Author Topic: UFO questions  (Read 9733 times)

Offline Jameso

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
UFO questions
« on: May 19, 2006, 05:09:24 am »
I was just wondering, will UFO's be able to go underwater to check out aquatic species?

P.S sorry if this has been posted, I just signed up, first post. 

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: UFO questions
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 05:12:42 am »
Hmm.. Never really thought of that.

Offline DM_Craft

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Im a donut hear me ROAR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 05:22:14 am »
Hah you stole my idea, i was going to post about this... :D

>:(

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
  • Don't play with your food
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 05:33:56 am »
well, if they are going to have underwater cities, then i assume maybe your ufo could go under the water?  The ufo would be launched from underwater i think
Under construction

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 06:36:48 am »
I just hope they haven't decided to "phase out" the whole underwater part.

There was no evidence of any underwater life in any of the E3 videos/screenshots.

Offline Joolies

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 07:36:14 am »
i'd say it will be possible.

Offline Fumanchu

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 07:43:20 am »
I keep worrying about the underwater part, too, but the Spore trailer clearly shows the underwater guy swimming around. It doesn't mention anything about underwater civs, but at least it's got some parts devoted to it.

The crazy thing about an underwater civ is that, if it's already in the game, then the physics to handle flying would be in there, too. So, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to have flying animals in the game--they'd still need to be anchored to the ground for their buildings, just like land / underwater. Even if they just fly in the sense that they're off the ground when they move, though it may be by only a few "feet", this would be a cool little feature.

Whatever, if you're a land-based creature, it would be cool to navigate your UFO down into the water and watch the environment kind of swallow you up (ocean-wise) as you went in search of things.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 07:44:27 am »
it would make no sense at all for them to disclude flying creatures and underwater creatures.  Consider how much easier the animations would be (for movement and attacking anyway) when underwater.  And flying movement requires only a non-animated soar (eagle), wing movement (crow) or bobbing wing movement (butterfly or bat).

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 10:10:30 am »
This isn't going to be another one of those 'Are water civilizations in?!'-threads, is it? ::) ;)

On topic: I would assume UFOs can go underwater. They can withstand the forces of travelling through the atmosphere, and near a black hole, so I don't see why it wouldn't be able to withstand waterpressure.

Side note: Why is it called a 'UFO' anyway? It's not an Unidentified Flying Object, you've build it yourself, so it's not unidentified at all...

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 10:16:38 am »
its not a ufo to you, but to everyone else it is.
Never mind your own business.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 10:17:25 am »
Side note: Why is it called a 'UFO' anyway? It's not an Unidentified Flying Object, you've build it yourself, so it's not unidentified at all...
I guess it's a nod to the UFO in the SimCity games. Repeatedly destroying my cities by triggering alien invasions was really the only fun I ever got out of that series.

Offline Crossover

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 01:06:14 pm »
Alright, I got a UFO related question. Does the computer get it's own UFO too? Or is it just a players tool?

The Reason I ask is because Will said he didn't want to make it multiplayer so that some other player doesn't come along and ruin your game. But if the creatures pick up the habits a player sets for them, then what if a UFO of that player's creature has a habit or whatever you want to call it, to blow up planets? I mean, you might be out exploring the Galaxy and then your getting messages of a new species that just entered your solar system blowing up your home world and colonies.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 01:28:41 pm »
On topic: I would assume UFOs can go underwater. They can withstand the forces of travelling through the atmosphere, and near a black hole, so I don't see why it wouldn't be able to withstand waterpressure.

I don't think that ultra-realism is Will's main concern with Spore. The question is whether they will have the feature in the game, not whether it's realistic enough to put in the game.

:)

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline lololo

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 01:29:12 pm »
Its already been confirmed that there will be underwater civs and creatures, and flying creatures. Also, submarines are supposed to be in the game, so I'm sure you can just attach a part to your UFO to make it water-accessible. Maybe an upgrade like the one that opens up black holes as a transportation system.

Alright, I got a UFO related question. Does the computer get it's own UFO too? Or is it just a players tool?

The Reason I ask is because Will said he didn't want to make it multiplayer so that some other player doesn't come along and ruin your game. But if the creatures pick up the habits a player sets for them, then what if a UFO of that player's creature has a habit or whatever you want to call it, to blow up planets? I mean, you might be out exploring the Galaxy and then your getting messages of a new species that just entered your solar system blowing up your home world and colonies.

Will has already said that the only NPC controlled UFOs will be fly-bys during the tribal stage. They will most likely just be an easter egg until you get your own UFO. I think I read something that said the only way to have the NPCs use UFOs was to provoke them enough.

Offline Havoc

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 01:31:05 pm »
Yeah, they'd have to put it in. When you consider that a large part of the game consists of transporting exotic creatures across the galaxy in your UFO, if it couldn't go underwater then you'd be restricted to land creatures only.
For information on my species, the Eodu, click here.
Machine. One. Click. here.