal gear series, new info has been comming up and i'm siked, your thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 09:20:42 pm by a14gt »

Bow down fool. HAHAHA!

gec05

Re: Metal gear solid 4, Hideo's finally master piece
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 07:55:34 pm »
Hideo's finally master piece?

Sorry for being such a grammar nazi, but "Hideo's final masterpiece" works best.

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
Re: Metal gear solid 4, Hideo's finally master piece
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 09:19:18 pm »
oh sry, i had my Wii's auto spellchecker. i'll fix it.
Bow down fool. HAHAHA!

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
Re: Metal gear solid 4, Hideo's final master piece
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 09:24:56 pm »
I'm not a Metal Gear fan, and I've never played the series, but damn that 15 minute gameplay demo that was shown a few days ago was absolutely stunning.

I used to really like the Splinter Cell series, but the games have become pretty cut-and-dry. I'm not sure how different MGS4 is from its predecessors, but it looks like a great change from the Splinter Cell series of stealth games. Hopefully having prior knowledge of predecessors in the series won't be vital to understanding the story.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 05:35:20 am »
I'm not a Metal Gear fan, and I've never played the series, but damn that 15 minute gameplay demo that was shown a few days ago was absolutely stunning.

I used to really like the Splinter Cell series, but the games have become pretty cut-and-dry. I'm not sure how different MGS4 is from its predecessors, but it looks like a great change from the Splinter Cell series of stealth games. Hopefully having prior knowledge of predecessors in the series won't be vital to understanding the story.

You definitely will need to have played the previous games to understand the story.  I'm sure they'll have something to sum things up for those who haven't played them, but I'd definitely recommend playing them all yourself, the story became very convoluted with the second game.  I'd be looking forward to the game a lot more, if it weren't for the fact it's carrying on from that one.  The third game managed to return to the greatness of the first, because it was a prequel and was able to avoid all of the silliness that the second one introduced.

You should be able to get all three of them pretty cheap by now though, but I'd warn you, these games are movies.  If you're getting them expecting a great game, then you'll be disappointed, but if you're looking for a great story, then there's very few better games.  The fourth game does just seem to be more of the same.  If it's gameplay you're wanting, then I'd stick with the Splinter Cell series, especially now the fifth one seems to be reinventing a lot of it.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 11:01:15 am »
but I'd warn you, these games are movies

Yeah, I was sort of worried about that. If I had played the first three, I might not mind so much, but since it's so story-focused, I'll probably miss a lot of key points and subtle jokes in the game.

I'll wait and see what the reviews say. Of course the game will be great, but I want to make sure that the story is somewhat self-contained so that, despite not playing the first three, I can still enjoy the plot in the fourth.

Or, worst case, I hunt down the first three and play them. :D

Splinter Cell Conviction is looking good too. My trust in the Splinter Cell series has been somewhat shaken, but the new one seems to change things up.

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
Re: Metal gear solid 4, Hideo's final masterpiece
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 11:38:28 am »
yea these games are movies and if you skip them all you can beat in about 4-6 hours but, its fun after you beat it. first play through it's ok but second play through is even funner with extras and same for the third play. this short games come with many extras to keep you interested.
For Mgs4 it will probably be some cool camouflage like for mgs3. Definitely something for infinite ammo. Even though the game is ment for stealth it's always fun just too shoot everyone to heck or better assassination. who saw the pic of snake in full bronze as a statue, the was great
Bow down fool. HAHAHA!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 10:00:29 am »
There now appears to be a release date for Metal Gear Solid 4, it's on a Thursday!

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 10:16:57 am »
WHAT???? Metal gears game play is just as cool as the story!... Well i suppose its subjective but imo it kills in terms of game play splinter cell. Not to mention it has some of the best boss fights in my opinion of all video games.

I also thought MGS2 had an amazing story ..but i am one of few who understood it all.

I may have to rent a PS3 for this...but..no rumble :(

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 11:22:18 am »
Well actually Rumble is coming April 15th, and I think I remember hearing the MGS4 supports it.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 02:39:05 pm »
Of course if there is one thing you can count on it is that Hideo will take advantage of everything on a console.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Thor carrier of the mightiest hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 10:54:04 pm »
I actually might just buy the MGS ps3 bundle this summer. A cheap blue ray player and MGS all at a great price. Also just to have all next gen consoles.
STOP HAMMERTIME 
PSN Names YaY I got a thread stickied.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 03:00:27 am »
Yep ill be getting that bundle too.

Just bought the MGS essential collection to get ready.

I am more attached to the metal gear saga and the characters in it more then any other game book or movie.

And some of these MGS4 trailers are movie quality in direction VA and everything else.

I got my girlfriend hooked on the story as well. Not to mention that i love the gameplay to boot.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 05:59:28 am »
I recently played a bit of Snake Eater on the PS3. Yeah, its good and all, but I'm afraid I am going to have to be controversial and criticise an intergal part of the gameplay...
The Camera! You simply can't play a stealth game with a semi-fixed camera. I only played the game for about half an hour, but my attempts at being stealthy were constantly thwarted by guards who weren't visible on the screen (this is just made worse by the lack of a radar). WHich led me to have to take them out in thr awkward static FPS style.

Call it blasphemy from someone who is new to the series, but the metal gear games would be about a million times better with the addition of 'over the shoulder' Resi 4 style camera work.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 06:32:27 am »
With MGS4, they now have OTS, FPS and TPS modes.

I can't wait for this to come out! ;D

Online Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 11:36:32 am »
terrible camera

Oh, I know.
But they came out with a rerelease of sorts. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence. You can move the camera in any direction you like.
It was pretty good.
The game also comes with the original MSX versions of Metal Gear 1 and 2.
And a bunch of funny vids.

Not sure if you'll buy Subsistence, but here you go.
(video contains spoilers)
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=4sJLDUBHnbQ&feature=related

Yeah, I don't know about Metal Gear Solid 4... I just don't know.
Sure, I'll buy a copy. But I don't have a PS3.
I'm probably going to have to borrow a friend's, hang out at their house to play it if they won't let me borrow it, or... rent one?
I don't really want to do that though.
Sure as hell ain't buyin' one 'til they get some more games on there for a guy like me. It's totally useless to me at the moment.

If I hadn't bought this 360, I'd probably have gotten a PS3 later.
Eh.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 11:44:22 am »
I recently played a bit of Snake Eater on the PS3. Yeah, its good and all, but I'm afraid I am going to have to be controversial and criticise an intergal part of the gameplay...
The Camera! You simply can't play a stealth game with a semi-fixed camera. I only played the game for about half an hour, but my attempts at being stealthy were constantly thwarted by guards who weren't visible on the screen (this is just made worse by the lack of a radar). WHich led me to have to take them out in thr awkward static FPS style.

Call it blasphemy from someone who is new to the series, but the metal gear games would be about a million times better with the addition of 'over the shoulder' Resi 4 style camera work.

Yep the camera in snake eater is horrible. They made a special edition version of snaked eater called subsistence that gives you a controllable camera and makes it much better. Snake eaters the only one where you do not have a radar because its a prequel set in the 1960s before the radar system you use was made. The camera in the other two metal gear games is fine however. Its more of a top down view plus you have the soliton radar in both of them.  Anyways the controls have a learning curve but after you play awhile they come second nature and do pretty well.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 03:04:35 am »
If I end up moving in with my cousin, he is getting the whole bundle when it is released so I will play it then.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 12:58:02 pm »
My bundle plans got foiled.

I planned on getting the PS3 MGS bundle with my rebate..ha curse you life and your unexpected expenses!. Turns out I'm going to need that cash for something more important... :'(.

Man i have seen so many company's give away bundles and such in contests where they have you dress up and try to look like a character from the game.  I never actually done any but i wish they would for this because i look almost identical to young ocelot. Its creepy  :-\

Offline Hizzah

• Bezerk Brawler
  • http://www.pbfcomics.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 04:15:08 pm »
Gorman mentioned it...they just released the Metal Gear Solid: Essential Collection for the PS2. It has the first three MGS's bundled up with some other extras. At $30 you can't afford not to buy it!

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=69111
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 04:23:38 pm by Hizzah »

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 05:33:15 pm »
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
The complete game of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, which has sold 3.6 million units worldwide, is in Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence. The game has also added the option of a "Third Person View Camera" for every stage of the game. This wider field of vision and complete freedom of movement brings an incredible sense of realism to the game. Gamers will have an easier time spotting enemies on-screen and preparing for their next stealth maneuver
Ah, I was wondering about that.  I'll be picking it up soon then.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 12:40:32 am »
*Sigh*

It appears i wont be able to get a PS3 and metal gear for a month or two.

But it looks like its getting good reviews so far.

Its going to be HELL trying to avoid any damn spoilers until i can get it though.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 01:41:22 am »
Yeah I'm going to try to pick up the bundle tomorrow/today, I actually don't really care for MGS but I mostly want the 80gig with BC and rumble controller.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 03:01:10 am »
I considered getting a PS3 for this game, but I decided against it, mainly because I couldn't get one of those gun metal grey units.  I'll probably just wait for FFXIII to be released now anyway, at least then there's more games I actually want.  I managed to avoid spoilers for MGS3 for the longest time, I'm sure I can manage it for this one.   :)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 03:51:52 pm »
GameTrailers has released a review! Check it out if you're interested!

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 04:04:19 pm »
i like how the voice actor of snake did a little thing for kotaku and gamtrailers

pretty funny

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 08:56:37 am »
So here are my thoughts so far spoiler free. Like I've said before I'm not a super MGS fan but I'm not a hater either. The first and only MGS game was MGS2, I liked it for the graphics, and everyone gushed over the first one, so I was enjoying it until near the end when the story went all over the place.

So with MGS4 the first half hour is pretty much all cut scenes. There are moments where you take controll but you litterally walk 5 feet or do a simple action like crawl under a truck and then a new cut scene takes over. There are however some cool cutscenes near the beginning that appear to have nothing to do with the game, but I like them a lot and I hope I'll see more of those because they were totally unexpected.

So after the first half hour you can actually sneak around and play the game. This part of the game is kinda weak-sause so far. First the shooting controls aren't that great. "But santa this is a sneaking game?" You're right, but there are times when I mess up and the best course of action is just to shoot people, and compaired to the controls of any modern shooter, MGS controls suck. example, You have to hold the L1 button to draw your gun, then have to hit R2 to actually fire it, but if you want to make sure you're going hit people you need to hit the triangle button to go into first person perspective.

Another problem is that the enemies are just stupid. I walked around a corner and there were 2 dudes standing there and they start shooting me. I turn and run around two corners then pull out my weapon and wait for them to come around so I can shoot them all nice and propper, but they never came around the corner. I waited for a bit, then i noticed another way around and i went on my way. I think their idea of chasing me was to slowly walk after me.  :-\ Another time I see some guys from Army A shooting and dudes from Army B. I decide I would help Army B and shoot at A. I kill 2 out of the 3 but the third A guy just ignored me. He was looking right at me but didn't do any thing, i guess he was busy with other things. I'm hoping boss battles will save the combat for me but we'll see.

Then there's the online componet. First it had to load it, then there was a lengthy patch I had to download, then I had to create two different IDs (I'm sure some of you read all about it by now, luckily they open a browser in game to take care of that), then I had check my email to confirm my profiles, (you can't do this part in game, you either need to jump all the way to the PS3 startup screen or threw a computer, then I could play the game.

You get to make and avatar with a limited selection of parts. That's perfectly fine but say you decide you want to change the color of your pants or maybe your just tiered of that hat he's wearing. In order to do that you have to pay to make a new avatar. also you only get one free avatar per disk, so you have a siblings you need to share a profile.

There appears to be about 5 or 6 different modes but I just jumped into a simple team death match to get a feel for it, which in retrospect was probally a poor choice sense I hate the shooting controls away. If you couldn't guess by now I'm not a fan of the multiplayer. I might try out some of the other modes, but I'll just stick with the Bad company demo for now.

If I had to give it a score right now, I would probably would be floating in the 65-70 range-
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Orly

• Mystery House Madman
  • Read This Post, its probably annoying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2008, 05:21:54 pm »
to me, this game seems like one of the only reasons to buy a PS3

Offline Kaze

• Adventure Ace
  • Vicious Polar Bear
    • View Profile
    • E
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2008, 03:35:52 pm »
AI is definitely retarded. The cutscenes are stupidly long, and a lot of them are totally non-pertinent to someone who hasn't played the previous games (like me). They should have taken a cue from Mass Effect and let you interact during the dialogue by choosing to ask questions, or force the other characters to cut to the chase, etc. This way, players who want to get all in depth could ask all the questions and such, and people who don't want to play Metal Gear Cutscene could still get the 411.

Those gripes aside, the game is pretty fun when you actually get to play it. The retarded AI is mostly forgivable, and the freedom to sneak through the missions, or run and gun is fantastic.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2008, 05:43:45 am »
I'm starting to warm up to the game a little more, It's amazing knowing the controls will do when forming an opion on a game. :P
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2008, 05:35:18 pm »
Has anyone taken a look at the MGS4 Database released today I think?  It seems to be completely comprehensive to the series canon with 3 modes that give you the info in a different way.  The first is a regular encyclopedia, the second gives you a timeline of all important events and some historical ones related to the game and the third gives you the relationships between the characters and events in a type of web map.  One odd thing I did notice however in the timeline was the sudden unrelated mention of 1975 for being the year in which Richard Dawkin's book The Selfish Gene was released.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2008, 07:42:52 am »
i have never played any of the series but from what i've heard i should regret that :P
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Online Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2008, 06:22:13 pm »
Great series I think. A little lacking in gameplay I guess, but I'm always very interested in the story.
Don't know why. Most games, I just don't care. I mean I can't.

MGS4 though?
Rocks my ass.
After I beat it I'll be able to see if it tops MGS3.

Yeah, I bought a PS3.

EDIT: Oh my god, the revelations this game brings.
Can't say I fully grasp it all, but it sure ties everything up well.
Wow.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 11:53:22 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 06:57:04 am »
Great series I think. A little lacking in gameplay I guess, but I'm always very interested in the story.
Don't know why. Most games, I just don't care. I mean I can't.

EDIT: Oh my god, the revelations this game brings.
Can't say I fully grasp it all, but it sure ties everything up well.
Wow.

This is my jealous face  >:( :'(.

Seriously cant wait until i get a PS3...

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2008, 04:52:54 pm »
There's a select few games for PS3 IMO that you need to get a PS3 for such as R&C FTD, Resistance, GT4(not GTA 4 :P), Dirt, Burnout and of course MGS4.

But honestly with the PS3 not doing it's fair share of having good games I suggest you go for a an XBOX 360 (not excluding the wii of course *glare*. By price and good amount of playable games and it's online features, but that's just me. And lets not make a debate about what's the better system or not I was just making a point.

Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2008, 04:56:23 pm »
I'm not sure who you were talking to Yttrxium. But i already have a 360 and i have 0 interest in a wii. I'm as far from a causal gamer as you can get.

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2008, 05:11:49 pm »
Who says it was advice for a casual gamer?

And with the comparisons, Wii like PS3 have a few select games IMO that are very good and highly recepted by the mainstream. Wasn't saying go out and buy a wii or anything :D.

Well the advice was for you, until you revealed you have a 360 (which IIRC you said some where before but must have slipped my mind). So I guess PS3 is the way to go, good luck with getting the cash ;D

Also the wii isn't actually that bad, I own one and it's quite a lot of fun.
No not that wii fit crap or party games bull****, I go for hard core games such as MP3 and LoZ TP and Brawl, plus Strikers Charged.

Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2008, 05:20:26 pm »
I'm hard on cash so it will be awhile until i get a PS3 but i am going to try pick up a wii toward Christmas mostly to play Mario party, Brawl, Boom blox, and stuff like that with my girlfriend.

The wii is great for same system play ill give it that.

Oh and monster hunter 3 is a wii exclusive!!. I forgot all about that...

Online Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2008, 10:08:43 pm »
Wow.

I just beat it.
The ending... oh hell.
Did not expect it. It was like a punch to the face.

I guess it really is the conclusion.
Besides, it'd take another two decades of sequels and an even grander finale to top that.
And I just don't see that happening.

Good show.
 :'( *claps*
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2008, 06:57:26 pm »
Good game... great game by today's standards.  But it follows the good ole tradition of "play thru it 11 times to unlock the super secret ultimate tuxedo GOOOOOO!!!!" that I get bored with real quick.  Great story (minus the ending), anticlimactic final battle (because you have to play it a hundred times if you're just a bit off on your timing), but overall great gameplay.

Best PS3 game hands down... third best MGS game.  (MGS , Snake Eater, Guns, and *ahem* Raiden in my book).
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2008, 12:06:21 am »
Is any one here playing the Multi-player? I'm curious your guys thought on it, I tried it once, hated it and never played it again.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline LuceroJuarez

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2008, 10:01:34 pm »
I watched the extended trailer, and did not find it even remotely enticing. Seriously, robots that moo?  ::) Does Hideo actively attempt to think up the most ludicrous crap in the world to see if people will buy it?

The only good MGS was the original PS game. And that can probably be attributed to the fact that it was the most 'realistic' of the three or, in other words, the least bat**** insane.

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2008, 11:48:37 pm »
Wow, way to bad mouth another game you haven't played yet Juarez. Seriously you have to stop doing that. Just play the game for once.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 05:42:17 am by LadyM »
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2008, 04:05:38 am »
I liked the moo-ing robots, reminded me of half life.

And he has a point, the storyline of the MGS series is bloody retarded, I mean, come on, it's just badgering for the Lara Croft esque fanboy, with the fully female elite team of soldiers guarding the female PTSD sufferers in Supersuits who when defeated reveal  that they are actualy 20 and wear spandex, where then later you meet EVA again who still can't remember how to do her jacket up properly. And let's not get into the stupid plot devices to keep the game story going. Reminds me of that time in MGS3 where that guy calls the guards, and then says "Leave him! He's mine!", I mean, what is the point in calling guards THEN saying "Okay, don't capture him or anything, I'm just going to do what I could have easily done alone", then he spins his pistols around for something like 5 minutes before you have the damned battle, which really made me wonder why Naked Snake didn't just pull an Indy and shoot him while the bastard was showing off?

Yahtzee Juarez is right, the story is dumb and it keeps being shoved down the player's throut.
the real saviour of this forum

Online Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2008, 04:31:34 am »
And yet I enjoy it because it's fun.
It's over the top, it's silly, it's hard to take completely seriously, but it tells a good tale.

But seriously though, perfect scores my ass. Not a chance in hell.  :P
I love the series to pieces but it's nothing so perfect that it invokes very strong emotions. I respect it, but I don't really feel it. Not much.
I truly feel so few games that I'm rather disappointed.

Still, nothing beats some good, dumb old fun now and then.
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2008, 06:00:58 am »
I see your point. Striders and Gunships in Half Life 2 were awesome because THE VEHICLES SREAMED AT ME WHEN I SHOT THEM :o
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2008, 07:03:52 pm »
I'm surprised this thread's made it this long without some emo fanboy jumping on us all claiming Old Snake as his new god and commenting on Meryl's infinite hawtness.... not to mention the fact that he cried when after each major boss.

*looks around for fanboys*
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2009, 11:28:23 am »
MEGA-BUUUMP

Sorry bout that.

Anyway, I just got my PS3 and MGS4 (LBP too, "Maeus" on PSN), and I'm just curious how much game time I have left. I'm just starting out in South America, after I've met Drebin for the second time.

Thanks,

The Time-Rummaging Mae

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2009, 12:54:39 pm »
Speaking of MGS4, I read on Gamespot that it won editors choice for Game of the Year...

I'm glad, I would have punched somebody in the mouth if Fallout 3 had won.
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2009, 02:27:08 pm »
You don't like Fallout 3 I assume.

Don't get me wrong i have heard MGS is simply astounding, but i haven't had any chance to play it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 02:33:49 pm by Skyward »
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2009, 02:31:15 pm »
Speaking of MGS4, I read on Gamespot that it won editors choice for Game of the Year...

The fistfight with Ocelot deserves to win the Most Nostalgic Fight EVAR award. I'm not even a big MGS fan and I was mighty nostalgic just watching my friend play that fight.

SNAAAAAKE EEEAAAATAAAAA!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2009, 08:29:21 am »
Dun-dun-dun dun, dun dun

God, I love these games, no matter how... artistic they are.