Author Topic: What's Philosophy Do You Follow? (Quiz)  (Read 86234 times)

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
Re: What's Philosophy Do You Follow? (Quiz)
« Reply #345 on: June 09, 2011, 05:33:05 am »
I've had some time to sleep on in it, and I think I'd be better off explaining my views before I get to debunking yours.

Basically I'm starting from the presumption of monistic physicalism, as in, the mind and brain are a single entity, which is a physical entity. This leads directly to functionalism, i.e states of consciousness and experiences are physical processes in the brain, because there isn't anything else they could be. It doesn't say that outside influences (i.e. sensory information) can't effect these states, as they obviously can. As for your criticism here, Josasa:

Of the choices listed in that survey, functionalism is one of the few ideas that has been refuted with studies. The very fact that the mind exists and can alter the brain through neuroplasicity raises several problems in the core theories that represent functionalism.

Neuroplasticity doesn't refute functionalism at all; the fact that the way we think about things now can change the way we think about them in the future, is just an example of a positive feedback effect reinforcing structure in the brain.

Also, what are these studies?

I do apologize, as I do not like ad hominem attacks. But in your case, you have consistently failed to read my posts or understand them. I have had to divert time and effort trying to explain my point whereas others have understood the message I was trying to illustrate.

It's not a case of me not reading, or not understanding, your posts; it's a case of me disagreeing with you.

My main argument with all of this is that; whatever you want to say about consciousness, it'd be much clearer without all the Buddhism, and can be explained much better by modern science anyway. For instance the only really coherent thing to come out of your discussion of it is something along the lines of "sensory information effects consciousness", not that anyone said it didn't, or that this is unique to Buddhist philosophy.  What is unique to Buddhism on the other hand is a lot of unsupported metaphysical claims that run contrary to modern physics, the main offender being the whole rebirth thing (which i linked earlier), hence, "woo and nonsense". Perhaps when i mentioned that the wikipedia article didn't say anything about consciousness, i should have added "of value" after the nothing, because that's what I meant.

What this reminds me of is people claiming the Koran contains specific scientific information.

Finally I'd like to cover these two paragraphs:
I'm still really up in the air about this. I've read several religious texts on Buddhism which actually coincide with recent studies in the psychology of humans that actually suggest the mind has the ability to change the brain itself (see neuroplasticity). This essentially eliminates the possibility of any dualism being correct, simply because it is not a 'one-way' causation that psychologists and neurologists have believed to be true for the past one hundred years or so (basically, that the brain creates the mind, but that the mind has no effect on the brain).

The Mind and the Brain by Jeffrey Schwartz was a very interesting read (and where the place where I learned most of the stuff I know on this topic) and I recommend it to anyone that wishes to further pursue this area of study. One of the interesting points that it brought up was that for the past several decades, scientists and the like have been trying to describe the actions of the brain using Newtonian physics, when that simply doesn't work. Quantum theory, and further study in the area, is necessary before we can even start to comprehend the complex reactions that occur in the brain.

In the first paragraph, you seem to be both suggesting dualism, and denying it at the same time, i don't know if you've got your definitions mixed up or something. By inferring that the mind effects the brain, you're drawing a distinction between the two, now the mind would presumably have to be something physical or it wouldn't be able to interact with the physical brain, so what are you suggesting this something is?

Other people have sort of already addressed the second paragraph, but I'm going to go over it anyway. First off, you cite a book written by a psychologist, that discusses quantum theory. Secondly, you infer we can't explain the processes in the mind without quantum physics, (nevermind "we can't with Newtonian physics", you might of realised that science has moved on a lot since the 16th century), it turns out we can.

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 09, 2011, 05:44:02 am »
...as in, the mind and brain are a single entity, which is a physical entity. This leads directly to functionalism, i.e states of consciousness and experiences are physical processes in the brain, because there isn't anything else they could be. It doesn't say that outside influences (i.e. sensory information) can't effect these states, as they obviously can.

Might be easier just to say the mind and nervous system are a single entity. The effect of outside influences is now implied.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Great Distance

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 16, 2011, 12:12:47 pm »
85%  Existentialism 
70% Hedonism 
70% Strong Egoism 
65% Nihilism 
60%  Apathy 
55%  Kantianism 
50%  Justice (Fairness) 
50%  Utilitarianism 
15% Divine Command 

90% Strong Egoism +20%
70% Existentialism -15%
60% Justice (Fairness) +10%
60% Kantianism +5%
55% Hedonism -15%
50% Apathy -10%
45% Nihilism -20%
40% Utilitarianism -10%
10% Divine Command -5%

Well, entering university has been a pretty big turning point in my life, but it hasn't stopped me from finding meaning in arbitrary tests, so I thought I'd do this again.

90% Existentialism +20%   
70% Kantianism +10%   
55% Utilitarianism +15%   
40% Hedonism -15%   
40% Justice (Fairness) -20%
35% Strong Egoism -55%   
25% Apathy -25%   
25% Nihilism -20%   
20% Divine Command +10%   

Existentialism is back to top and Kantianism is still on the rise. Utilitarianism's back up just as justice takes a plunge downwards. Strong egoism has lost its charm and apathy keeps losing ground along with nihilism. Gods are doing a little bit better than before.

I'm still not entirely sure what all these philosophies entail, but right now I'd say life has some meaning that can be determined by logic. Everyone should choose the path that is right for them. It makes me happy to see people working in a career they enjoy. Enjoying life is important, but it should be done by virtue and doing things that you are good at. I also feel good doing nice things for people and not just for myself. Even bad people don't deserve all the bad things they get. Also having a higher set of rules to follow is good for some people.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 16, 2011, 12:43:11 pm »
Entering university shook up your results, but finishing university just made me even more hedonistic and utilitarian than last time.

Hedonism    80% +5%
Utilitarianism    65% +15%
Existentialism    60% +20%
Kantianism    55% +20%
Justice (Fairness)    35% +/-0%
Apathy    30% +15%
Strong Egoism    30% -10%
Nihilism    25% +/-0%
Divine Command    0% +/-0%

To be fair, these tests probably reflect how you're feeling on that day more than any long-term changes in outlook.

One cute thing I noticed about the results on the front page is that none of the hedonists are American, but as far as I know all of the divine commands are. Get your priorities straight, lads!
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 16, 2011, 12:49:36 pm »
What a European might look like:

Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Brandonazz

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #350 on: November 16, 2011, 01:04:44 pm »
Aren't the egoists all American too?

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 16, 2011, 01:11:41 pm »
Existentialism    100%
Nihilism    85%
Strong Egoism    75%
Kantianism    75%
Hedonism    70%
Justice (Fairness)    50%
Utilitarianism    45%
Apathy    20%
Divine Command    20%
Existentialism    100% +/-0
Utilitarianism    85% +40%
Hedonism    75% +5%
Justice (Fairness)    70% +20%
Apathy    55% +35%
Strong Egoism    55% -20%
Kantianism    55% -20%
Nihilism    50% -35%
Divine Command    30% +10%
Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 16, 2011, 01:42:18 pm »
Well, here's mine. I am divine command and justice.

You Scored as Divine Command
Your life is directed by <b>Divine Command</b>: Your god and religion give you meaning and direction. Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations.” --King James Version of the Bible

Divine Command 
 90%
Justice (Fairness) 
 75%
Apathy 
 75%
Hedonism 
 70%
Kantianism 
 70%
Utilitarianism 
 50%
Existentialism 
 35%
Strong Egoism 
 30%
Nihilism 
 5%

You Scored as a : Divine Command Divine Command 90% Justice (Fairness) 75% Apathy 75% Hedonism 70% Kantianism 70% Utilitarianism 50% Existentialism 35% Strong Egoism 30% Nihilism 5%

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 16, 2011, 02:42:37 pm »
Woo, I'm not the only Divine Commander here!
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 16, 2011, 05:16:22 pm »
You Scored as Hedonism

Your life is guided by the principles of Hedonism: You believe that pleasure is a great, or the greatest, good; and you try to enjoy life’s pleasures as much as you can.

“Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die!”

Hedonism    
   100%
Strong Egoism    
   95%
Nihilism    
   80%
Apathy    
   80%
Kantianism    
   75%
Justice (Fairness)    
   70%
Existentialism    
   65%
Utilitarianism    
   30%
Divine Command    
   0%

Hedonism   
100%
Strong Egoism   
95%
Existentialism   
70%
Nihilism   
70%
Apathy   
65%
Utilitarianism   
55%
Justice (Fairness)   
40%
Divine Command   
30%
Kantianism   
15%

Didn't change much.
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Rysworld

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 16, 2011, 05:22:04 pm »
I really should be doing homework right now instead of browsing Gamingste- OOH A QUIZ I TOOK A WHILE AGO LET'S DO IT AGAIN

You Scored as Existentialism
Your life is guided by the concept of Existentialism: You choose the meaning and purpose of your life.

“Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.”

“It is up to you to give [life] a meaning.” --Jean-Paul Sartre

“It is man's natural sickness to believe that he possesses the Truth.” --Blaise Pascal

Existentialism    95%
Hedonism            65%
Justice (Fairness)    65%
Utilitarianism    60%
Apathy            45%
Nihilism            45%
Kantianism            40%
Strong Egoism    35%
Divine Command    15%

Offline Oviraptor

• Shinobi Ninja
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #356 on: November 16, 2011, 11:05:56 pm »
FUN FACT

Blaise Pascal and I share a birthday. Also Garfield. And Paula Abdul...

And, meh, don't feel like taking this again, assuming I took it a first time.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 20, 2013, 05:07:13 pm »
So it has been quite some time since I made this test and seeing how there have been some massive changes to my life since then, I thought it'd be interesting to see my philosophy also changed during that time.

70% Hedonism       
70% Justice (Fairness)
65% Apathy
60% Kantianism
50% Nihilism
50% Utilitarianism
45% Strong Egoism
35% Existentialism
0%  Divine Command
75% Justice (Fairness) +5%
75% Kantianism +15%
70% Hedonism +0%
60% Existentialism +25%
55% Apathy -10%
55% Nihilism +5%
50% Utilitarianism +0%
20% Strong Egoism -25%
0% Divine Command +0%

The most interesting changes is the rise in existentialism and decline of egoism. I guess having to think of my immediate future now that I will have to apply for a real job in about a year and a half, makes me think more about making my own path, which also seems to reduce my Apathy a bit.

I can't really explain the egoism part, but if I had to guess, it's mainly because we're working in teams all the time, so it makes you more aware that others depend on you and you on them, if you like it or not.

Also, I want to point out that I am one of the people with the fewest egoism points. I score that off as a personal success.

90% Hedonism +20%
75% Kantianism +0%
70% Utilitarianism +20%
65% Justice (Fairness) -10%
55% Nihilism +0%
45% Existentialism -15%
40% Apathy -15%
35% Strong Egoism +15%
0% Divine Command +0%

In retrospect I can't say I'm too surprised about the changes. Many of them make sense when I think about how my life changed over the last two years, especially the rise in Utilitarianism and (ironically) Egoism. I also find it cute how Apathy goes down every time I take the test. Maybe I should take it more often. :9
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 20, 2013, 05:48:27 pm »
You Scored as Hedonism

Your life is guided by the principles of Hedonism: You believe that pleasure is a great, or the greatest, good; and you try to enjoy life’s pleasures as much as you can.

“Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die!”

Hedonism    
   100%
Strong Egoism    
   95%
Nihilism    
   80%
Apathy    
   80%
Kantianism    
   75%
Justice (Fairness)    
   70%
Existentialism    
   65%
Utilitarianism    
   30%
Divine Command    
   0%

Hedonism   
100%
Strong Egoism   
95%
Existentialism   
70% +5%
Nihilism   
70% -10%
Apathy   
65% -15%
Utilitarianism   
55% +20%
Justice (Fairness)   
40% -30%
Divine Command   
30% +30%
Kantianism   
15% -60%

Didn't change much.

Hedonism   
100%
Utilitarianism   
85% +30%
Justice (Fairness)   
80% +40%
Nihilism   
80% +10%
Kantianism   
80%  +65%
Existentialism   
60% -10%
Apathy   
50% -15%
Strong Egoism   
45% -50%
Divine Command   
0% -30%

Good to see how these things play out. Thanks for the resurrection Flisch~
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Brandonazz

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #359 on: October 20, 2013, 07:36:25 pm »
I would take this again but don't care enough, so assume my apathy score went up.