Author Topic: Best RTS  (Read 9562 times)

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
Re: Best RTS
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2006, 04:01:04 pm »
Starcraft is good, but it's ruined by its horrible community.

Rise of Nations is better, but it's ruined by not having a community.

Total Annihilation is not a strategy game. If you can just hole up for a couple of hours and lob nukes at other players, then there's something wrong with the game.

I don't think a truly great RTS has been made yet, really.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2006, 04:26:51 pm »
Dawn of War and Age of Mythology are my favorites

Dawn of War has the greatest intro video ever, btw
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 04:31:21 pm by operaghost21 »
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2006, 02:23:49 am »
why are you forgetein the total war series? like rome total war? those TOTALY pwn

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Megagun

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • And the moose comes in the night
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2006, 03:05:32 am »
Two other great RTS games (but clearly not the best) were Dark Reign (the original, not 2), and Battlezone 2...
Dark Reign 1 because of the neat Tactics Engine, which was very neat and a bit of a combination between Starcraft's and Total Annihilation's engines... It allowed for some very nice versatility and command over your stuff.. Too bad the resource gathering was *TERRRIIIBBBBLE*...

Battlezone 2.... well.. the singleplayer campaign was pretty awesome, and ofcourse the fact that it's a FIRST PERSON RTS... They've done a great job at combining FPS and RTS, I must say.. It also looks really awesome, even today..

Homeworld was also great, mostly because of the singleplayer campaign and the music.. Best music in a game ever, in my opinion...

Metal Fatigue was also quite nifty, even though the GUI wasn't up to standards, and there were only a few units.. Customizing your own giant bots was fun, though, and watching a battle unfold between two giant bots each with two swords.... Priceless.. :) And ofcourse the 3 seperate battlezones (surface, underground, sky) was quite nifty, and they actually implemented that quite well...

Now, what about the future? I'm placing my bets on Supreme Commander. From what I've seen of it, it's going to be awesome.. Giant battlefields + giant nukes = fun.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2006, 07:51:00 am »
Can't really say I have a favourite one.

I've been playing Battle for Middle Earth II a lot lately though, and it's a lot of fun, besides the Elves been overly powered.  The one real problem I have with the game is the a.i. the computer players don't even try, no matter what difficulty you play on the don't defend their base they just attack constantly, wave after wave of guys.  One time on a network game with my brother agains two hard computers, after we managed to defeat one computer team, we went to attack the other, only to find it had actually sold his fortress to make money and room for more men.  It was seriously just a ring of barracks.  That isn't right.

Anyone know if there's some kind of a.i. patch or mod yet?

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2006, 07:57:56 am »
What about Age of Mythology? Its kinda different to the other age of empires but I find it fun.

Great game too. I like those Minotaurs smashing people around :P
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.

Offline h20

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2006, 12:01:33 pm »
Command and Conuqer (Tiberian Sun, RA2/YR) are excellent RTS's, StarCraft (the perfect balance of it almost makes it like a virtual Chess game) and TA (Though i never liked it)

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2006, 12:07:01 pm »
I'm still waiting for some Warcraft ripoffs, games with low numbers of units, and arcadey unit stats.  Thus far nobody has really caught onto why Warcraft III was so great.

And if you're wondering what mine is... it's WC3.  I've never played TA, but I intend to get Supreme Commander.
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline Engineer

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2006, 12:26:53 pm »
You know, I didn't think WC3 was all that great.  It didn't captivate me for nearly as long as starcraft did.  The concept of creeping seemed cool, but it just turned the game into "who can level up their hero faster before the big battle."  Also, you guys talk about community...every time i played multiplayer WC3, I got total a**holes.  Either they'd kill me, and run off a string of curses about how much of a n00b I was; or I'd beat them, and they'd run off a string of curses about how I was cheating.
Never Stop Inventing.

Offline Snapple

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2006, 12:33:31 pm »
Every game has ppl like that.

Warcraft was great, all 3

What about syndicate, i dunno what genre you would call it, but its really good, pretty old, by bullfrog
Dentists should not have to learn about lactation

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2006, 02:24:27 pm »
Total Annihilation is not a strategy game. If you can just hole up for a couple of hours and lob nukes at other players, then there's something wrong with the game.

You're not playing against very good players. Also, you can always ban the nukes if you find that happening all the time.

-Lego

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2006, 04:42:54 pm »
And is not counter nuke weapon cheaper then the nuke?
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

TheChaos7

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2006, 10:37:41 am »
omg! on the gamefaqs starcraft message board the fanboys reign....they say that starcraft is the most complex rts to date it annoys the crap outta me..i try to tell them otherwise hooboy...they say very few can understand the depth they say its more complex then warcraft 3 aoe3 empire earth..age of mythology...man they annoy me

i love starcraft but geez they are dumb..

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2006, 11:09:42 am »
SC is a very good game but even it haves it limits.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

TheChaos7

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2006, 12:15:01 pm »
yeah it is fun but extremely outdated ihate fanboys so much >_<