Author Topic: What's Philosophy Do You Follow? (Quiz)  (Read 86234 times)

Offline Brandonazz

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
Re: What's Philosophy Do You Follow? (Quiz)
« Reply #210 on: May 04, 2011, 12:55:04 pm »
Yeah, that was my response to that little blurb too.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 04, 2011, 01:09:46 pm »
"Your choices are consistent with the view that the continuity of the soul is essential for personal survival. Your first two choices showed a desire to keep your physical body alive. Yet your last choice showed a willingness to jettison this physical body in order to save your soul. So presumably, you only valued the continued existence of your body because you thought it housed the soul."

The last question was kind of weird, the soul and reincarnation are two separate issues.  And their idea of a soul is weird, too.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 04, 2011, 01:56:35 pm »
You chose:
Round 1: Take me to the teletransporter!
Round 2: I'll take the silicon!
Round 3: Freeze me!

Your choices are consistent with the theory known as psychological reductionism. On this view, all that is required for the continued existence of the self is psychological continuity. Your three choices show that this is what you see as central to your sense of self, not any attachment to a particular substance, be it your body, brain or soul.

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 04, 2011, 01:59:20 pm »

You chose:
Round 1: It's the spaceship for me!
Round 2: Let the virus do its worst!

There are basically three kinds of things which could be required for the continued existence of your self. One is bodily continuity, which actually may require only parts of the body to stay in existence (e.g., the brain). Another is psychological continuity, which requires, for the continued existence of the self, the continuance of your consciousness, by which is meant your thoughts, ideas, memories, plans, beliefs and so on. And the third possibility is the continued existence of some kind of immaterial part of you, which might be called the soul. It may, of course, be the case that a combination of one or more types of these continuity is required for you to survive.
   Your choices are consistent with the view that bodily continuity is necessary for personal survival. You risk death on the spaceship, allow your mind to be messed around with by the virus and allow your soul to be destroyed so that your body (or at least your brain in a body) can have a chance of staying in existence. And it does!
   But is this survival of you? Is it enough for your body to continue to exist if your personality, wishes, beliefs, desires and memories do not? Remember, opting to suffer the consequences of the virus means that now you have no memories of the person you were when you stepped into the teletransporter. So is the self really no more than a particular animal body? Many think it is, but many others think that without some kind of psychological continuity, the self cannot survive as a body alone.

Not the best of experiments, i was actually going more for the psycological continuity.

I also figured the virus would leave me more of myself than a synthetic representation of my former mind.

Also related to this i've got a question, would rebooting a mind, like you would a computer, effectively have the same effect as the teletransporter?

Offline Rysworld

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 04, 2011, 03:23:51 pm »
Round 1: Take me to the teletransporter!
Round 2: I'll take the silicon!

Your choices are consistent with the theory known as psychological reductionism. On this view, all that is required for the continued existence of the self is psychological continuity.
Same as most.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 04, 2011, 03:53:27 pm »
You chose:
Round 1: It's the spaceship for me!
Round 2: Let the virus do its worst!

There are basically three kinds of things which could be required for the continued existence of your self. One is bodily continuity, which actually may require only parts of the body to stay in existence (e.g., the brain). Another is psychological continuity, which requires, for the continued existence of the self, the continuance of your consciousness, by which is meant your thoughts, ideas, memories, plans, beliefs and so on. And the third possibility is the continued existence of some kind of immaterial part of you, which might be called the soul. It may, of course, be the case that a combination of one or more types of these continuity is required for you to survive.

Your choices are consistent with the view that bodily continuity is necessary for personal survival. You risk death on the spaceship, allow your mind to be messed around with by the virus and allow your soul to be destroyed so that your body (or at least your brain in a body) can have a chance of staying in existence. And it does!

But is this survival of you? Is it enough for your body to continue to exist if your personality, wishes, beliefs, desires and memories do not? Remember, opting to suffer the consequences of the virus means that now you have no memories of the person you were when you stepped into the teletransporter. So is the self really no more than a particular animal body? Many think it is, but many others think that without some kind of psychological continuity, the self cannot survive as a body alone.

... this makes no sense to me at all.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 04:37:42 pm by Badger Man 22 »
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 04, 2011, 06:22:58 pm »
Thats what I got too.

According to the writeup I apparently should have taken the teleporter instead of the spaceship at the start, but that seems to be ignoring the idea that continuity is important. With the teleporter there is a very high chance that the 'me' which goes in one end instantly dies, that is to say, that I personally am not the fortunate transporter clone which wakes up brand new with a lifetime of memories.

Same thing here.

Haven't we talked about teleporter continuity here before? I remember the subject coming up once.

Honestly, I'm surprised how many people went for it. As I recall there was only one guy who figured that an exact copy had a magical hivemind with the original last time, but now there's a few people who think quantum maaaaagic will keep them alive after they throw themselves into the disintegrator.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 04, 2011, 06:28:35 pm »
One thing I've always wondered.

If you straight up replace your brain with another copy, made of different materials (silicon instead of carbon, machine instead of organic), even if it had the exact same data, it obviously wouldn't be you.

But if, instead of a one-second you're organic, next you're machine, what if it was a gradual process? What if one neural connection at a time was changed? Would it be you in the end?

To up the ante, what if you were awake in the process? If there is some sort of change, if at one second in the process you are you, and the next you're a copy, would you feel that change? Or would being awake negate that change?

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 04, 2011, 06:42:18 pm »
That's exactly how I think I would do it too, DZ.

There are short animations on YouTube of nanobots which engulf nerve cells, reproduce their current state, take over the connections with other cells, and then kill the biological cell.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 04, 2011, 06:42:19 pm »
Yeah, that's psychological continuity. If you replace parts gradually then you've just changed the consciousness you had to begin with, not killed it and made a new one. Brain cells replace themselves naturally anyway, just slowly.

Presumably they'd replicate a subsection of your brain, then remove it and implant the new one, so when you wake up from the operation the rest of your brain wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Things only get tricky when they start replacing parts of your brain that you really can't survive without.

Unless you do it one neuron at a time like Alwayswatching mentioned, I guess.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 06:43:58 pm by /lurk »
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 04, 2011, 06:46:54 pm »
I'd want to do it gradually too. In fact, unless I'm going to die within 5 days, I'd want to do it as gradually as possible, to eliminate the possibility as best as we can of discontinuity. And even if it'd be painful, I'd want to be awake, to be SURE in my mind.

Offline Rysworld

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 04, 2011, 06:54:05 pm »
Well obviously you wouldn't notice, and if your appearances don't change then no=one else would notice either. This makes "you" functionally indistinguishable from the original. Why wouldn't it be you? You would have the same memories, the same fears, everything that matters for a human being to remain himself. (Unless, of course, you subscribe to the concept of a soul or somesuch, but I do not.) You would even likely have the same reactions to external stimuli.

I personally think it would still be "you", as much as you right now is "you".

Think of it like this. There are two robots. They respond to stimuli the same way, they share memories wireless communication. You turn both off, and replace one of the robots with another. Anyone who interacts with the robot(s) isn't going to notice the difference. The robots aren't going to notice the difference. So why aren't they the same robot?  Why are they?

And what makes the two processes different? Is it the interaction between the "normal" and the artificial cells? If not, then there is no difference that I can see. Unless you had one in mind that I overlooked?

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 04, 2011, 07:13:21 pm »
I never said it was rational, as much as I like to be.

But if I DIDN'T take the precautions, if I just replaced my mind whole with another, I'd always have the niggling doubt that I am who I think I am.

Or to make it easier to see...

He would always have a niggling doubt that he is me.

That sounds less eloquent than I would like, but it gets the idea across (hopefully), no matter how quick and dirty.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 07:15:20 pm by Doctor Z »

Offline Rysworld

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 04, 2011, 08:08:05 pm »
I see what you mean- I don't think it's possible to not have uncertainty (My mind is failing to come up with a better and more existent word) when youy mind is about to be replaced with a machine.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 06:25:28 am by rysworld »

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 04, 2011, 10:27:57 pm »
*uncertainty

Rys you were so close I facepalmed.
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.