Author Topic: MMO Monthly Fees. A short Essay  (Read 2341 times)

Offline versatek

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
MMO Monthly Fees. A short Essay
« on: November 22, 2005, 10:10:06 am »
I see a common thread when people talk about MMOs where they say, 'I don't want to pay $15 a month for a game."  I am not here to tell those people they are wrong, it IS a lot of money over time.  I just wanted to explain how that $15 a month fits into my life.

I always stayed away from games like everquest etc.. because of the monthly fee and the sheer level of dorkiness associated with it.  But I decided to pick up city of heroes one day, just out of curiosity.  I figured I'd play the free month, then decide whether or not to keep it.  I loved it so much I kept it.

Before City of Heroes infected me, I would spend $100 a month on games easily.  After I started playing CoH, I stopped going to the movies, and stopped buying new console and pc games entirely for about a year.  So now my monthly entertainment budget had shrunk from $100 a month, to $15.  That is an excellent example of why monthly fees aren't necessarily so bad in my case. 

Of course, if you still plan on buying new games frequently, a monthly fee would be the kiss of death to your bankroll.

Most games give you 10-30 hours of playtime before you are done with them.  If you get into an MMO that you like, it can occupy you for months and months.  Now that's value!  Of course, That only works if you find one you like, and there aren't too many to choose from right now.

Please don't take this as some kind of soapbox rant where I am trying to convince everyone to play MMOs.  I'm not, I just thought I'd share my experience with you, and how the $15 a month actually saved me money.

--Steve

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
Re: MMO Monthly Fees. A short Essay
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 11:41:07 am »
Before I picked up WoW, I was very weary of the montly fee. The concept of 'pay2play' was new to me at the time, but now I dont even think about, it goes straight on my Visa and I have no problems with paying it off.
However, I would prefer to only have one 'pay2play' game at a time, Im not to keen on paying for 2 games.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 11:43:39 am »
I've held out on paying fees for a while but I mangaed to justify buying city of villains to myself: The game itself costs about 20 less than other games therefore It will take three months for me to have paid the 'full' price for this game (including free month). Most games I buy I dont play regularly for more than three months so for three months City of Villains will be subscription fee free (in my mind) and I trust myself not to get hooked on it and continue playing it after three months :D I'll probably buy it around christmas time, itll tide me through the post seasonal games drought.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Mezorin

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 11:58:52 am »
The other advantage of a pay to play MMO is the devs will use that money to continue development on the game.  Some companies don't really do this (*cough cough* SOE *cough cough*), but both WoW and CoH are exceptional for new content with both games regularly being patched for bugs, content, balance, and quality of life fixes.  As Steve said, CoH has doubled since its launch, and I would imagine WoW has had a lot of end game raid instances, armor, gear, and even the battle grounds as new content for free.  For the price of what it'd cost to blow through a game every two weeks, 15 bucks a month isn't a whole lot to pay.

Another thing I will mention is the tolerance for cheaters.  I'll cite PlanetSide (an MMOFPS) verses Counter Strike as an example.  I will give SOE credit for one thing: they didn't have any tolerance for cheating bull crap in their game.  So cheaters were *very* rare.  Everyone here who has played Counter Strike can tell you at least one story of an aim bot/wall hack player who could shoot you through the ceiling, and other feats of super human ability that are not phyiscally possible from a player.  Players that tried that in PlanetSide would find their BR 20 characters flushed down the toilet if they got busted, and if you aim botted/wall hacked/etc you'd leave behind a trail of players /petition ing you.  The SOE crew may not have the means to detect every single hack in the game, but all it would take is enough people petitioning someone as a cheater and an SOE employee to view the action for a while to see if the guy is hacking or not.

That quality of anti cheat monitoring you just will not find on most other "free to play online" server games.

Of course that must have been the only thing SOE used that 13 dollars for, as PS basically has been in maintenance money farm mode since a year ago, but that's another topic...

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 02:04:10 pm »
Well, monthly fees do turn me off, as I dont believe its worth its price, but I dont think that this stops most people from playing them.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 02:43:55 pm »
I stay away from MMOs for the monthly price too. I look at it like this: I have 2 games in front of me. Both of them will cost me 50 dollars. One of them, I can play as long as I want and I won't be charged. The other, I have to pay more every month. Which will I choose?

I would definitely try out some MMOs if they were free to start, which is how I got into *sigh* Runescape. It's a crappy MMO, but it has a lot of people willing to pay 5 bucks a month because the were hooked on the FREE version.

I will say this to MMO companies: Let me pick it up for free. If it's a good game, you got yourself another $15 a month for the next year.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Psilontech

• Mystery House Madman
  • SCIENCE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 03:36:06 pm »
Seriously.

If I'm going to be paying 15 bucks a month, I don't want to pay the initial 50.

Oh, and 2 games a month? Jesus man, just get civilization 2 a play it for a few months ;)  the-underdogs.org is your friend ;)

The only mmo I'm even considering paying a monthly fee for is Startrek: Online.

Otherwise I'll just stick to my MUDs, thank you very much :D
"Whatever Febreeze can't fix, a gun will"

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 03:45:28 pm »
Yea, ever since I started playing WOW, I started to care less about the console games for some reason... /drool
I'm on a highway to hell.