Author Topic: SG: Atlantis  (Read 11039 times)

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: SG: Atlantis
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 01:16:16 pm »
Or we could just assume that most of the other civilizations evolved a form of telepathic voice transmission by which when they talk Earth humans interpret as English :P
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 01:17:36 pm »
I read, in a book based on it, that the DHD in cahoots with the Stargate, allow the language barrier to not be a problem. Everyone sounds like english to us, and to everyone else, we sound like their language.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 01:41:17 pm »
Everything is stolen from everywhere. Go with it.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 03:15:31 am »
*bump*

I had never seen any of the stargate series before until 3 days ago (yeah, kill me).

I started by watching the first movie and I'm now near the end of SG-1 Season 1.

I have a few questions:
1. Will it keep being as cool as it is now? (by now I mean the season I'm watching)
2. At what point in SG-1 does the second movie and Atlantis fit in?
3. Why the hell do people in most planets where they go speak ENGLISH? It would be more interesting if they spoke some old language and Daniel had to figure it out (this way it just seems like language all evolved to English on most planets).

1.  In my opinion the series only gets better as it goes on, I'm not sure how many others would agree with that, but if you enjoy it now, you should definitely see it to the end.

2.  By the second movie do you mean the Ark of Truth?  In which case, you should watch it last, it was made to finish up the storyline in Season 10.  And Atlantis starts by following on from the end of the seventh series.  If you watch Atlantis, after hearing about it for seven seasons of SG-1, it is far cooler.   :)

3.  Well that's not so bad, they do ocassionally meet a race that doesn't speak English but it really wouldn't work if they didn't.  I've just started watching the Next Generation on DVD and I can't get over the fact almost every species they encounter is human, or almost human.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 05:42:27 am »
Or we could just assume that most of the other civilizations evolved a form of telepathic voice transmission by which when they talk Earth humans interpret as English :P

Babelfish-ish.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 08:59:40 am »
Am I the only one who thinks that Rowan fellow is just a really really cheap substitute for Teal'C?I had to wiki his name, ok?

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2008, 09:52:00 pm »
1.  In my opinion the series only gets better as it goes on, I'm not sure how many others would agree with that, but if you enjoy it now, you should definitely see it to the end.

Well the was a bit of shark jumping in the last 2 seasons in the end it was probably best it was cancled when it was before it fell to far off the slope. Still i didn't think the last 2 seasons were bad it was just going downhill it was still good when they got out.

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 01:37:38 pm »
Stargate: Atlantis is ending its TV run at the end of this season... but there will be straight to dvd movies.

Another crappy Sci-fi show bites the dust.  :P
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 11:39:03 pm »
Stargate: Atlantis is ending its TV run at the end of this season... but there will be straight to dvd movies.

Apparently, next year there will be "Stargate: Universe", a new series about a pre-programmed ancient ship headed to the far reaches of the universe... sounds like a bunch of there shows, including Voyager, the latter seasons of Buck Rogers, Lost in Space, Space 1999, etc etc etc...

Then how are stargates involved?

TBH, I was sick of the Wraith anyway. They were a big threat at the beginning, then died down, then popped up every once in a while.
Spore! Star Wars! Dinosaurs!
Fanfic!

I blame what I call the Scopes Law (When discussing evolution in the presence of a creationist, the discussion always becomes a religious debate).

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 01:09:34 pm »
I think the Ori were about as close as they were going to get in taking on Christianity. I was really upset that they totally took the cop-out route in the earlier seasons with Teal'c's quote to the effect of "No Goa'uld would behave like the Christian God". Plus, I like space battles, so they were good in that respect.

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 10:25:17 pm »
I think the Ori were about as close as they were going to get in taking on Christianity. I was really upset that they totally took the cop-out route in the earlier seasons with Teal'c's quote to the effect of "No Goa'uld would behave like the Christian God". Plus, I like space battles, so they were good in that respect.

I always found it amusing that whenever they had an episode that criticized faith to a certain point, they'd try to cover their a**es by pulling a "christianity exempt, of course" by having a character counter it.

Best example I've seen of this is in the episode where they mess up a star and everything turns red. Jack wants to convince them that their faith is unreliable and that their god doesn't exist, but daniel says he shouldn't question their god's existence.

As for Teal'c's quote, I find that pathetic. "No Goa'uld would behave like the Christian God"; Oh, so they would act like Allah, Yaweh, and the Hindu gods and goddesses, insinuating that they would somehow be not as benevolent?
It also contradicts an earlier episode where (can't believe I forgot his name) Teal'c's mentor question's earth religions (the episode where they introduce Teal'c's mentor).
Spore! Star Wars! Dinosaurs!
Fanfic!

I blame what I call the Scopes Law (When discussing evolution in the presence of a creationist, the discussion always becomes a religious debate).

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 11:50:30 pm »
I was JUST starting to like Atlantis, too.  Oh well, they'll be the movies.

Anyways, the new show sounds...  bad.  I just don't like the concept.  It could be good, but I don't know. 

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2008, 05:46:06 am »
What Sci-fi needs is a truly original series.  Or, failing that, something based on something that was original a year or so ago.

*crosses fingers and hopes for a Lost Room series*
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2008, 01:47:19 pm »
*Crosses fingers along with Neoadept*
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Szaifedias

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2008, 04:57:04 pm »
I like Star Gate, so Atlantis was good in my opinion. Just a bit different from the original one, but still Star Gate and that's the important point on it!
So I can say Atlantis isn't that bad at all 8) (And I only like this show, because I watched Star Gate as I was a little little child with my parents.)