Author Topic: A Scanner Darkly  (Read 2234 times)

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
A Scanner Darkly
« on: June 24, 2005, 04:53:14 pm »
I've never seen this style done in a movie.  Looks interesting.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/warner_independent_pictures/a_scanner_darkly.html

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
Re: A Scanner Darkly
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 04:54:34 pm »
The director did a movie called Waking Life which uses the same style.  I think it's a variant of rotoscoping like in the godawful Ralph Bakshi Lord of the Rings.  I'm very interested in this though.    The author of the book went kind of crazy. -leeman

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 11:54:21 pm »
I saw Waking Life in an art class a few years back.  I didn't really like it since its not a movie with a plot or anything, its more like a collection of ideas on life and the meaning of dreams and things of human nature.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 12:18:44 am »
It's a movie designed for the maximum amount of thoughtfulness and decent conversation but also horrible pretention.  I like it but I could just imagine people sitting in coffee shops dissecting the film to their own greater glory.  It's a good movie but it's all talking and no plot, like the man said.  If you like My Dinner With Andre, you'll like this...probably.  -leeman

ps: ethan hawke still irks me.