Author Topic: ODDWORLD - a "feature planet" in the Spore Universe  (Read 43369 times)

Offline Zen

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
    • Mat Brady
ODDWORLD - a "feature planet" in the Spore Universe
« on: April 16, 2006, 08:57:32 pm »
I'd like to discuss the idea of a "feature planet" within the Spore universe that is essentially a recreation of the creatures, buildings and vehicles that appear in the Oddworld games.  I think it's a nice fit, to reserve one planet in Spore to be the planet of Oddworld, (and for now let's conveniently leave out all the legalities for others to sort out / approve / bargain / etc… ), but I'd like to concentrate this thread on what a project like that would involve because it's a terrific imagination exercise in finding out where the limits of Spore will be, and maybe even provide some interesting conversations in the Spore development team.

For example, it's fair to say that the spore editor would only be able to "approximate" the Oddworld cast.  It wouldn't be a perfect translation, but it would at least be better than, say, what Star Wars Lego can approximate to the Star Wars universe.  No surprises there, but sticking with just the creatures for the moment, the Spore editor would be able to re-create some Oddworld creatures incredibly well.  For instance, these guys would be close to perfect...

Scrabs - http://www.ryane.com/Downloads/Images/scrab_yell.jpg

Paramites - http://www.oddworld.au.com/universe/creatures/images/paramite01.jpg

Gabbits - http://www.oddworld.au.com/universe/creatures/images/gabbit05.jpg

Slogs - http://www.oddworld.au.com/universe/creatures/images/slog01.jpg

Elums - http://www.oddworld.au.com/universe/creatures/images/elum03.jpg

Yet other creatures would have their own difficulties.  Like clothing.  The Glukkons in Oddworld actually rely on it.  (It helps cover their atrophied legs, and so they walk on their hands.  That's why you never see their "arms")  Whereas the Mudokans on the other hand use clothing to distinguish themselves from other Mudokans (or to just cover up their naughty bits).

Glukkons - http://www.artinfantry.com/gallery/albums/oddcharacters/executives1.jpg

Mudokans - http://www.oddworld.au.com/universe/creatures/images/mudokon01.jpg

And then there are the characters like the Sligs that have robotic-limbs, which the editor wouldn't be able to handle at all.  These would technically need to be vehicles that the characters sit in, yet the vehicles in Spore never show the creatures inside them.  The vehicle acts just like another creature, not as an actual vehicle carrying a creature, Sligs in this case still wouldn't be achievable...

Sligs - http://www.artinfantry.com/gallery/albums/oddcharacters/sligs.jpg

Flying Sligs - http://www.oddworld.com/universe/industrial/characters/sligs/ow_flying.html

But it also brings up the idea of robots.  In advanced civilisations that are capable of interstellar travel surely they would be capable of building robots.  (Essentially these would be vehicles).  Here are two that appear in the Oddworld universe...

Snoozers - http://www.oddworld.com/universe/industrial/characters/snoozer_assets/snoozer.gif

Greeters - http://www.oddworld.com/universe/industrial/characters/ow_greeter.html

And then there are the completely strange ones that pose their own unique problems.  For instance, the Fleeches can grappling-hook to higher places just using their tongues!

Fleeches - http://www.oddworld.au.com/universe/creatures/images/fleech01.jpg

And Fuzzles can change from cute fluffy little furballs into a rabid ball of teeth!   This isn't really a big issue, but the unique thing about Fuzzles is that they have no legs at all!  They bounce everywhere like rubber balls.  (And they have fur).  Can creatures in spore bounce to get around?

Fuzzles - http://www.artinfantry.com/gallery/albums/oddcharacters/fuzzies3.jpg

And then there's Elum.  Abe's friendly ride.  Can creatures be tamed and ridden?  Would creatures who, once tamed, be available in the vehicle editor?  And if so, could they be given machine enhancements, like a saddle, or armour, or robot legs (like the Sligs)?

Elum - http://www.artinfantry.com/gallery/albums/oddcharacters/abe_elum.jpg

This particular creature, a Vykker, sports a tattoo that looks like a brand.  Can we give our creatures tattoos?  In some ways I hope we can, but only if they're procedural- otherwise we'd have herds of Pepsi Bears and Coke-a-sauruses filling up our creature databases.  Yuck.

Vykkers - http://www.artinfantry.com/gallery/albums/oddcharacters/Vykkers1.jpg

The Sporification of Oddworld would be incredibly cool, and even if it doesn't happen (at least on a deliberately professional level, which won't stop fans from creating Scrabs and Mudokans) I hope then that the idea of Sporifying an existing imaginary world raises questions that can at least be useful to the Spore development team.  If not just to generate ideas and considerations for the Spore creature editor, but also how it's other editors as well.  For instance, looking at the fantastic buildings in Oddworld, can we have statues, like those that appear in the Mudokan shrines?  Can they be overgrown with leaves and vines?  Tree houses?  Walkways between these raised structures?  Monorails?  Monorails over water?  Floating cities?   The list could really go on and on, but the fundamental notion here is that Spore could add and add and add and keep adding to what is possible within its universe. 

As much as the players will add content to enrich the Spore universe, I hope the developers can continue to increase the capabilities of what is possible for the players to create.  If the developers keep adding tools, we'll keep building with them, which will inturn keep enriching the game.  Just talking about all the possibilities makes me giddy with excitement.  I'd love to pop in my UFO and dash around planet Oddworld for a while, then maybe off to the world of the Dark Crystal and see what's happening there before scooting past Endor, Tattoine, and Hoth. 

Ok, I think I need to lie down now.   :D  zzzzz...

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
Re: ODDWORLD - a "feature planet" in the Spore Universe
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 08:58:38 pm »
I'm not sure if you talked about this, but wouldn't it be infinitely hard to find that one planet?
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Sporinger Z

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 09:10:32 pm »
Well, I was thinking about breeding a slog in my world (among some other "real" creatures and some of my own; if possible). Anyway, we all can create our dreamed planet, we're just limited by the "game engine".

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 09:18:55 pm »
1- robotic limbs and robots themselves will be possible, they won't need vehicles
2- tattoos and mounts are highly suspect and most likely not possible
3- I think it would be very cool if Maxis struck some deals with a few companies and hid planets like this throughout the universe (very very rare, only one planet like it in the entire galaxy).  Earth and Oddworld would be pretty cool.

But if number 3 is not possible, if Maxis (or the other party) is unwilling to get/grant a license then I hope that Maxis still makes highly complex and polished planets and populates them very very rarely throughout the galaxy (as I said, one in the entire galaxy).

Offline Sporinger Z

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 09:25:48 pm »
2- tattoos and mounts are highly suspect and most likely not possible

Tattoos... maybe with a skin/texture editor.

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 10:24:02 pm »
Oh I hope they add easter eggs to the game, and special planets would be great.

Offline Sporinger Z

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 11:06:27 pm »
special planets

??? What do you mean?  ???

Offline Psychic_Dude

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 11:43:00 pm »
While it would be cool to see these specific things in Spore, It would be same as making Homer Simpson or any other copyrighted material, obviously the spore development team cant do this but there's no reason players cant and I have no doubt they will be watching what is uploaded and with that said I'm sure uploading/downloading material wont be restricted to the official Maxis/EA server.

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 02:16:27 am »
special planets

??? What do you mean?  ???

Like an Oddworld planet, or heck even a solar system filled with planets that look like easter eggs and are populated by bunnies and peeps.

Offline Sporinger Z

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 02:22:06 am »
Oh,oh, I know, like an Odd... planet  ;) Maybe not possible from the begining but easily created by any player, i suppose.

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 02:25:11 am »
Or anything unique/fun. Maybe a whole world populated by races that happen to resemble employees of maxis?

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 03:48:31 am »
Okay, so maybe an Oddworld planet isn't such a great idea given that it belongs to someone else.  But I do hope that there are very rare and very bizarre worlds strewn throughout the galaxy.  Perhaps these could also contain minigames and quests  :)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 05:52:11 am »
Okay, so maybe an Oddworld planet isn't such a great idea given that it belongs to someone else.  But I do hope that there are very rare and very bizarre worlds strewn throughout the galaxy.  Perhaps these could also contain minigames and quests  :)

It's true, given the legalities.

I still want there to be Earth somewhere in the galaxy. That's an easter egg.

Offline patsplats

• Zork Emperor
  • bwahahaha e=fish bwahahah
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 07:10:41 am »
skin editing has been confirmed we can colour our creatures.
Code:

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2006, 07:14:13 am »
an Earth would be a necessar easter egg... but if it's not in then it will most likely be somebody's (my?) project at some point.

Offline noogle

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2006, 07:36:46 am »
i really like the slog but, how does it see? i don't see any eyes

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2006, 09:16:18 am »
yes they have no eyes because they dont need em the sligs order them about like attack dogs,, and sligs have no legs (there mechanical) the can also fly because they can have a proppeler installed. a slog is a sligs best friend , its basicly an attack dog that can be ordered about by a slig, with commands like "GIIEEET 'EM!!" and stuff, they were real fun to posses because you could  order the slog to attack another slig. glukkons could be possesed and you could order sligs about with them, so you could order a slig to machine gun another slig to death and stuff, great fun , i played those games as a kid, but in the end i didnt save enough muddokens so the native mudokens let me be thrown into a blender sorta thing.

and if you took control of a paramite you could lead your little pack of paramites about, there was this one level when you had to posses a scrab and fight other scrabs to the other side of this tunnel but while you were controlling the scrab, these green things that were absoloutly tiny would lick you and after they'd licked you a certain number of times, one of them would swallow you hole even though they were only the size of your foot, little bastards

the story of the one i loved as a kid was increditly deep, but in a nutshell, abe is a mudoken who was cleaning when he over heard the glukkons say they were going to kill the mudokens and sell them as snacks and stuff , like  this drink that when you drank it he farted and you could posses the fart ew, but anyway he decides to try and help all the muddokens escape and so you must go up a kudoken and ask him to follow you and sneak around the sligs and slogs and all them and get to these birds and when you chant they turn into a portal and the muddokens that are following you run into it and you do that, thats the bare bones of the story.

here are some screenies from one of the oldesnt and best oddworld games the new ones have brilliant graphics but arnt as traditional,

here are the legless sligs going to get there "wings" at the appropriatly named "getcha' wings station" and that oval with the green line in it can be talked to, it has a very jolly voice and you ask it to open doors and stuff forn ya'

here are the paramites and abe has possesed one of them and he is going to use it to tug that rope to open a door and there are those little green bastards that can eat you hole like a fly eats a frog, they can't be possesed,

the graphics of the new ones can be seen in the first post. are they gonna make anymore of these games?

elum was brilliant, you could ride him like a horse around the native mudokens territory, you had to wistle to get through some doors or they would shooot you with a sling shot

also mudokens had moods and you had to cheer them up and tuff  by saying i am sorry or somthing in that cute mudoken child like voice

« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 09:47:21 am by Brutus_ »
Never mind your own business.

Offline Sporinger Z

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2006, 12:21:10 pm »
i really like the slog but, how does it see? i don't see any eyes

Or course they are blind. At this moment, the game will have "sense" concept. It maybe improved just with eyes, or maybe you can add ears, ants, or whatever to your creature in order to have another way of sense the world around you.

This is the eternal problem of "not having enogh info". :'(

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2006, 12:26:46 pm »
yea but in spore, you are the creatures eyes,

Offline Sporinger Z

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2006, 12:36:32 pm »

THIS is why at the first time I think eyes COULD be useless. If at last, they are so, I won't waste evolution points on them.
But later I've seen some pics that make me doubt. Maybe eyes (or another sensitive body parts) are used by the creature when it's roaming free (in order to scape from predators or hunting for preys).

I don't need to say it, but these are just supositions.

Offline CommunistHamster

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2006, 01:54:26 pm »
Maybe, while playing as creatures without eyes, you simply wouldn't be able to see, and you'd have to navigate by some sort of crude minimap? Or a heavily blurred view to represent sonar/electro-sense?

I still want there to be Earth somewhere in the galaxy. That's an easter egg.
Any volunteers for porting every single species on Earth to Spore?  ;D

Offline Sporinger Z

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2006, 02:43:10 pm »
Any volunteers for porting every single species on Earth to Spore? ;D

I'm going to breed some rare prehistorik animals (eg. Tupuxuara, Elasmotherium,Pliosaurus, etc.)

Offline Serdun

• Revenging Yar
  • Sup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2006, 05:37:48 pm »
Can someone fill me in.. What is "Oddword"?  ???
Yes. Of course.

Offline Shivore

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2006, 05:41:02 pm »
Oddworld. It's a series of videogames. You can go here for more info: http://www.gamefaqs.com/search/index.html?game=oddworld&searchplatform=All+Platforms

I'd love to see some of those things in game, even though I've never played a single oddworld game before. Howver, due to copyright issues, I estimate a 0% chance of any of them being included with the game.
"Ignorance can be fixed, Stupid is forever."

Offline Sporinger Z

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2006, 05:51:05 pm »
Howver, due to copyright issues, I estimate a 0% chance of any of them being included with the game.

As an "official creature" of course, but any player can design whatever they want.

TheChaos7

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2006, 06:54:35 pm »
ill be makeing a zerg inspired world

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2006, 09:32:21 pm »
Someone don't forget to make a Steef, the latest, and probably last addition to the Oddworld family.  :'(

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2006, 09:37:01 pm »
Someone don't forget to make a Steef, the latest, and probably last addition to the Oddworld family.  :'(

Steeeef! Steeef! Steef, steef, steef!
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2006, 01:42:40 am »
Im looking forward to the Earth planet. Has anyone seen "Indepedence Day"? Mwahahahahah!
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2006, 02:32:11 am »
I will definitly make an oddworld, no matter what it takes then i will upload it under that name "borderlan" so that the guys that made oddworld wont know so they can't sue, 

the glukkons own rapture farms which is a huge meat processing plant that makes paramite pies and slog sausages and scrab cakes and they plan on making mudoken pops to keep profits up,  and abe is the mudoken destined to save everyone , you know this because the moon has an imprint of his hand on it, kind a crazy but if you play the game you'llknow why.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 03:19:23 am by Brutus_ »

TheChaos7

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2006, 11:02:54 am »
listen..they cant sue anyways..its only copyright infringement if you make a profit of it..i mean maxis will make money from the game duh!..but they make no additonal profit for OUR creatures that WE make..same with that stupid lawsuit vs city of heros marvel lost ..why? because they had no argument

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2006, 11:21:35 am »
listen..they cant sue anyways..its only copyright infringement if you make a profit of it..i mean maxis will make money from the game duh!..but they make no additonal profit for OUR creatures that WE make..same with that stupid lawsuit vs city of heros marvel lost ..why? because they had no argument

However Maxis will still take it off the database anyway.

TheChaos7

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2006, 11:22:58 am »
^^how do you know this?

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2006, 11:23:57 am »
^^how do you know this?

Caryl Shaw said in the presentation she gave at the GDC.

Basically, though there may not be a case against them, Maxis still don't want copyright material in the game. They're quite happy to remove that stuff if they're asked to, and regularly check themselves. By all accounts they have some very sophisticated detection algorithms.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 11:25:31 am by Daxx »

TheChaos7

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2006, 11:24:53 am »
wow i missed something then..can i have a link to this?

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2006, 11:27:09 am »
wow i missed something then..can i have a link to this?

Not unless you are willing to pay $8.

Alternatively, there is a link around but I can't give it to you (I shouldn't even know that it exists, much less let others know).
Scratch that, there is no link.

TheChaos7

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2006, 11:28:26 am »
alrighty then...

Offline Sporinger Z

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2006, 12:51:32 pm »
Is Willosaurus copyrighted?

TheChaos7

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2006, 12:55:44 pm »
doubtful but it would make no sense to make it..you can be assured it wil be included with game along with buttface dillema tweetybird and hengog ..aswell as many other maxis made creatures

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2006, 12:58:35 pm »

Not true, sorry.  If you do a search someone already gave a really nice post quoting the copywright law.  Basically you don't need to make any money, the creator just needs to feel that you have unreasonably impinged on their ability to do something with their creation.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

TheChaos7

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2006, 01:02:33 pm »
yes but they cant sue maxis for something they have no control of..they gave us the editer and some creatures ..as long as the creatures they made dont break the law then they cant do anything..because maxis has no control over what we make..they could suppose post an agreement saying you cant upload copyrighted creatures...but you could still make them..just not upload them use them in your game only

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2006, 02:52:12 pm »
yes but they cant sue maxis for something they have no control of..they gave us the editer and some creatures ..as long as the creatures they made dont break the law then they cant do anything..because maxis has no control over what we make..they could suppose post an agreement saying you cant upload copyrighted creatures...but you could still make them..just not upload them use them in your game only

See sony root kit lawsuits if you want an example of a lawsuit over the use of a tool that the creating company had no control over.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2006, 03:15:32 pm »

The problem is, they distribute those copywrited creatures through their database system. It's this distribution that's the problem.

Now they're not liable for us making them, but they are liable for distributing them once we've made them.

Offline rayofash

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2006, 05:11:40 pm »
"which the editor wouldn't be able to handle at all"

You missed out on the robotic limbs concept art didnt you? Will Wright has said himself there will be robotic limbs.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2006, 09:46:17 pm »
Regarding what Carol Shaw said in her talk:  With the Sims Exchange they would regularly get calls from Marvel complaining that there were Spiderman Skins on the Exchange and so Maxis would compliantly and quickly have them removed.  The fact that it's non-profit doesn't matter, the fact that it's user-made doesn't matter.  What matters (as Daxx had pointed out in the copyrights thread) is brand control.  Marvel must at all times approve every incarnation of Spiderman and the others.  If it wasn't Marvel approved then the company loses (little by little) its hold over the Spiderman brand and image.

Nobody will get sued, and it depends on the company.  If you make and upload a smurf, Maxis might never hear about it from a corporate phone call, if you make an Alien they almost certainly will hear about it.

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2006, 03:31:53 am »
Regarding what Carol Shaw said in her talk:  With the Sims Exchange they would regularly get calls from Marvel complaining that there were Spiderman Skins on the Exchange and so Maxis would compliantly and quickly have them removed.  The fact that it's non-profit doesn't matter, the fact that it's user-made doesn't matter.  What matters (as Daxx had pointed out in the copyrights thread) is brand control.  Marvel must at all times approve every incarnation of Spiderman and the others.  If it wasn't Marvel approved then the company loses (little by little) its hold over the Spiderman brand and image.

Nobody will get sued, and it depends on the company.  If you make and upload a smurf, Maxis might never hear about it from a corporate phone call, if you make an Alien they almost certainly will hear about it.
Yep, as Steve said in (I think) the Podcast before last, the way they'll do it is to remove the content from the err... pollenation server (?) and you get a 'black mark' against your name and a warning. If you make too much copyrighted/explicit content, you will eventually be banned from uploading any more content.

This raises the point that, if we so wished, would there be some sort of checkbox to stop certain creatures being uploaded to the server? What if I just-so-happen to like making races of walking genitalia (just for example, ahem.) and don't want to allow other users to see them?

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2006, 05:50:51 am »
This has been addressed a few times and I think we've gotten a semi-conclusive answer that we will be able to designate stuff for 'non-upload'.  If it wasn't given a conclusive answer, the question certainly was tossed around a lot.

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2006, 08:42:20 am »
This has been addressed a few times and I think we've gotten a semi-conclusive answer that we will be able to designate stuff for 'non-upload'.  If it wasn't given a conclusive answer, the question certainly was tossed around a lot.
I guess a lot of people want to make flying "members".

Maybe we'll find out after E3. <- man, I should make that my signature.

Offline Zen

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
    • Mat Brady
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2006, 06:48:25 am »

Whoops!      :o :o :o

It seems in my original post that started this thread people missed what I said about...

for now let's conveniently leave out all the legalities for others to sort out / approve / bargain / etc…

I said this because there are far more interesting things to be gained by exploring what lies beyond this legal barrier.  AND IT'S VERY VERY INTERESTING...

Like how Spore Mudokans would actually fare against Spore Scrabs and Spore Fleeches, etc.  Spore Oddworld would actually behave MUCH differently than what we see in the original games of Oddworld. 

In the original game the Glukkons are made to be tyrannical rulers, but they are actually very weak- this is created this way to support a specific narrative, however... Chances are the emergent behaviours of Spore Oddworld would get a completely different outcome if the Spore Oddworld Inhabitants were left to their own devices.   Would Spore Scrabs become the dominant species?  Maybe.  However Scrabs in Oddworld were fiercely territorial.  If one of them would be near another they would forget about you and fight each other.  So...

- How would a Spore Scrab decide if they are territorial to this degree or not? 

- Do we choose this in the editor? 

- What indicators are there that they run in herds, packs or by themselves? 

Interesting indeed.  And that's what I meant by getting past the legal stuff and talk about the game itself.  Since we have more of an indirect influence in this than we do with any legal conversations, then I think this is the wiser alternative, no? 

Also, very few people picked up on my last remarks, about visiting other worlds other than Spore Oddworld.  Like Hoth, Tatooine, or... dum,dum,DAAA!!! ...The World Of The Dark Crystal!!!!  How cool would that be???  Personally I think this has been just begging to be made into a game for years now, but no-one's been brave enough to.  But think- a world with

Gelflings
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Academy/3108/gelflings1.jpg

The four-armed urRu,   (Also known as Mystics)
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Academy/3108/mystics1.jpg

The evil Skeksis,
http://shampoo-web.hp.infoseek.co.jp/kotei/pict/photo/skeksis_1.jpg

The tall and elegant landstriders,
http://habidabad.com/images/landstriders_1.JPG

The beetle-like Garthim
http://www.larping.net/pictures/garthim.jpg

And the stupidly cute pod people.  
http://www.eukota.com/THEA80/darkcrystal/images/podlings2.gif

With Gelflings the females have wings. -  Will/can there be such specific gender differences in Spore? 

(BTW, for all you Dark Crystal fans, the sequel is coming out in 2007!!!  That's right- The Power Of The Dark Crystal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_of_the_Dark_Crystal and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460907/ )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For all those people still worried about copyright issues...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Considering how small the creature files will be (and the building files and fauna files, etc), I could literally email an entire world to my friends to download into their universes.  Simple.  I could go to a person's website and download a world from his/her fan site.  There's nothing stopping an underground fan base to circulate their illegal Spore creations, and I say go for it!  Mores the better.  So catch your breath and settle down please.  You're worrying about nothing. 

I still entertain the possibility that professionally made feature planets will be seen in Spore one day.  If not for any other reason than the enormous popularity this game is destined for.  It will be so huge, how can cross-marketing resist the temptation.   :o ;D

But anyway, I digress.  I instead invite you to consider" What existing world you would like to see, and what creative problems/issues may arise from doing so?   ::) ::) ::)

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2006, 01:03:45 am »
I look forward to seeing your Earth. It would be difficult to make.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline darkstar

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Cool looking UFO- Priceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2006, 07:38:50 pm »
It would be awsome (and a bit crazy) if someone took the time to create coruscant (the planetwide city from starwars)
Those who think anything is possible have never tried slamming a revolving door.

Everything has a weakness against grenades ;)

Current Favorite Game- Spore

Waiting on:
Fallout 3
Starcraft 2

Offline Hectonkhyres

• Scramble Skipper
  • Transcendent Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2006, 12:38:08 am »
Here is what you do. Take a creature you really want but is copyrighted, change its color, and give it an extra pair of eyes.
Its no longer under that copyright.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2006, 06:36:14 am »
Here is what you do. Take a creature you really want but is copyrighted, change its color, and give it an extra pair of eyes.
Its no longer under that copyright.

Then its also no longer the creature you wanted.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2006, 08:00:50 am »
Why not just have some ideas of your own? Much more fun.

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2006, 08:10:42 am »

For me, I just want to see if some of the alien ecosystems we see in fiction could function in the simulation.

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2006, 08:12:53 am »

For me, I just want to see if some of the alien ecosystems we see in fiction could function in the simulation.
Yeah, true, but very hard to do replicate/control in Spore I should imagine. A very ambitious project.

Offline Sporinger Z

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2006, 10:12:33 am »

Anyway, we have to remmember "Spore" is just a game with rules of its own and and just some variables, not a scientifical super simulator.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2006, 11:42:12 am »

Anyway, we have to remmember "Spore" is just a game with rules of its own and and just some variables, not a scientifical super simulator.

Maybe Spore is but who said Spore 5 won't be? :-P

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2006, 08:55:50 pm »
boo to sequels!  Expansions all the way.  If they can use code to define the movement of all creatures regardless of their shapes then who's to say that they can't use an expansion to upgrade that code for better movement, nicer texturing.

In short...  the only reason I can see at the moment for expansions is graphical upgrade or an engine overhaul.  If you can upgrade the graphics and the engine via an expansion then instead of tossing Spore for Spore 2 you're multiplying the original by itself and making the original (even if you never play the "expanded galaxy" as good as the sequel itself would be).

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2006, 08:58:57 pm »

Thus why I didn't say 'would work well in reality', but 'in the simulation'.

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2006, 01:20:33 am »
The expansion possibilities for this are nigh-on endless.

Can you imagine Sim-Ant in Spore, using your own subterranian creatures? Well it might just happen.

Offline Serdun

• Revenging Yar
  • Sup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2006, 06:23:47 pm »
How would it work, though?
Yes. Of course.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2006, 09:51:39 pm »
It would work the same way Spore works now except that you'd have tunnels (indicated perhaps with color tones underground) and you'd be designing on a much smaller scale.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2006, 05:26:10 am »
It would work the same way Spore works now except that you'd have tunnels (indicated perhaps with color tones underground) and you'd be designing on a much smaller scale.

Why would it have to be smaller?  Ever see Tremors?  I could imagine huge underground critters making large caverns for their pets to live in.

TheChaos7

« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2006, 10:55:32 am »
tremors 1 through 3 rocks!..pity the seris died..

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2006, 02:48:26 pm »
tremors 1 through 3 rocks!..pity the seris died..

Eh.  It was ok but nothing special.  Its not like it was given a decent time slot anyways.

TheChaos7

« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2006, 10:20:40 pm »
i recently got back into oddworld i love it. havent played strangers wrath though

i will make themed worlds in spore..includeing oddworld. zerg. halo. and someothers i just will not upload them

Offline Space Core

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2011, 05:45:20 pm »
I have made a spore Fuzzle and Glukkon. How do i put it on here? ???

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2011, 01:07:40 am »
A word of advice.  Check the last post date in threads when you want to say something.  If the last person to post anything did so in 2006, chances are you're necroposting.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net