Author Topic: Sins of a Solar Empire  (Read 16935 times)

Offline Poised

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
Re: Sins of a Solar Empire
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2008, 04:05:34 am »
One of the Sin devs made an open letter about piracy, very cool read:
http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/post.aspx?postid=303512

Offline otaku62

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2008, 05:08:57 am »
Does anybody know if you can change your name in a single player game from "New Player" to something else?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2008, 06:34:26 am »
Its in the options menu somewhere. I don't know specifically. Just click through the submenus until you find it.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline otaku62

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2008, 09:45:38 am »
Thanks - found it now. When you start a new game, there's a tab called "Player Setup" and there you can change the name.

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2008, 01:03:48 pm »
i dont get it, i am constantly attacking this army, but it keeps wanting me to do stuff for them, are they retards?

also, it feels like all other npc players are people giving me jobs, why cant i give them jobs? and why is that nearly the only major thing you do in the diplomacy screen??

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2008, 01:10:43 pm »
Because the diplomacy sucks.

All you can really do is be their bitch.
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2008, 02:41:31 pm »
I like the demo, but the AI is annoying. No matter what they always focus on military, and back stab me despite the fact that the other AI has been a huge dick towards them and I am opening a huge hole for them to attack.

Do real players remove this?

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2008, 02:49:26 pm »
AI players will team up on you in an FFA. The newest patch makes them team up on the leader instead, which will probably be you anyway.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2008, 05:17:51 pm »
the only real threat when i play are the ****ing pirates. i hate them so much.

the AI people just monkey around asking me to give them my bases and all my children and so on.
i played one game and smashed the ai player with relative ease, the game asked me to end or continue, i chose to continue.

i almost died from the constant pirate attacks. finally after a while i managed to scramble together a huge army and i strapped some high tech laser beams (i think, i get confused so i just click at random for ship improvements) and armor upgrades. i smashed the pirate base which had more defenses than all that the AI players had together.

i managed to defeat the pirates, but then a group of other pirates appeared out of nowhere and started harrassing my capital which i had emptied to fight in the last battle at the pirate home base. i managed to win though. and after this i dont really have anything more to do...

would be nice if you could add a new and unexplored star system with new and intelligent enemies.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2008, 06:12:24 pm »
Preferably, that would be campaign mode, but it's not meant to be...

Personally, an option to just turn pirates off would be awesome.  As it stands I can never tell if I'm winning because I'm good, or because I always buy off the pirates from the start.  I know I could just put my military into eliminating their home world from the start, but I always feel like it would leave me too vulnerable.  If diplomacy worked in any reasonable way I could work toward a temporary alliance and launch a join attack to take them down, but in a two player game the AI just won't listen, even if pirates burn their worlds to the ground every ten minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but it's these little details that get under my skin and make me wonder "why didn't they fix this?"
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2008, 06:35:07 pm »
You can turn pirates off.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2008, 06:46:03 pm »
What, where?  I looked for the option but couldn't find it.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2008, 07:21:01 pm »
You have to do it when you generate the map, I think.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2008, 02:28:58 am »
i turned them off, they were still there....?

Offline otaku62

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2008, 03:34:55 am »
You can always raise the bounty on the AI. If their bounty is higher than yours, the pirates go after them.
But I found it's not too bad to fight them once in a while, so you can level your capital ships.