Author Topic: (PSP) Field Commander Review: Go get it now.  (Read 3021 times)

Offline h20

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
(PSP) Field Commander Review: Go get it now.
« on: May 19, 2006, 07:40:57 pm »
http://psp.ign.com/articles/709/709489p1.html

They had nothing but nice things to say about the game, im definetely picking it up on release day.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
Re: (PSP) Field Commander Review: Go get it now.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 10:41:14 am »
Then I can play you online... right?  ???

Let me have it for a few days so I can get good learn the controls , then I'll play you  ;D

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 11:31:54 am »
I have never trusted IGN, but still. They might be right on this one.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 10:45:00 am »
I've heard good things as well. But I have Advance Wars: Dual Strike, so I don't think I need to buy a PSP for it. They're similar enough, and some of the reviews I've read have stated that it doesn't beat AW -- just offers a nice alternative to it for PSP owners. So I'm happy for you guys.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 12:04:33 pm »
Thanks dude.

Though online is a big plus for Field Commander. Pretty much no matter which side your own.

PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 12:12:43 pm »
Thanks dude.

Though online is a big plus for Field Commander. Pretty much no matter which side your own.

I could definitely see that, but all of my friends have DS's at this point and each has their own copy of AW, so we're not without multiplayer options either. Plus, getting to pester one another while coming up with strategy is ... priceless. :)

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 01:10:31 pm »
If only I was so lucky. Most of my friends with PSP's don't like strategy games, and defiantly not turn based games. All the same, we are all going to different schools next year and most of them have jobs after school, and my new school is a hour away.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 01:24:18 pm »
If only I was so lucky. Most of my friends with PSP's don't like strategy games, and defiantly not turn based games. All the same, we are all going to different schools next year and most of them have jobs after school, and my new school is a hour away.

Wow, that sucks. At least you'll have online then. That's always a nice alternative to having no one to play with. I've been very lucky that my friends and I have been able to remain close, but it also helps when you've all finished school and are settling down. Well, except for me. My future plans include moving elsewhere for increased job ease so we'll see how that affects our gaming habits together. Hopefully it won't -- but there's no way to know till it happens.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 01:30:30 pm »
You never know what the future holds.

Often for the better.

Offline h20

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 05:55:08 pm »
I bought the game yesterday, and i must say, its godlike.

Think advance wars, but more complex (But not too complex). It strikes a good balance between easy to  learn and deep strategies.

Also, the Map editor is pretty cool, you can upload your maps to there servers for other people to download and play on. It works as-advertised, hassle free.

Online is lag-free, and lots of fun. Easy to set up and get into a game, tons of options to customize.

My only gripe is the sometimes wussy AI, at times it seems like the AI rather make its units fall back and retreat instead of attacking you, even when they have an advantage. Then again, Online is where its at...

Anybody whos even remotely a strategy fan and owns a PSP needs to buy this game.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 10:10:24 pm »
My only gripe is the sometimes wussy AI, at times it seems like the AI rather make its units fall back and retreat instead of attacking you, even when they have an advantage. Then again, Online is where its at...

Perhaps. But it was always nice with Advance Wars that the computer could be a hellaciously unfair bastard to fight. The AI on that game is pretty tough.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 03:22:40 am »
I am defiantly getting it. When it comes out here.