Author Topic: Floating, not Flying.  (Read 12471 times)

Offline Evil Lil Spore

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
Re: Floating, not Flying.
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 01:09:56 pm »
Aww, hearing about heards of floating herbavours being chased by a floating predator is getting my hopes up now. And since its been confirmed that weather will be in the game, storms could help them move, or scatter their whole heard across the earth.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 01:17:22 pm »
Ummm, where was this confirmed. i know the vid has clouds and storm and so forth but they may just be pretty pictures with no physical effect.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Genusaus

• Dragster Diehard
  • "She Who Thirsts"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2006, 01:22:02 pm »
I think he is thinking about terraforming.
The power of purple! The Hundred Years War, which was won by the French started on the year of 1337.

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2006, 01:31:12 pm »
In the interview, Will Wright said that they have weather, but they are still debating how it will affect your creatures.  Such as natural disasters and what not.
"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline Elyas

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2006, 02:03:55 pm »
If you look at the picture with all of the different creatures, I think one of them might be a floating creature.  It certainly doesn't like like it relies solely on those wings to fly.

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2006, 02:06:58 pm »
If you look at the picture with all of the different creatures, I think one of them might be a floating creature. It certainly doesn't like like it relies solely on those wings to fly.

yea but it looks more like fish or a manitee
"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
  • Insert Llama noise here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2006, 02:37:39 pm »
If you look at the picture with all of the different creatures, I think one of them might be a floating creature. It certainly doesn't like like it relies solely on those wings to fly.

yea but it looks more like fish or a manatee

i agree, when i saw that creature i immediately thought it was a water creature.

Bow before the Llamas! They demand your respect!

Offline Elyas

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2006, 02:56:10 pm »

i agree, when i saw that creature i immediately thought it was a water creature.

Maybe because I see it flying my mind went to how something like that could fly.  I imagined an animal that had an air sac that it could fill with helium to float through the air.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2006, 03:01:07 pm »

Maybe because I see it flying my mind went to how something like that could fly. I imagined an animal that had an air sac that it could fill with helium to float through the air.

if you look at the full picture and look to the right, you'll also see the jellyfish type thing that we saw briefly in the GDC vid, the only reason its floating in that pic is because its a water creature.

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2006, 03:48:13 pm »

Maybe because I see it flying my mind went to how something like that could fly.  I imagined an animal that had an air sac that it could fill with helium to float through the air.

if you look at the full picture and look to the right, you'll also see the jellyfish type thing that we saw briefly in the GDC vid, the only reason its floating in that pic is because its a water creature.

It's a fish. The first time I saw that pic though for some reason I thought it had two skinny chicken legs reaching down to the ground. Then again I also thought the jellyfish was a lampost.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2006, 03:51:27 pm »
yea, the tentacles of the jellyfish thing are obscured by other creatures in front of it.

and yea theres no question that it is a fish/rhino/manatee sort of creature.

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2006, 07:10:57 pm »
i think it would be interesting to see what different types of movement you would have is you were aloud to make creaures that floated.  it also be funny to see what the computer downloads to be your natural predator.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2006, 11:36:50 pm »
Floating creatures sounds cool even if they had large wings for movement be reall cool.

Offline KroBua

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2006, 12:12:14 pm »
Maybe because I see it flying my mind went to how something like that could fly. I imagined an animal that had an air sac that it could fill with helium to float through the air.
When I first saw this guy I thought of a flying... well floating creature too, still to me now it looks like a creature that would be in the sky not the water.  But... if you guys all think is a water creature whatever I guess.

By the way Elyas nice name, I'm guessing since you have a wolf you got that out of The Wheel of Time series?

Ug, I got a stupid pink unicorn, hope next is better.

Offline MorgothTheEnemy

• Revenging Yar
  • I will find the ring...and eat it FOR THE EMPEROR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2006, 04:37:11 pm »

It's a fish. The first time I saw that pic though for some reason I thought it had two skinny chicken legs reaching down to the ground. Then again I also thought the jellyfish was a lampost.

I just had to quote all these quotes
Ash Nazg Durbatuluk,
Ash Nazg Gimbatul,
Ash Nazg Thrakatuluk,
Ag Burzum-Ishi Krimpatul!!!

"Then his neighbors looked good, so I gobbled them up too."
                                                                             -762
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm