Author Topic: Today is the Day!  (Read 38126 times)

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
Re: Today is the Day!
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2008, 10:44:50 am »
you will get disappointed.

Im with this one.

Offline DarkDragon

• Double Dragon Dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2008, 10:45:10 am »
3h 15m left :D
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Jayce

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2008, 10:46:19 am »
Wow, Spore, been years (literally) since I looked at this. Just turned on an old laptop and this site was in my favourites, what were the chances of me popping in on an important day.

I see my FAQ is still there, it must be well out of date by now ;-)

Ah well good luck with the announcement. So many things have come along to drag me away recently, been waiting for AoC and dabbling about getting into MetaPlace. I'm sure Spore would still be cool though.

Hello to anyone who may remember me.

Offline creiij

• Phoenix Fighter
  • I'm a jerk! A j-e-r-k!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2008, 10:55:37 am »
Well, even if we get no or bad news I'm still waiting for my newly ordered laptop to arrive. It's a nice looking M1530 from Dell with great looks and great power. Will probably be able to run Spore, but it's mainly a surf/movie/work computer so it doesn't have to. =)

Anyway, give me some Spore news or give me my laptop! =)

Offline Rutilant

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2008, 10:57:36 am »
What is WRONG with you guys?  ???

Offline Newton

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2008, 11:02:14 am »

We've just been through this dog and pony show a few times before, either with this game or other highly anticipated games.  They will say something about spore at the conference call though, even if it isn't a firm date, primarily because alot is riding on the new IP, and EA needs something positive to tell shareholders.

Offline Sporbie

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2008, 11:09:19 am »

We've just been through this dog and pony show a few times before, either with this game or other highly anticipated games.  They will say something about spore at the conference call though, even if it isn't a firm date, primarily because alot is riding on the new IP, and EA needs something positive to tell shareholders.

They will probably say something like: "well Spore is going along pretty well, it is nearly finished, but we can't give you an exact date because beta testing is still under way but we estimate it to ship in April-June", they will basically give info we already know.

Offline creiij

• Phoenix Fighter
  • I'm a jerk! A j-e-r-k!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2008, 11:12:33 am »

They will probably say something like: "well Spore is going along pretty well, it is nearly finished, but we can't give you an exact date because beta testing is still under way but we estimate it to ship in April-June", they will basically give info we already know.

Well if I get something confirmed like may-june I would be happy since right now, we don't know if the game comes out in april this year or the next one....

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2008, 11:17:16 am »
Guys calm down honestly. Even if we don't get anything today keep your pitch forks and torches in storage until after next month. Around that time frame does not mean in January or not at all.

Offline Cyrus

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2008, 11:20:22 am »
Wow, Spore, been years (literally) since I looked at this. Just turned on an old laptop and this site was in my favourites, what were the chances of me popping in on an important day.

Ah well good luck with the announcement. So many things have come along to drag me away recently, been waiting for AoC and dabbling about getting into MetaPlace. I'm sure Spore would still be cool though.

I remember you Jayce!  Yeah, stumbled back on these boards in the past week or so as well.
Looks like even I was being optimistic with a March 07 release date...

Offline Sporbie

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2008, 11:24:21 am »

I remember you Jayce!  Yeah, stumbled back on these boards in the past week or so as well.

Yeah I'm an old spore fan also, I kinda quit being hyped about it, but I started lurking this forum since it is supposedly nearing it's release.

Offline Jayce

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2008, 11:32:36 am »
If you're to believe everything you read / hear then it would seem that Spore won't be out until the end of tis year or even next year (2009!).

This seems to be the norm though for games these days or maybe just the ones I follow. I'm sure when I first heard of Spore it was slated for an end of 2006 release!

Actually, i've just checked the FAQ I started at the top of the forum and it was indeed slated for fall of 2006. Still it's easy to see how a company can underestimate by 18 months to 2 years (potentially), the same happened to SWG and is currently happpening to AoC / Warhammer.

Still it means more time to get it right I guess.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 11:35:42 am by Jayce »

Offline TFGoose

• Missile Commander
  • Made of 100% All-Natural Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2008, 11:35:36 am »
Yeesh, what an insane week of work.  Haven't been able to post for days, lol.  Anyway, after reading all these threads and watching everyone look towards the end of this day with amounts of optimism ranging from overly exuberant to downright fatalistic, I have this to say:

If no news comes, it is NOT because April or anyone else on the Spore team lied.  At worst, they believed they were going to be able to officially announce the date this month, and then something happened which forced an alteration of those plans.  The absolute worst that they could be accused of, if nothing gets released to the community today, is not being more straight forward with us.  If no information is coming, that's fine.  We would just like to be told why.  Some will believe the reasons and some won't, but saying something (even a disappointing something) is better than saying nothing at all. 

Even that being said, none of us are actually there in the meetings, dealing with the day to day events that go with making this game, in what I'm certain is an ever-changing atmosphere of requirements, deadlines, and expectations.  I suggest that we all try to keep things in perspective as we move through the rest of this day, and through the weeks and months to come as they build towards release.  I have faith that more information is coming, and that they are indeed close to giving us the release date that we've been told to expect.  And if that news doesn't come today, my sincere hope is that we will at least see some communication as to why that is, and that it won't be too long of a delay.

Here's hoping....

--TFGoose
Quote from: me
Where there's a Will, there's a way....

Offline rustybrazenfire

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2008, 11:56:29 am »
I think it is important to give credit where credit is due...
Al Gore made Spore possible by creating the Internet.
They should call it "Al Gore's Spore".  ;)

Unless of course, Colbert somehow created Al Gore...  ;D

But Conan created Colbert... therefore Conan created Spore! ;)

Offline rayofash

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2008, 12:26:21 pm »
I think it is important to give credit where credit is due...
Bolt Beranek, Newman, J.C.R. Licklider, and Leonard Kleinrock made Spore possible by creating the Internet.
They should call it "Bolt Beranek, Newman, J.C.R. Licklider, and Leonard Kleinrock's Spore".  ;)

Unless of course, Colbert somehow created Spore...  ;D

Fixed.