Author Topic: Galactical Bookmarks  (Read 7579 times)

Offline GrapeFruit

• Gorf Goon
  • I'm killing my way to truth!
    • View Profile
Galactical Bookmarks
« on: July 25, 2008, 12:56:31 pm »
As I was watching Wrights ComiCon presentation I was wondering if they implemented some sort of bookmarks so you'll find your way back to cool stuff you did.
For example the planet he blew up in that presentation. As he said, the debris would turn into an asteroid belt after some time.
As cool as this is, I know myself enough to be sure that I'd forget to check back later on and as soon as I would remember the things I wanted to do I'll have forgotten where I'd need to go.
If you keep playing you'll sure as hell forget about all the terraformed planets, alien species' you dropped a monolith for, planets you found which are populated with one of your own creations, etc. etc. and thus you'll lose quite some funny, awesome experiences.
I really hope they thought of this. Anybody else worried?

(if they didn't think of this, the walls of my room will soon be spammed with post-its where I jot down the vital informations)

Quote from: Liquos
I can't wait that long! I'm gonna explode from patience!

Quote from: Parkaboy
"Around the world you may notice that other creatures evolve while others don't"
That's because some of them are christians.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: Galactical Bookmarks
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 01:02:01 pm »
yea, I hope they have some kind of bookmark or beacon feature as that would also be important for making sure you don't loose track of the wormhole portal back home. Someone else said that Will said that it would have taken hours for him to get home if he lost that portal.

Also, your home system seems to have an automatic marker.

I wouldn't want to miss out on any cool stuff that happens later such as an asteroid belt forming.

In another video, we saw the player at what appears to be a protoplanetary system, perhaps given time (in reality, it would take millions of years), planets would form?

Offline K3rnan

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 01:37:14 pm »
I hadn't considered this until now but I see what your saying, I really do hope there is a well thought out bookmark/beacon feature otherwise I will forget almost everything I've done!  My memory's not what it used to be... eh? What was I saying?

I may just stock up on post-it notes just in case :P
Please check out my Spore profile or visit my YouTube channel!

Offline GrapeFruit

• Gorf Goon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 02:00:39 pm »
...making sure you don't loose track of the wormhole portal back home. Someone else said that Will said that it would have taken hours for him to get home if he lost that portal.

Although it would suck getting lost in space, it's still funny (in a masochistic way).
I thinks it's great they made the galaxy so vast. I'd wager the whole exploring would soon get boring if you just could jump accross the galaxy in a few seconds. Even when you have found a lot of wormholes to jump to, you still have to do some travelling if the planet you want to visit is far away from the wormhole. (much like airports irl)

"Around the world you may notice that other creatures evolve while others don't"

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 02:08:44 pm »
The main concern I have with losing the wormhole is running out of fuel before I can get back and refuel. I bet if you had max fuel capacity and plenty of time, it's safe to lose track of the wormhole.

Besides, I kind of want to explore all over the place.

I'll probably do alot of experiments with terraforming, but I'll start with the cell stage for sure so that I can get the full tutorial so to speak.

Offline Len84

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 03:02:05 pm »
I'm hoping the Timeline feature will feature parts and locations as to where you did specific stuff in space.
Didn't Will Wright mention that you could put a marker on the map later on in the game? May be a skill to unlock!

Either way, this game is looking soooo awesome.

Offline Pietoro

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 03:23:07 pm »
Do we know whether we can get fuel in space (asteroid mining, etc) or do we HAVE to go to a colony/allied planet for it?

It seems to me to make sense that it would work that way, because then you'd get a 'bonus' for having lots of allied/conquered worlds to make pit stops at.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 03:27:41 pm by Pietoro »
"Ooh rabba la dee teeb, ooh babba labba squeeb!"

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 03:30:35 pm »
As far as we know, you have to go to a colony world or your homeworld (or an allied world), but I'm not sure if that is 100% confirmed. We don't even know what will be used to power your ship, other than some kind of energy.

Offline Squids

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 07:52:38 pm »
Never thought about this. There has got to be some kind of galaxy map, or there will be one made by players. That is unless each players galaxies are different which they might be, hmm. Maybe in your timeline of events thing it lists it will list the things you have done to planets?

Offline Rusted

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 08:34:08 pm »
As far as we know, you have to go to a colony world or your homeworld (or an allied world), but I'm not sure if that is 100% confirmed. We don't even know what will be used to power your ship, other than some kind of energy.

I think he says it's still spice for fuel at E3 no?

I know I've heard in a video that there would be "at least a billion planets... more than you can visit in the game" so I would presume they would have to have a bookmarks system?

Or in http://au.pc.ign.com/dor/objects/735340/spore/videos/spore_interview_071708.html

If you pause as he leaves the planet you can see a drop down menu, I get the feel that the drop down is recent places visited? Because he doesn't use that and manually drives to the planet?

Lots of speculation on my part I guess.... now if only I had a post-it to remind me to buy post-its...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 08:36:41 pm by Rusted »
Terraforming. 
Turning dirt, forming.
Turning dirt; forming.
Terraforming.

Rusted -Sporepedia Name and Link
PM if you add me, I'll return the favor.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 09:08:20 pm »
The planets and systems you have visited, monoliths you have dropped, species you have created, are all kept in your sporepedia. So there wont be any loosing them. And I can safely assume that once you have visted a system and are capable of traveling back there you will only need to click "travel to" on a sporepedia card and instantly travel back there.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 10:34:30 pm »
Yeah Sporepedia will be the guide back to things you have found.

Offline GrapeFruit

• Gorf Goon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 05:19:39 am »
The planets and systems you have visited, monoliths you have dropped, species you have created, are all kept in your sporepedia. So there wont be any loosing them. And I can safely assume that once you have visted a system and are capable of traveling back there you will only need to click "travel to" on a sporepedia card and instantly travel back there.

Ok, seems reasonable.

Offline LoneStarSage

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • A true modern hero
    • View Profile
    • The Spore Group
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 08:55:37 am »
I have seen lots of whining about religion in the game or the game not holding to some scientific purity and worries over SecuRom.

But of all the things that could really ruin a game such as this, it would have to be this one.   If there is no way to book mark when traveling through such a large environment, yikes that would dampen gameplay.

Surely there will be some kind of marker system.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 02:29:05 pm by LoneStarSage »

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 10:47:19 am »
...In my day, we had to draw hand made maps with little notes all over them to navigate a proper game.  And were were happy to!

;)