Author Topic: Recommend a Game for an Old Lady to Play  (Read 8446 times)

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a Game for an Old Lady to Play
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 05:54:11 am »
Half-Life 2. It has everything you want, except it isn't a rpg (As it seems you like that genre.)

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 09:53:52 am »
Yeah, Half Life 2 is really a must, regardless of what games you usually like.

Its the Citizen Kane of video games!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Skraeling

• Akalabeth Addict
  • My what big teeth I have.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 10:20:55 am »
Or even the original half-life really. pinnacles of FPS/puzzle imo.

No, really.  I am a card carrying scientist.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 03:56:50 pm »
And remember, with Half Life 1, all the levels are auto unlocked so if you get stuck with those pesky Marines on Hostiles, then you can not both with the pointless gunfights which that this level is chock full of!

Bloody Red Berets......
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 06:10:54 pm »
Or even the original half-life really. pinnacles of FPS/puzzle imo.

i wouldn't say it's got the best puzzles.

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 01:01:00 am »
I do NOT suggest Civ IV unless your looking for a major time sink... It's a great game, and isn't hard to figure out at all (unless you really dig into the micromanaging), it just takes forever to complete a game against more than two AIs.

The Sims 2 is a really great game. It's easy to get wrapped up in, but is a lot of fun.

You may wanna try Mass Effect, though I'm not sure if it would run properly on your hardware. It is, hands down, the single greatest game I have ever played. In fact, the night I got it, I stayed up until 7 AM playing it... I didn't even sleep. I just couldn't tear myself away.

World of Warcraft is fun and would run great on your laptop, but I warn you now: this game will chew through your self-control and reduce you into a humanoid blob of addiction. Play at your own risk.

I know it doesn't fit your description very well at all, but I must mention Dawn of War. For a long time this was all I had to do, and next to Mass Effect is the best thing since sliced bread. It's what got me infatuated with PC gaming and RTS games in one blow.

And Peggle is fun, even if it is casual. I doubt PatMan meant any offense. Peggle Extreme is better, though. So much so, in fact, that the unicorn is having its face eaten by a crab. How could it get better?
I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 05:49:34 am »
Your on XP?.

I know how you can get Majesty to work i think.

Click your start bar.

Click run

Type in DxDiag

Click display

Then click the disable button thats right beside Direct Draw acceleration.

Then Majesty should work. However make sure you repeat this process and enable Direct draw before you play anything else.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2008, 07:23:39 am »
if you don't mind older games there is always morrowind, the prequel to Oblivion.
the graphics aren't as good and the combat isn't as intense, and conversations are text, but once you get by that its a great game!

and for Half-life, it is a great game, one of my favorites to date! but it may not be what your looking for.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 07:27:04 am by Skyward Descent »
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2008, 01:55:28 pm »
Orange box is worth it's weight in gold, and can be run easily on basic systems. It has Portal, TF2, HL2, HL:Ep 1, and HL:Ep 2, all very good games. I also highly recommend Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion.
Kings 2:23-24 --- The Holy Bible
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!" 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youth.

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 02:40:23 pm »
It seems that if you like medieval/fantasy you could check out Mount & blade.

it's got a free demo, but even so, it's great fun. and if you're into sails, treasurechests and tatoos and that sort of thing you could probably solve it by nefarious ways.

Mount & blade kicks butt. It is one of the best games I own and the mods you can download are fantastic.

Offline Ameg

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2008, 11:02:41 pm »
If you're really missing your Zelda fix, there are N64 emulators out there as well as downloadable versions of both Zelda: OOC and Majora's Mask. It's also not illegal, as long as you own the game. Fortunately for me I have a huge collection of those awful N64 cartridges, just not system to play them on any more.  :P

I would just warn you away from using bit torrent to download them since it's just asking for malware.

But yes, as far as modern games are concerned, the Elderscroll series is probably your best bet. Oblivion has better combat and graphics, but Morrowind was far better imo, just because it was so much more immersive. And I'm sure a young lass like yourself would have no problem reading dialogue yourself rather than listening to the same 5 voices repeating the same lines, hour after hour.

Offline OldLady

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
    • Help Support a Positive Campaign
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2008, 04:40:36 pm »
You should get Peggle!

PatMan33:  Sorry it took so long to get back here.  I have been playing Peggle, uh, a lot.  The advert for it is pretty misleading with the unicorn and cutsie animals, but you are very right:  it is addictive yet simple to learn to play. 

Thanks for the suggestion!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 04:43:38 pm by OldLady »