Author Topic: Ask Your Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Questions  (Read 39281 times)

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
Re: Ask Your Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Questions
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2006, 06:15:13 am »
Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Helpful suggestion- instead of posting after yourself several times (double/triple posting) please just use the button to add to your last post. It will still get read. Thanks  :)

Offline SumGI

• Joust Warrior
  • If those flies loose their eyes, we are in trouble
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2006, 10:34:56 am »
Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Helpful suggestion- instead of posting after yourself several times (double/triple posting) please just use the button to add to your last post. It will still get read. Thanks  :)

hmm... I have no idea why my post consisted of only this quote...look at my post before this one?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 04:45:39 pm by SumGI »
"By placing a light in a field at night, the boy flies fly in, and as they pass near the light they are unknowingly shot in the reproductives by invisible radiation and sterilized...
They mate and die happy. The female lays her eggs and she dies happy. The eggs die and we are happy..."

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2006, 12:13:53 pm »
QUESTION!

What is so great about this game? I've read the features, and it apparently has amazing AI.. but .. I have to be missing something.. other then this amazing AI nothing looks overly amazing, so whats the big deal about it?
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline soulfire777

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2006, 04:24:04 pm »
QUESTION!

What is so great about this game? I've read the features, and it apparently has amazing AI.. but .. I have to be missing something.. other then this amazing AI nothing looks overly amazing, so whats the big deal about it?

Well I think to most people who think it is special, it is because The Elder Scrolls franchise has been about the only game I know of that provides the feeling of "really living" in an amazing fantasy world, and gives you the freedom to play any style of character you desire in any way you desire.

It goes beyond just having a few adventures, or just collecting phat lewt.

Oblivion in particular looks like it will offer many features that will make you really feel like you are there and bring the world to life for the player - at least to an extent that no other game up to this point has ever attempted.

In summary, TES games provide the closest thing to a true "roleplaying experience" of any computer game I have ever played.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 04:30:23 pm by soulfire777 »

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2006, 10:20:29 pm »
Is it really that different? Because reading the features they list, it sounds very similar to Fable. Am I right about that or is it far different from Fable? I swer I just woke up one day and everywhere I looked people were talking about this game, so I'm sitting here a bit stunned saying whats all this about?
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2006, 10:58:37 pm »
It's pretty much Fable except most of the features that made the game unique in the first place haven't been hacked off it.
You can't very well expect a simulated world like Fable was supposed to be, but they have been improving it with this Radiant AI thing, what with NPC needs and schedules.

People look forward to this because they either really enjoyed Morrowind, or saw the potential future behind Morrowind's design. Now that the graphics have been upped big-time, there's a vastly improved "Havok" physics engine added, and NPCs should do a little more than walk back and forth all day... well, like I said once before: Oblivion is about one-upping Morrowind, and the followers of the game seem to agree that they're doing really well so far; even the Whiner's Guild has to agree.

I didn't care for Morrowind and I certainly didn't care much for Fable, but I must say I am very interested in what this game will bring.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline soulfire777

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2006, 01:02:55 am »
Is it really that different? Because reading the features they list, it sounds very similar to Fable. Am I right about that or is it far different from Fable? I swer I just woke up one day and everywhere I looked people were talking about this game, so I'm sitting here a bit stunned saying whats all this about?

Well I have not played Fable, only read about it.  One complaint I have seen about Fable is that the game is pretty short, even with the lost chapters expansion added.  By Comparison, in Morrowind I have played several single characters hundreds of hours each - and Oblivion is supposed to be substantially larger than Morrowind.

Overall I loved Morrowind, but it also had several things I did not like or felt needed serious improvement.  From what I can tell (from interviews, previews, screenshots, and videos released), pretty much every aspect of Morrowind that I did not like has been fixed or greatly improved in Oblivion - so my hopes are very high.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 01:08:39 am by soulfire777 »

Offline soulfire777

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2006, 01:11:57 am »

Sorry.

I was concerned that if the person who will be conducting the interview had read my previous posts, they might not notice questions I added later after they had originally read those posts.  :P

Offline Venom

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2006, 06:41:18 am »
Well, Hi everyone, Im pretty new in these forums ;)  ;D
I have just one little question. What can Bethesda say about particle system? Are particles a physic objects? Thanks, Ivan

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2006, 07:35:19 am »

Yes and no.  Fable promised much but just plain didn't live up to what it promised.  TES have always given much, and as mentioned before i couldn't name a better single player RPG that isn't party based (like KOTR, Baldurs Gate, etc.) than Morrowind (Oblivion's predecessor).  Oblivion will be amazing -

- it has this Radient AI system
- incredible graphics
- the elements which made past TES games awesome (the open endedness... the awesome scale, etc.)
- hundreds of hours worth of playtime (based on developer enthusiasm and past TES experience)
- facegen to mould your character's face in character creation
- an immersing storyline (they must've spent flipping ages on their lore - check out their website and the books IN Morrowind... incredible, they have in-game libraries!)
- new fighting system - plays with more of the player's own skill than just sitting there and letting the PC do it for you (ala WoW, EQ), and relies less on stats than it used to (ambiguous - could be a good thing or a bad thing).

I could seriously go on... it's just going to be incredible.  It's just a pity that March - June time will be the busiest of my life thus far, so my play time will be limited.  For those of you who have a lot of time on your hands Early-Mid 2006, get Elder Scrolls IV!

Offline Sychon

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2006, 02:35:34 pm »
FYI.

Comparing any Elderscrolls game to Fabel is comminting a SIN against all that is good in gaming.
Fabel promised soooooo much and brought nothing new to the tabel (Same with BW2 don't get that game either)
Elderscrolls on the otherhand always is honest and truthful. There one of the last few gaming companies that spends time on there games.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2006, 02:56:06 pm »
There one of the last few gaming companies that spends time on there games.

I think that's unfair.  I know a lot of companies who spend years of time on their games to make them as good as possible (Blizzard, Bethesda obviously, Sports Interactive, to name a couple), and i think everyone will agree that every developer would rather have more time with which to finish their projects without having to worry about publisher pressure and the like - it's the publishers who are really the party poopers.

But yeah i do agree with you on Fable - you can't compare TES with Fable... because even Daggerfall was better than Fable.

Offline SumGI

• Joust Warrior
  • If those flies loose their eyes, we are in trouble
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2006, 03:07:05 pm »
Most people say Daggefall was better than Morrowind...I'm not sure about that though
"By placing a light in a field at night, the boy flies fly in, and as they pass near the light they are unknowingly shot in the reproductives by invisible radiation and sterilized...
They mate and die happy. The female lays her eggs and she dies happy. The eggs die and we are happy..."

Offline Sychon

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2006, 09:16:57 pm »
There one of the last few gaming companies that spends time on there games.

I think that's unfair.  I know a lot of companies who spend years of time on their games to make them as good as possible (Blizzard, Bethesda obviously, Sports Interactive, to name a couple), and i think everyone will agree that every developer would rather have more time with which to finish their projects without having to worry about publisher pressure and the like - it's the publishers who are really the party poopers.

But yeah i do agree with you on Fable - you can't compare TES with Fable... because even Daggerfall was better than Fable.

Oh no I ment that there one of the few developers left that can actualy make a single player game thats fun and lasts a long time.

Offline soulfire777

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2006, 09:28:02 pm »
Armor and Magic:  I have read that in Oblivion, wearing armor will hinder spellcasting.  While this is the case in most other RPGs, TES games have not usually followed this paradigm (The armor clad Battlemage is something of a tradition in TES).

How much will wearing armor hinder spellcasting in Oblivion, and to what extent will the "perks" of high armor skill eventually negate this penalty?

Will low level characters be able to cast effectively while wearing armor, or will this become the domain of high level characters only?