Author Topic: Psychonauts Review  (Read 1537 times)

Offline versatek

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Psychonauts Review
« on: December 27, 2005, 10:27:58 am »
This Christmas, I asked my family for an assortment of "the best games no-one played".  I only got one game, and it was psychonauts.  Now, I love a good platform action game.  I had always heard good things about psychonauts, but looking at the screenshots, and gameplay movies, made this game look kind of weak.  Well, in this game's case, you have to ignore the screenshots and gameplay demos.  The game is freakin' awesome!

The story: breifly, is that you are a kid at psychic summer camp with a bbunch of other kids who are training to be "psychonauts" (psychic secret agents).  In the first part of the game, you explore the campgrounds and get some basic and advanced training from the counselors.  You can also grab the hidden collectibles to "level up" as much or as little as you want to.  Soon the Kids start having their Brains removed/kidnapped and the real adventure begins.

Each of the levels take place either in the real world, or in somebody's brain.  Usually, in order to pass an area, you need to enter someone's brain, and fix their mental defect in order to get them to be sane enough to help you along your quest.  (I forgot to mention that the people you are possesing are all mental patients).  This is where the brilliance of the game comes into play.  Although the levels looks insanely abstract at first glance, they actually are very good at representing the mental state of mind of your victims.  I am constantly blown away by just how perfect the puzzles, and levels match the situations at hand. 

The writing, and voice acting are outstanding.  10 out of 10

The game can be difficult in places, but there is always a way you can get help from in-game characters if you feel you need it.  The boss battles are fun, and not too difficult.  There is always a puzzle invovled in defeating them.  I like that.

There are tons of treasures and hidden bonus items to collect. 

The artwork in some of the levels is simply breathtaking.  This does not come across in any of the screenshot you will see online.  The artwork is very stylized, and really needs to be seen in context to be appreciated.   

I don't want this game to end.

Regardless of my glowing review, this game is still a platformer, and if you don't like those kinds of games, you won't like this one either.  But if you do like Platformers, you really need to pick this one up.

Offline SurfMurph

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • My blog on MSN Spaces
Re: Psychonauts Review
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 08:59:14 am »
Hi Versatek,
Which console system did you play this on? Xbox or PS2? I see that it is now selling for $29.99 here in the U.S. I may have to pick this one up now. Thanks for the review,
Murph

Offline Pando

• Spy Hunter Spook
  • panda? yes please
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 09:07:36 am »
I got this game for $49.99 when it first came out. I had played the demo and I really liked it. OPM gave it good review and so did OXM. The game is really fun, but it gets quite hard towards the end, or at least that's what I thought. If you haven't played this game you should at least rent it.

Offline versatek

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 09:18:12 am »
I am playing it on the Xbox, but it is not a very advanced game graphically, so I don't think it matters which system you play it on.  The artwork is great, but it does not require a lot of horsepower I think.