Author Topic: Interesting social expriements  (Read 15188 times)

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting social expriements
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2008, 08:36:12 pm »
words (if they qualify as such) written by mist.

Notorious BOB seems to have taken what i was going to say. Humans are the only animals on the planet that wonder where we came from. We got to this level by a deeply sophisticated system called natural selection, in which random mutations play an important role (get that straight, it's important). If we didn't get here, we wouldn't be wondering where we came from, and we wouldn't have invented a God.

Your blackjack analogy doesn't extend this far. Natural selection is NOT based on random chance, therefore there does not have to be anyone "dealing the cards." Even if it were based on random chance, who says there has to be anyone dealing the cards for random to happen? Doesn't intervention make it not random? Or is that what you're arguing?

1/1000000000th full of ****? that's not a very high percentage of ****...

Mist, are you from an English speaking country?

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2008, 10:50:44 pm »
Back on topic please. :(

I always liked to do that. : D

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2008, 12:31:40 am »
Take animal from desert plant, drop it on icy planet.

Icy planet gives it the "shaggy_fur_a" mutation.

Take evolved animal back to desert planet.

Breed it with the natives.

Would some of their offspring have shaggy_fur_a? Or maybe shaggy_fur_b which would be only half as shaggy?

Imagines shaggy cheetos for the cheeto creature.

Offline TheMist

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2008, 02:32:13 am »
words (if they qualify as such) written by mist.

Notorious BOB seems to have taken what i was going to say. Humans are the only animals on the planet that wonder where we came from. We got to this level by a deeply sophisticated system called natural selection, in which random mutations play an important role (get that straight, it's important). If we didn't get here, we wouldn't be wondering where we came from, and we wouldn't have invented a God.

Your blackjack analogy doesn't extend this far. Natural selection is NOT based on random chance, therefore there does not have to be anyone "dealing the cards." Even if it were based on random chance, who says there has to be anyone dealing the cards for random to happen? Doesn't intervention make it not random? Or is that what you're arguing?

1/1000000000th full of ****? that's not a very high percentage of ****...

Mist, are you from an English speaking country?

sorry i meant 9999999999/1000000000ths full of **** but any way it sost lily or ethan that were talking self-replicting adaptive nano-funtional machines that is LITERLLY have a hurrican make the empire state building
I am perfectly aware of my typing impediment please don’t point it out<br />join the union http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=11929.0<br /><br />Spice Spice baby http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=11915.0

I am not a troll.

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2008, 02:45:22 am »
I think this is the spore section not the off-topic section (Also known as the Religious Section for tonight).
Your Friendly Canadian Fighter :)
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2008, 02:47:40 am »
Durgon's right.

Back on topic guys. :-\

Hasn't everyone got enough of the Micropayment Wars already?

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2008, 09:29:09 am »
Well, since the topic says experiments (plural) here's something I've been thinking about. Apparently the way you design and play your creature affects social interaction. Certain mouths allow you to sing better, and I'm guessing certain feet allow you to dance better. Also, once upon a time, Will Wright stated that if you play your creature as a loner, they'll all be more solitary (mind you this was a loooooooooong time ago) or if you build groups they'll be more social. So what I'm wondering is, if you create a creature that in every way is antisocial, will it be able to survive as an NPC, without an intelligent mind driving its species towards sapience. Or will it be so antisocial it can't get along with anyone, not even its own kind, and so be doomed to a fast extinction in other peoples games?