Author Topic: Booze and Brew: The Homebrewing Topic  (Read 7108 times)

Offline Rysworld

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Booze and Brew: The Homebrewing Topic
« on: July 14, 2020, 02:15:21 pm »
I recently got all the stuff off of Amazon to brew a mead, or honey wine. Watched one too many homebrewing videos and caught the bug, I guess.

Technically I got a beer brewing kit and I'm going to not use their grains and yeast. Instead...

I have this huge, ****off amount of honey. Wine yeast, 5-gallon fermenter, and various other stuff coming soon.

I don't start things in half-measures, so I'm planning on making a melomel, a fruit mead, with the addition of hibiscus and juniper. I find myself really undecided as to what fruit, though.

Anyone do any homebrewing before? Any suggestions for what fruit? Updates in this thread when they happen.

BREW IDEAS:

Mead with blue gatorade powder - "Goblin War Mead"
Mango pineapple wine with lime and chili added - "Fiesta in a Bottle"
Peanut, grape, and pork stock stout - "Elvis Essence"
Kiwi gooseberry wine: "Shimmergrass"
Gathered flower & blackberry cider: "Forager's Quaff"

CURRENT BREWS:

Sparkling Strawberry Mead: "Delight"
Sparkling Blueberry-Hibiscus Mead: "Merriment"

FAILED BREWS:

Hibiscus, Juniper, and black tea mead (DEFUNCT JAN 2021): "Bloody Bee"

FINISHED BREWS:

Lightly-hopped mango-pineapple-orange braggot (half mead, half beer): "Golden Goblin" - ~10% abv, Tastes very sour, unbalanced, and unpleasant... It will get you drunk, though.
Blueberry-pomegranate cider and golden gooseberry-strawberry cider: "Umbral Brew & Liquid Summer" - ~11-12% abv, Umbral Brew tastes like a lower mid-shelf redwine, slightly sweet and decently tannic. Liquid summer is slightly sour, fruity, and boozy.
Corn and Butternut Squash Cider: "Harvestwine" - 12.5% abv, Lightly vegetal, sweet, and bitter.
Pineapple-Banana beer: "Island Milk" - ~4-6.5% abv (not measured), Bready, hoppy, yeasty.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 12:23:59 pm by Rysworld »

Offline sgore

• Boulder Dasher
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
Re: Booze and Brew: The Homebrewing Topic
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 02:58:49 pm »
Neat stuff!

I don't know much about making your own mead, but I hope it goes well, by which I mean please do not accidentally poison yourself or blow anything up.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Rysworld

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 03:18:19 pm »
All of the failure states are pretty easily detectable, because it will smell and taste rotten, or sulfurous, or acidic.

People have been doing this for ten thousand years! I'll probably live.

Offline sgore

• Boulder Dasher
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 03:34:32 pm »
Well in that case I hope you get drunk off honey and have a wonderful time!
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 07:14:41 pm »
All of the failure states are pretty easily detectable, because it will smell and taste rotten, or sulfurous, or acidic.

People have been doing this for ten thousand years! I'll probably live.
As far as I am aware failures cannot really hurt you, they just taste terrible.

I haven't personally made wine or beer but most of my family makes wine of some sort. The kind I have become particularly fond of is rhubarb wine; it is delicious. Couldn't tell you much about the process though. The less a drink, the more harmonious my life is since I have one of those personalities. :3

Maybe you can make a mead out of rhubarb? Mead always strikes me as a traditional drink and rhubarb strikes me as a traditional veggie. I'm a fan of very simple and "regular" flavors at least to start, so unless that's your taste you may want to try something a bit more exciting. Apricot may work well, too.

Also is your honey local or imported from another region or country? Keep your honey local and you may be able to glean some of the allergy-blocking benefits of local honey.

Offline Rysworld

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 07:33:05 pm »
I've heard a little bit about rhubarb wine, from when I was doing homebrewing research. It sounded cool, I've only had rhubarb pie once or twice in my life but I remember liking the taste. That sort of sour, almost vegetal flavor seems like it'd go good in some booze.

Nah it's from Idaho. I needed like twelve pounds raw and unfiltered so I bought whatever was cheapest on Amazon because I am a zoomer.

On a whim I bought a big tin of pineapple juice I saw so that might be the fruit addition. Pineapple, hibiscus and juniper doesn't sound bad to me at all.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 09:26:36 am »
Hey Ry, I'm making mead too right now oddly enough. You should totally put in raisins, blueberries, and orange slices (peel included) for a nice fruity flavor. Also, not that this really matters, but mead with fruit in it is technically called a melomel. Very pretty word I think.

Here's hoping both of our mead batches go well!

Offline Rysworld

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 03:27:59 pm »
Yes! I think homebrewing has probably seen a small spike in popularity, what with people on average being inside more with more free time- though I don't know when you started your brew. Have a prospective name for it yet? Using nutrient, any regimen?

Raisins definitely, they seem to be a given in most mead recipes for "body" or something. Other than that I will probably end up putting in whatever fruits I have on hand, really.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 06:32:00 pm »
About ten years ago the home brewing or craft brewery scene went from nonexistent to a very popular mainstream activity for middle and upper class young adults/married couples. It was a really big deal and a lot of people I know picked it up then. Before that home brewing was a thing some people did but it was not nearly as common as it is today. This occurred shortly after the microbrewery craze swept the nation and small towns became destinations due to their local, small brewery. Seems to be a cycle that ebbs and flows over time.

History repeats itself. Rhymes and all that.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 07:24:57 pm »
Started the brew just the other day and I'm only letting it go for six weeks, so I don't think I'll need to keep "re-nutrienting" it; just basically letting it sit. Not sure how good it will be but I wanna practice the basic process with a "burner brew" before I make one for real.

Offline Rysworld

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 12:09:28 am »
A burner brew is probably a really good idea! Counter to that, I'm only waiting on my hydrometer and some juniper to get here in a couple days before I make five whole-ass gallons of mead.

Second thought the extra fruit additions, just going to up the ante on the hibiscus, juniper and black tea since the yeast I'm using should get it to 18%, which should be well into what people online keep calling "rocket fuel" status when it's young. I want a lot of that juniper and hibiscus and not so much for it to taste like a bad cocktail. Can always backsweeten with fruit juice instead of honey, anyways, if I think it needs it.

My aunt has a couple extra carboys sitting around so I might end up doing a smaller, more experimental batch of something... Thought a lot about a kiwi melomel recently, I think the color would be really cool. Maybe something like a wine or beer that doesn't have to sit around as long as mead does.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 12:21:20 am by Rysworld »

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 12:48:58 am »
Oh ****, I should start making some wine immediately. Thank you for the excellent idea. Let me know how the hibiscus juniper black tea mead comes out! Sounds incredible, might turn out to be, like, a refreshing mead? Time will tell.

After I get this burner batch done, I'm going to try to make a sweet, high ABV golden mead, using extra honey and periodic nutrient supplements to keep the champagne yeast going, and let it brew until Samhain (Pagan household, I know, don't make fun of me lmao), and then backsweeten it with more honey or with apple juice. I just want some **** that really feels like fantasy D&D tavern grog and knocks you on your ass near immediately!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 07:27:04 am »
One of the reasons I don't drink beer that much is because of the low alcohol content. Also the flavor, but I think all alcohol tastes terrible so I know what I'm in for before I start. (I can taste the alcoholness, doesn't matter what kind of drink it is, they all taste bad)

So I stick to 100 proof liquors most of the time. That way I am not loading up on calories and get what I want right away. When are you going to start illegally distilling liquor? Can you make me a knock-off Yukon Jack? :3

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 03:43:27 am »
Jesus Pat, 100 proof only? What's it like when someone comes over for a drink and all you have is nail polish remover?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 02:24:37 pm »
I keep an assortment of beer and weaker/stronger liquor around for guests. But generally I prefer to drink alone in the dark. (unironically)

One of my buddies like this 120 proof stuff. That's pretty good. I can drink with him. Most other people just hold me back. :P