Author Topic: Paradox Games  (Read 52385 times)

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Paradox Games
« Reply #375 on: May 09, 2016, 04:11:10 pm »
game's good!

took me embarrassingly long to figure out you get power by building mining stations (I was looking for "orbital power station" or something) and even more embarrassingly long to notice you could speed up the game :D

now I gotta start a new game where I don't totally neglect my military.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #376 on: May 09, 2016, 07:17:43 pm »
took me embarrassingly long to figure out you get power by building mining stations (I was looking for "orbital power station" or something) and even more embarrassingly long to notice you could speed up the game :D

Look at me! I'm mining electricity!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #377 on: May 09, 2016, 08:59:12 pm »
After 6 hours, the only problems I've had was forgetting that I've paused the game

Sounds just like a Paradox Game to me.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 10, 2016, 12:30:35 am »

As it's mostly gas giants, I took it to mean skimming hydrogen, like the Space Cows/Whales/Squid.

Offline emmet

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 10, 2016, 01:48:56 am »
Hostile fleet detected.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 10, 2016, 02:11:34 am »

As it's mostly gas giants, I took it to mean skimming hydrogen, like the Space Cows/Whales/Squid.

Well first off you're not gathering and spending energy. It's "energy credits". If you hover over the energy credit icon in the toolbar it explains that energy credits are essentially just a form of energy-backed currency which any spacefaring, intelligent alien will accept. Basically it's an acknowledgement that ultimately money represents labour/work potential rather than being tied to a useless proxy resource like gold. That's why some events give you energy credits even though there are no nuclear reactors or hydroelectric dams involved.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline emmet

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 10, 2016, 02:37:19 am »
Enough mansplaining dude

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #382 on: May 10, 2016, 06:56:11 am »
I have around 7 hours into the game so far. I do like it a lot ... but ... there are a few things.

I'm not sure what is going on with the long-term quests/tasks. I had one where I had to fly across the entire galaxy to scan some clouds ... which I did and then ... nothing. The task just disappeared from my list and if I got a reward I didn't see it. Not sure what's going on with those as those long-term tasks are A LOT of work, you would expect some sort of reward rather than nothing at all. (I'm sure there is a reward ... somewhere, just not sure where).

The AI is a bit odd. I can't seem to make the other AI pay any attention to me at all. Not that I want to be attacked left and right, but so far I'm expanding right next to multiple AI borders and they don't seem to care at all. I would barely know they were in the game if I didn't see them on the map. Perhaps this will change later? But so far they have been a non-factor.

I believe there is a bug where you leaders get unassigned as I'm constantly finding my leaders going missing and hanging around doing nothing.

I like this game a lot and can't wait to see Paradox add DLC and expand it out like they do their other titles. Probably with a few more patches and the game will smooth out but so far so good.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #383 on: May 10, 2016, 08:01:22 am »
Definitely with you on the DLC. This game is a good base and it will get significantly better with time.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 10, 2016, 08:02:46 am »
I've not had any problem with the larger quests not giving my. I'm pretty sure, though, for the quest where you have to collect a bunch of xenos for a museum, it bases where they spawn on where you can see. If you've had a few star chart deals with other polities, be prepared to have to go half a galaxy away to find your Illusive Borobudurs, or whatever they're called in your game.

I think I've experienced the leader bug, like leaders will just end up back in the pool and off of their fleets?

I don't think I've seen the AI declare war on anything yet, and I've played 12 hours of this game. That's probably an issue.

I also can't figure out how to uplift people. I've got an Earth in my game inhabited by post-apocalypse cockroaches, and I want to make them my vassal empire by uplifting them. Do they need to be neolithic for that?

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 10, 2016, 08:11:50 am »
I also can't figure out how to uplift people. I've got an Earth in my game inhabited by post-apocalypse cockroaches, and I want to make them my vassal empire by uplifting them. Do they need to be neolithic for that?

They need to have a civilisation, yes, to do technological uplifting from the observation post.

I think there is a technology to go straight from pre-sapience, but I haven't come across it yet.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #386 on: May 10, 2016, 08:19:11 am »
I also have that Xenos quest that I'm still doing. The quest I did was scanning some clouds in space. I think I actually figured it out. I have access to a purple tech that isn't disappearing. I believe that was the reward ... but still not 100% sure, but it would make sense.

Yeah, the leaders just disappear and go into the pool randomly.

The AI not only doesn't declare war they don't do ... anything really. Very upsetting, they just hang out and do nothing so far.

When you observe primitive people click on your observation post and you'll see a few different options/buttons. Some won't be available to you depending upon your ethics (I REALLY wanted to have the ability to hide in their population and subvert their government, but I wasn't allowed). There is one option that lets you uplift them, I'm actually doing that one now as it takes time, but I'm curious to see what happens at the end.

Again, the game seems really good ... but it needs a bit more polish. I really really hate when games like this come up. They are awesome and I can see all the amazing things they are trying to do, but it needs more to be a complete game. Still hopefully they can patch and improve the game fairly quickly as it's very close to being super awesome, just a few rough patches here and there...
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline emmet

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 10, 2016, 08:25:17 am »
Just curious, do those of you who have leaders go back into the pool have democracies/civs which require voting? I saw someone make reference to votes causing this to happen.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #388 on: May 10, 2016, 08:32:31 am »
Again, the game seems really good ... but it needs a bit more polish. I really really hate when games like this come up. They are awesome and I can see all the amazing things they are trying to do, but it needs more to be a complete game. Still hopefully they can patch and improve the game fairly quickly as it's very close to being super awesome, just a few rough patches here and there...

This seems more and more like the normal state of affairs with a lot of games. I know you really liked XCOM 2, Steve, but for me that game was squarely in this category; it was also the case with Fallout 4 as well, but to a lesser extent. Cool game with lots of ideas and a good outlook, but right now it's a bit jumbled. But the prospect of patches and DLC are definitely appealing and I can wait!

Very glad they let me use the custom nation tool right away. I love making my own spacefaring civ.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 10, 2016, 08:48:46 am »
I haven't really had any issues TBH, though it's only been 4 hours.

AI has been antagonistic, leaders stay where they are, Purge All works great. Glory to the Great Fire!

I'm actually pretty behind comparatively to other empires but I'm really isolated too since I genocided my neighbors
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.