Author Topic: Anyone read any Haruki murakami?  (Read 4437 times)

Offline Nuriboy

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
Anyone read any Haruki murakami?
« on: May 10, 2005, 09:14:04 am »
Wow.

Just finished "Kafka on the shore" today and what can I say? Its incredible.

Ive never come across a surrealist author before, and the way Haruki weaves his words touched me so deeply.. (even if it was translated from Japanese with little annoying americanisms such as "JEEZ LOUISE") The story itself is utterly bizarre but not to the extent where you get irritated (ala David lynch)... it leaves you in a strange kind of trance when you put the book down and that itself is very difficult to do.

This is the first book Ive read from the author so far and am definately going to collect the rest.

Anyone read any of his works? or can recommend a similar author?

It could be frankie. It could be very fresh and clean. It could be a balloon.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
Re: Anyone read any Haruki murakami?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 11:40:44 am »
The most surreal books I've read are by Robert Anton Wilson, the guy who wrote the Illuminatus Trilogy and other related titles.  Although, I wouldn't have been prepared to read him if I hadn't read a disturbing, non-linear story called Chimera by an author whose name I've forgotten.  Even further though, what truly prepared my mind for all sorts of disturbing and bizarre books was good old Kurt Vonnegut, especially Hocus Pocus.  Other than that, I've very little experience with straight surrealism except in theatre.  And I like David Lynch.  The Elephant Man totally rocked and I will hear nothing said about the backward speaking midget from beyond the stars.  -leeman

Offline Ryuukuro

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 08:33:42 am »
My first exposure to Murakami was accidental.  I was browsing through Japanese movie trailers and hapened upon the trailer for Tony Takitani.  Intrigued by the lack of explosions, monsters, and words attacking my face, I decided to look it up and happened upon the whole short story on the New Yorker's website.  I wouldn't say that the story surreal but it is quietly brutal.  The film looks to be the same way.
"It's just a game!  Stop complaining!"  - Me

"Earth is the Kingdom of Who-Gives-a-****" - Will Wright

Offline Bona Fide Supraman

• Star Raider
  • Not Super, Supra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 08:58:35 am »
Yes I'm digging up and old thread, but on the other hand, I wasn't going to make a new one.

I was wondering if anybody has read "Hard boiled wonderland and the end of the world," because it is genuinely the best book I have ever read.
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.