Author Topic: Cladogram and Common Descent  (Read 32188 times)

werechicken

Re: Cladogram
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2006, 06:40:28 am »
I had to learn that ****ing thing in very high levels of detail to pass a zoology module once, but, It is interesting where somethings are relatie to where you think they should be

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2006, 06:51:32 am »
yes!  for example very few people are aware that the common pond frog is very closely related to the jelly filled donut.  One tastes much better of course, but I'm not telling you which one.

werechicken

« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2006, 06:53:39 am »
Or that peodophile share more genes with crabs than humans...

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2006, 02:22:27 pm »
i just want everything catagorised by name, so if i wanna upload the Lixi and put my empire under there control because they own, i can type in Lixi and find them, or if i wanna download the Nauceans so i can blow them to hell i just type it in and find em.

Why are you so obessed with my Nauceans?

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2006, 02:24:35 pm »
i just want everything catagorised by name, so if i wanna upload the Lixi and put my empire under there control because they own, i can type in Lixi and find them, or if i wanna download the Nauceans so i can blow them to hell i just type it in and find em.

Why are you so obessed with my Nauceans?

Most people are.
theyre famouse, now, at least in this comunity.
and, by catcher-in-the-rye logic, or at least how cirtain people 'understand' it, famouse things must die.

Offline cptrootbeer

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2006, 02:25:21 pm »
Shouldn't this forum be a little more family friendly?  (Please don't make a joke about that)

Offline arithegreat

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Happy Metrod!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2006, 02:29:27 pm »
Shouldn't this forum be a little more family friendly? (Please don't make a joke about that)
It's really not that bad...
"Monkeys SHALL meet buglike creatures with flamethrowers, I assure you" - Sadisticfaction

Offline SpecialBrownies

• Donkey Kong King
  • They look so special!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2006, 02:37:46 pm »
They should make a gigantic Cladogram with every creature from Spore that they have categorised so it looks like a correct Cladogram, even though they aren't actually related. And then you can scroll around it in game.

But that would either take a lot of people all the time, or a quite complicated program.
"If you put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room with computers, they would code Spore."

-SpecialBrownies

Offline eskay

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2006, 03:16:21 pm »
It would be interesting to browse though. :)

I think we're forgetting something though.  In the real world, species that have common characteristics or look sort of the same aren't always related as closely as it seems they should be.  So categorizing creatures based just on their appearances isn't quite....right?

Mind you, I doubt that really matters.  You'd have to be careful though, to make something that seems "right" to the human viewer.  I mean, if you  have 2 six legged things with long snouts, but one has scales and the other huge feathers, I think they'd be less related than the computer might categorize them.

Then again, it's all sort of a moot point anyways.  If they game says two creatures share genes, who are we to argue?  ;D

werechicken

« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2006, 03:21:36 pm »
Actually a modern Cladogram is based on genetic similarites, i suppose the players could just make their own up, all you have to do is keep making different creatures from the same common ancestor.

Offline eskay

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2006, 03:28:40 pm »
I assume the player could go back and make stuff from a common ancestor, but would the computer necessarily be doing the same thing?  I assumed that the population of the worlds was from ready-made species at different evolutionary levels.  If you just stuck to species that were "genetically" related, most of them would be only one species, since the player might not go back and do the tinkering?  Unless the computer does it's own messing around and evolving things (which I doubt, although that would be interesting).

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2006, 05:26:17 pm »
I assume the player could go back and make stuff from a common ancestor, but would the computer necessarily be doing the same thing?

As far as we know you can't go back to prior evolutions of the game.

I assumed that the population of the worlds was from ready-made species at different evolutionary levels. If you just stuck to species that were "genetically" related, most of them would be only one species, since the player might not go back and do the tinkering?

Related just means how they look.  You can have a lot of different species that all look similar why do they need to be from the same original critter to work from?

Unless the computer does it's own messing around and evolving things (which I doubt, although that would be interesting).

WW said the computer might try that but they don't know for sure yet if it will be implemented.  Personally, I don't see the need.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Kashmir

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
Creature Family Tree
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2006, 08:14:06 pm »
I kind of thought of this when I was just randomly thinking about spore which I do frequently because it looks so awesome, anyway:  I played Roller Coaster Tycoon when I was younger and one of my favorite things to do when I got bored would be to click on a person just entering the park, see how much money they had and what they're nausea tolerance level was and everything and then try and guess what rides they'd go on and stuff and then change they're name from "Guest 999" to a real name then at random points in the game check up on them and see what they were riding and such.

Anyway I think it would really neat if in spore one could find a random creature and name it and follow it through the game and such.  It would also be quite neat if you could find a prominent member (e.g. war hero)  of your tribe or city and then be able to find its children or grandchildren later and just see what they were like, if they share any of the traits of their grandparent.  This would be especially neat when you got to the UFO stage because you could come back to your city thousands of years later and see if there are still any descendats of your creature.  Does anyone else think this would be a neat idea?

Offline vbGamer

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Family Tree
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2006, 08:16:38 pm »
It's been brought up a few times before, too (in different forms). I wonder if that will be in the sporipedia.

werechicken

Re: Creature Family Tree
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2006, 09:30:26 pm »
Indeed it has been brough up any time in many threads, if you use the search button you can find out which ones