Author Topic: Horizon Chase Turbo - NOT OUTRUN  (Read 2829 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Horizon Chase Turbo - NOT OUTRUN
« on: June 16, 2020, 07:37:27 am »
This game has entered what it calls its "second season" and as far as I can tell there are no additional purchases required for that or anything, which is cool. But to the point...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnqAX1Kfrf4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnqAX1Kfrf4</a>

I started playing this a couple years ago on the PS4 and then more recently it came out on the Switch. As you can see from the footage, it's pretty straightforward. You drive your car down the rolling track and manage your fuel while collecting the coins to hopefully get a top score. It's simple and fun. I've really enjoyed it on both systems and since it is a bit older you may be able to grab it on sale more readily. There are some expanded tracks that the developers offer for a small price, as well as some easier "beginner" courses that you can get for free.

These guys always seem to have contests going on their website and it looks like a pretty active developer. Give this one a try if you have not already. There is a lot of depth to this game.

Offline sgore

• Boulder Dasher
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
Re: Horizon Chase Turbo - NOT OUTRUN
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 06:50:26 pm »
This reminds me so much of an old racing arcade game I loved.
It was in the lobby of a training center where my older brother took Tae Kwon Do lessons.
I was maybe four or five.

I think I still see it sometimes, in fragments, in the backdrop of unrelated dreams.
But then the dream falls to the entropy of day.
And I wonder if am mistaken.

In the distance, I hear an airplane.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 06:54:04 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7tZFW4WedI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7tZFW4WedI</a>

Was it OutRun?

Offline sgore

• Boulder Dasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 07:00:37 pm »
It may have been!
The abrupt transitions between settings strike me as remarkably familiar and also one of my favorite parts of the game.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 07:03:27 pm »
You should be able to emulate it pretty easily! See if you can find it and try it out.

Along those lines, check out Horizon Chase Turbo if you want a more modern take. It is very faithful to the older OutRun game and series, hence why I call this game "NOT OUTRUN" jokingly. But it is a good game in its own right.

Yo but those graphics in OutRun. They are GORGEOUS and watching that long play video I posted really made me want to find the arcade machine. Those are just... magnificent!

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 08:23:04 pm »
Guys if you like this kind of game, Super Hang-On on the genesis is a gem. Really appealing environments (or at least I remember them being cool when I was a kid).

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 07:46:15 am »
Yes that game is great! It's made by mostly the same people. It is the predecessor to OutRun.

You ever play Road Rash? Or the modern variant called Road Redemption?

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 02:54:41 pm »
No but I remember reading about Road Rash in Nintendo Power (for some reason when I was a kid I read/got excited over Nintendo Power issues from the 90s). Looked cool. What's it about again?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 03:35:25 pm »
It is a vehicular combat game where you ride motorcycles and attempt to beat your competition to death with chain and axes. It's great!

The new version (Road Redemption) is made by different developers but is conceptually the same. It has a bunch of new bells and whistles and is also broken and buggy as ****. Though not buggy in a bad way most of the time. Buggy in a fun way. Give it a shot if you have a friend that owns it. We would do local co-op on it multiple nights per week a year or two ago. Had a great time.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 07:09:33 pm »
That sounds like a lot of fun, I'll check it out. Ty for the rec!

Offline sgore

• Boulder Dasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 04:45:20 pm »

But- but that was my childhood.

...wasn't it?

*stares at hands*

Also I still need to play this game.
I should get a switch at some point.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 07:24:41 pm »
Don't worry! This game is on pretty much every system. There's a new event happening right now as well.

Sgore... shoot the spambot. It is not one of us. Never shall it be one of us. Make your forefathers proud... @_@

*decision music plays*