Author Topic: The Hedgehog Topic  (Read 24340 times)

gec05

The Hedgehog Topic
« on: September 08, 2009, 10:59:33 pm »
I thought I'd put a topic solely for SEGA's self-absorbed Erinaceid mascot. More importantly though, as it has surfaced for time to time these past months. SEGA has (finally) come to reflect deeply on it's mascot's reputation (again).

Though much of what we've seen recently has been expressed by SEGA as a fresh new appeal to a newer generation. Now they wish to tap into the core audience's deepest desires. Now based on their track record in the past of attempting that, they obviously came to realize they cannot satisfy all demographics with a single game each year or so.

Until recently when SEGA released a teaser for "Project Needlemouse". Once again, I feel that SEGA is facing stronger pessimism than ever before. But SEGA does acknowledge everyone's dissent about the night time gameplay of Sonic Unleashed. In fact, SEGA promises this new one will be an even farther throw back to the old school formula than what the day time gameplay SU offered (which generally everyone loved about it). So does that sound even better?

Still, we'll have to see. But until then, I'm cautious about this.

Oh, and by the way. This is an all new Sonic game, not a retro-remake. Though a redeux of Sonic 3 & Knuckles would be sweet if this new one turns out good.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: The Hedgehog Topic
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 05:56:11 am »
The lack of quick and early responses to this is indicator enough about Sonic's reception on this forum.

You know what Sonic needs? He needs Sonic Team to start doing things right. Sonic Team has been trying to do everything better for at least the last... decade and they've failed to do it right. A huge help would be to embrace the notion in gaming nowadays that old is new. "A further throwback to the old school formula" sounds too ambiguous to be all-that meaningful. Tell us they're making a 2D Sonic game, that'll kick public opinion up a whole bunch. And really, yes there's some finesse when making a 2D game... but the Sonic formula (and Mario and others) isn't exactly rocket science.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 12:16:40 pm »
The closest thing to a sonic game in a while was N, so that's saying something.

The sad part is that even though Sonic Team can't get it right, the millions out there making fangames do.  I say they fire the entire team and hire a bunch of indie devs.  Most of them know how to do it right.

I digress though, although it wasn't truly a Sonic game I enjoyed Dark Brotherhood.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 05:20:20 pm »
To be honest, the old sonic games were never as good as the competition.

They are enduring because they had strong visuals and branding, but as a platform game, the Sonics were vastly inferior to the Mario worlds. Sure, sonic looked pretty and had the whole speed going for it, but the control was a lot more clunky and imprecise and there was never much going on with powerups and what have you.

I think its time Sega put sonic to bed for a while. maybe after ten years of no new sonic releases making all the fans jaded they will finally come to their senses and make a good game.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

gec05

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 05:26:56 pm »
I always felt the controls for the old Genesis Sonic games to be pretty solid. I don't know how you mash your buttons Sam. And I don't think the amount of powerups will make or break a game. The 3rd installment is a good example. Only had 3, but they were very useful getting through a level in different ways.

Heck, there's detail to it too.

The bubble shield had the benefit of breathing underwater. But it's secondary attack offers bounce which gives a slightly higher jump if executed at the zenith of a jump.

The static shield not only attracted rings, but gave a secondary jump for crossing large gaps or avoiding pitfalls when timed appropriately.

The fire shield not only protected from fire and lava, it also gives a horizontal attack for point-blank hits when attacking from above would prove fatal. It can also add as a quick dash.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 05:44:23 pm by Gec »

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 06:15:16 pm »
Jazz Jackrabbit is where it is at! A Green bunny sonic with guns >_>

Actually i like Jazz Jackrabbit and is a good game. Check it out.

And it would be fun to see Sonic return to form. One can do a lot with the speed formula i think.
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 06:45:41 pm »
Gec, you only listed the shields.  What about the star thing and the speed boosting shoes?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 07:43:26 pm »
I agree that the Sonic games were not as good as the competition (but I'm biased); however, I'd also argue that they didn't really need to be. They were different enough that they kind of stood out on their own, despite the advertising campaigns that beat us over the head with "Sonic is better than Mario". Still, the old Sonic games did offer a lot of exploration and (to me) had a much more arcade feel to them. I'm a sucker for arcade-style gaming. To me, Sonic was much easier to pick up and play and all of the extra optional material in the games made them that much better.

Chaos Emeralds and Hyper Emeralds? Yes please!

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 05:02:30 am »
It is not so odd that Segas Sonic games felt more arcade like. A lot of Segas base was the Arcades. And on top of that even Segas consoles where aimed at gamers but Nintendo have always tried to a rather wide audience. Even before Wii.
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 08:44:16 am »
Nah I totally agree with you, Yokto. Mario was the better game.

Offline Grazony

• Simon Belmont
  • I am not spying on you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 09:25:06 am »
Mario was always the better game to me. Sonic was just way to fast to dodge his enemies/walls/spikes/cliffs (how the hell do you dodge a cliff). Sonic had speed going for him an that was it. Nintendo had kick arse puzzles in all its games. Sonic you can only go forward. I tell what would be a fun Sonic game. One with no enemies, villians, stupid plots, useless characters, and everything else that made sonic stupid in the recent games. Just make it a large area like a rocky desert or something where you can go where ever you want at the speed Sonic is suppose to have and let him do weird trick and junk. You know like a skateboard/snowboard game only you can go where ever you want to like you want to run up the side of a mountain and do an untoled amount of backflips until he lands or something....... But hey that just my opinion.  :P

You'll never know why.
<_< ¯\[ ◕O ◕]/¯ >_>
Son, I have seen some unbelievable things in my time, but I have never seen a Texan with a robotic chainsaw fist kill a gun-slinging dinosaur by punching it in the head. ~The Soldier

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 11:32:33 am »
Well if you ask me. The evolution of Mario was more dramatic then the evolution of Sonic to. All the 2D sonic games are pretty much the same. But each Mario game add a lot of new ideas to the mix but still stays true to the core.

That being said i still think Sonic has potential. Sonic did have some good game after all and if they try to focus on what sonic is about i am sure they can not only make good games but also be able to evolve that aspect.
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 11:35:24 am »
Yeah, Sonic has lots of potential. In fact, it has so much potential it's a wonder Sonic Team hasn't been able to see it for the last decade. At least now it looks like they've finally realized that they don't have to try to reinvent the wheel (and FAIL) with each new Sonic game. All we want is to jump into the Arwing and shoot at Andross' minions, not run around on the ground with guns and rescue some stupid new character that we could care less abo-

Wait...

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 12:14:33 pm »
To be honest, the old sonic games were never as good as the competition

When Earthbound came out it wasn't as good as the competition, for example Chrono Trigger. That didn't make it a terrible game though. In fact is has one of the largest cult followings for a Nintendo game ever (but NoA still won't release Mother 3 :P).

My point is, don't compare games to the competition, just focus on the game itself.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 12:34:26 pm »
They can't reproduce the Mother games because they don't own any of the music in them.  I've been through that other places before.

As for the sonic games, I do like a few of the odd ones (like spinball) but for the most part, I can't see how making a 2D sonic would survive in this tech-heavy industry.  If they made it with 3d models like the one shown in Brawl, maybe.  However, I've personally always wanted one that stuck to SATam.  I don't think Sal has ever appeared in a single sonic game.