Poll

Syria?

Yes
6 (23.1%)
No
20 (76.9%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Politics  (Read 452919 times)

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
Re: Politics
« Reply #5640 on: April 18, 2017, 09:34:42 am »
I feel like I'd be pissed off if an election was called.

Man I gotta do THIS CRAP now? :P

LOOK FORWARD TO IT NERD #IMPEACHTRUMP #BLACKLIVESMATTER #HILARYGOTMOREVOTES #RUSSIANSRIGGEDTHEELECTION
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5641 on: April 18, 2017, 09:35:51 am »
Right but on the other hand because of your scheduel the process lasts 2 years where here we're getting it over and done with in less than 2 months.

I don't see what elections in the United States have to do with my point, I wasn't comparing anything. I just don't like surprise events that require me to leave the house.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5642 on: April 18, 2017, 10:19:06 am »
The politician 21 posted is... Alex Salmond?  He looks like a baby doll where one of the eyes has gone off balance and stays shut.

One of the weirdest things to me about Parliamentary systems, maybe just governments other than the US, is how you'll call elections whenever you feel like it instead of them being on a set schedule.

Normally in countries there are on a set scedual. Generally just dictatorships where they actually pick the date wherever they feel like it. That being said is not that uncommon that if government do not have enough support that there are rules for how to start a early election. Sometimes this sets up a new election cycle. But sometimes it is just a contamination of that election cycle. And sometimes it the government it self that can ask for election. Sometimes is though popular demand (though petition lists). There lot of different systems like that. But generally there quite orderly. Here in Sweden for example there may be a automatic new election if the executive branch can not get enough support from the legislative branch. That will mean that all the seats for the legislative branch is up for grabs again.

Question I got in return is what would happen if the President and Vice President decides that there not able to do there job due to lack of support and step down? Will the Speaker of the House just continue on that term?
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5643 on: April 18, 2017, 10:20:07 am »
"We propose a vote of 'no confidence' on ourselves."

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5644 on: April 18, 2017, 01:20:18 pm »
To answer your question, what you described is what is written into law, yes. A cursory search suggests that the succession hasn't ever reached past the VP before, though.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5645 on: April 18, 2017, 02:44:08 pm »
Yeah I know of the succession order. But I was wondering more in the case where the President does not feel he has enough support and resigns due to that. But well. I guess that has never happed. I mean a lot of times the President have very little support (be it popular or in the congress) and yet he still stays. I guess is a bit due to how the system is meant to work to. That each branch check each other so it considered normal for the executive branch to be in conflict with the legislative branch. Something that for example in Sweden is considered rare and a odd occurence.

(And no that does not mean executive branch can hijack the political system by passing whatever laws they want. Laws that are governed in the Swedish equivalent to the constitution (The four fundamental laws) can only be changed after approve by the legislative branch after two successive term. That way if the population do not want the change they can block it by simply voting for politicians that wont support any amendment to the laws.)
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5646 on: April 18, 2017, 03:44:56 pm »
Oh my bad. Still, I believe the same law applies. The wording is "In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation" in the relevant Amendment (XXV), which you can find here by scrolling down a bit. I suppose it doesn't list specific requirements for the Vice President? It's an interesting question.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5647 on: April 18, 2017, 08:34:42 pm »
This dip**** country is going to vote in the largest Tory majority the world has ever seen and there is **** all anyone can do about it.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Inkling

• Strider Hiryu
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: April 18, 2017, 09:17:10 pm »
That's not really the American political mindset, Yokto.  If the Legislative and Executive branches can't get along they just yell at each other, they don't willingly give up office.  Stepping down just because you aren't getting anything done would be an utterly foreign concept.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #5649 on: April 19, 2017, 02:50:38 am »
This dip**** country is going to vote in the largest Tory majority the world has ever seen and there is **** all anyone can do about it.

I think the Tories stand a very high chance of winning, but I don't think they stand a high chance of winning a big majority. Remember, for this stunt to work they need to increase their majority, and I think they're going to start haemorraging votes in all directions.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5650 on: April 19, 2017, 03:21:29 am »

I think the Tories stand a very high chance of winning, but I don't think they stand a high chance of winning a big majority. Remember, for this stunt to work they need to increase their majority, and I think they're going to start haemorraging votes in all directions.

The election will be a referendum on Corbyn and Scottish Independence, neither of which are popular in England where the Tories will be the most competitive. Most polling over the last few months has been a landslide for the Tories, and seeing as polls tend to lean left God only knows what hell is awaiting us on election night.

I'm tired of this country and the ugly, petty people that live here. We're heading towards a one-party nationalist state and most people are ok with that. This must be how it feels to be Russian.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5651 on: April 19, 2017, 03:39:32 am »
The Mail's front page was disgusting this morning. I hate that my mum supports it by buying the rag (and The Sun), even if she's on some level aware how terrible they both are.

I'm just glad my constituency is a three-way race for Labour, Lib-Dems and Green (Tories didn't even get 10k votes last election). It means my lefty artist friends can snipe at each other about Corbyn, Farron and Bennett (??) for the next month and a half.

I'm also interested to see how the local elections in May are spun.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5652 on: April 19, 2017, 03:47:17 am »
I'm tired of this country and the ugly, petty people that live here. We're heading towards a one-party nationalist state and most people are ok with that. This must be how it feels to be Russian.

I still don't get why Russians and Americans can't be friends. We are almost exactly the same.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #5653 on: April 19, 2017, 04:05:15 am »
We're heading towards a one-party nationalist state and most people are ok with that. This must be how it feels to be Russian.

Why wouldn't we be OK with it, the SNP are pretty goo- oh wait England lmao.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5654 on: April 19, 2017, 04:06:54 am »
We're heading towards a one-party nationalist state and most people are ok with that. This must be how it feels to be Russian.

Why wouldn't we be OK with it, the SNP are pretty goo- oh wait England lmao.

I've said it before, but I would vote SNP if they ran in the south.