Author Topic: Sending Messages To Aliens  (Read 9239 times)

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
Re: Sending messages
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2006, 09:46:14 pm »
Canned pre-made messages maybe.

tone:  respectful, awe, fear, aggressive, compassionate, threatening
message:  declare war, request trading, request alliance, announce your presence, request embassy, request to take an ambassador, offer gift, request gift

You could have a check list, chose one tone, then choose up to three messages which the game would then compile and interpret.  So if you chose declare war, request alliance, request gift then it would be interpretted as "give us a gift and ally with us or prepare for war".  Something of that effect.

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
Re: Sending Messages To Aliens
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2006, 09:57:03 pm »
I don't know if it'll work like this, but I'd love to see it like this, at least at the UFO stage.

1. Arrive at the planet, and play the CEOTTK game to establish a base language
2. Once this is over, you can communicate, but only in very simple terms, and when you send the messag,e you get to see the lights and hear the music while it's being sent and recieved
3. You can send messages to them that are more or less messages in a can (We come in peace, Take me to your leader, My other UFO is an X-Wing, etc.)

As such, the terms for communication would be poor at first, but you'd adapt and learn their language. I wish you could send personalized messages but I doubt it'd happen considering how complex it'd have to be.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline TotalSandwich

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Tersonal Pext?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2006, 10:06:11 pm »
I really like slugfly's idea. I think that this goes well with the procedural nature of the game and could easily be implemeted. It also goes well with the once upon a time mentionesd either emotional or imperial race types. The diplomatic model of slugfly's could easily be implemented with this to provide limitless options for dimplomacy- just like many other options in the game.
The moon is a sickle cell; it will kill you in time.

Offline Amayirot Akago

• Phoenix Fighter
  • RAARGH!! Gorulk SMASH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2006, 10:37:50 pm »
"We come in peace; we come in peace!"

*starts shooting at planet, aliens run*

"Don't run, we are your friends!"

>:D Mars Attacks FTW.

Anime lover, gamer, and dreamer

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2006, 10:40:34 pm »
I DO like the idea he presented. That is, if he actually meant what I interpreted from it. I'd love to see it have it with the ability to take messages and mix and match. I.E. You can say "Give us X and we will be your allies" by putting together "Give us X" and "We will be your allies" rather than sending individual messages.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline lololo

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2006, 11:03:30 pm »
"We come in peace; we come in peace!"

*starts shooting at planet, aliens run*

"Don't run, we are your friends!"

>:D Mars Attacks FTW.

<3 you for that. I'd love to be able to play that out in the game.

And the mix and match idea is great, definitely add that to the wishlist.

Offline Full_Metal

• Adventure Ace
    • View Profile
    • Vector Hates You All!
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2006, 11:37:25 pm »
The mix-n-match idea is how diplomacy works in the civ games. It lets you come up with any pretty much deal you can think of. As long as the civs in spore aren't as unreasonably competitive as those in say, civ 3, it'll work great.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2006, 06:09:03 am »
The mix-n-match idea is how diplomacy works in the civ games. It lets you come up with any pretty much deal you can think of. As long as the civs in spore aren't as unreasonably competitive as those in say, civ 3, it'll work great.

I am sure some species will be incredibly competitive, others aggressive, others passive and so on.  Given that racial attributes are basically set by their creators, I think we can assume that we will see creations and attitudes as varied as as artbitrary group of people's (at least as far as the AI will let the creatures develop in those respects).
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Fumanchu

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2006, 09:30:00 am »
I like the idea of 'awe' being expressed somehow by the creatures you visit. Especially if they're at a level that can't destroy your UFO arbitrarily. I remember Will saying that, although you wouldn't be visited by interstallar civs (while pre-space), you might see an occasional fly-by of their UFO. When you're in the creature stage, wouldn't that be so cool, while you're hunting / foraging, to look up and see some weird UFO zip by? Awesome!

Overall, though, it would be nice if some of the creatures reacted even a little bit to you flying around in your UFO, like they'd gesture at you or something and make noises like they were scared.

**Edit: Pre-space visitations.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 09:32:08 am by Fumanchu »

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2006, 09:49:30 am »
Umm I was pretty sure there wouldn't even be UFO flybys.  I was pretty sure he said that no other race would get to the space stage before you and that was why you wouldn't need to worry about intergalatic visitors.  Personally, I would like the option to turn that off in the tribal stage so that someone could potentially colonize my homeworld and I need to deal with the result of that.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Duke Rajko

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2006, 10:46:45 am »
Will said it would be kind of like an easter egg, therefore having no actual effect on the gameplay.

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2006, 11:39:48 am »
The only thing is that the Civ4 interface needed some work, but it should work for Spore just fine.