Author Topic: Spore 2m copies, has 1.7m pirated. So almost half...  (Read 32923 times)

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
Re: Spore 2m copies, has 1.7m pirated. So almost half...
« Reply #150 on: December 25, 2008, 08:24:48 pm »
Form what i can tell is Bethesda Softworks which is a part of ZeniMax Media. EA have never been mentioned what i have seen.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline AlfredO

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 29, 2008, 08:21:03 am »
Huh, you're right. I always thought it was. I guess one of those logos on the start up for Fallout really looks like the EA logo.

But Steam is just as much a publisher as Amazon.com is
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 08:36:56 am by AlfredO »

Offline starshard0

• Mystery House Madman
  • I'm waiting for Spore to come out, don't bug me.
    • View Profile
    • Starshard0's Super Blog
« Reply #152 on: December 29, 2008, 11:06:02 am »
Let's pretend I have 100 friends (or seeing as how unlikely that is, let's say I go to a school with 100 students), and after I finish a game I lend one of those copies to one of the students. After he finishes it, I lend it to another until all 100 of them have played it and finished it.

Is that piracy? If not, then what is the difference between piracy and sharing? Is it the scale? In that case, let's change the above example so that I go to a school with 1000 students, or even 10000. I think we need a better definition of piracy before we go around concluding things.
Bored? On the internet? Probably not, but if so, check out my blog.

Offline Miclee

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 29, 2008, 12:32:21 pm »
Let's pretend I have 100 friends (or seeing as how unlikely that is, let's say I go to a school with 100 students), and after I finish a game I lend one of those copies to one of the students. After he finishes it, I lend it to another until all 100 of them have played it and finished it.

Is that piracy? If not, then what is the difference between piracy and sharing? Is it the scale? In that case, let's change the above example so that I go to a school with 1000 students, or even 10000. I think we need a better definition of piracy before we go around concluding things.
We gots a

Offline starshard0

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 29, 2008, 05:58:29 pm »
I can't tell if that's supposed to be sarcastic or not, stupid internet.

Offline AlfredO

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 29, 2008, 06:09:34 pm »
Well, not to that extreme. But hes right to an extent. How can you legally conclude that someone is a 'close, personal friend'? I would say that its the assurance that your sharing is on a closed circuit; that your friend isn't going to give it to another person who will continue the cycle. A lot of copyright legality seems to have to do with 'if we don't see it or it doesn't hit our wallets that hard, then its alright'.

Obviously that doesn't effect the overall number of Spore copies which have been downloaded on pirate torrents. But the intellectual property laws are really screwed up in the US, very open to interpretation.

Offline starshard0

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 29, 2008, 08:32:23 pm »
I think the inherent problem with modern day games is the fact that you're being sold the rights to play a game as opposed to the game itself. Hence the EULA, which pretty much tells you what you can and cannot do with this software. Think of it as if you leased a building, you can't tear down the building if you're not given the rights to, you can't renovate the building if you don't have the rights, to, you can't even paint the building without the rights to. I guess on a really abstract level that would be a similar thing, since intellectual stuff is more like having a machine that makes buildings, but you're only allowed to make a building for yourself and not one for all your friends even though that machine could make an indefinite amount of buildings. In the case of DRM, that machine can only make a limited amount of buildings, but then someone messes with the machine so that it can make an infinite amount of buildings and gives them away anyways. This isn't really going anywhere, but the main point is that developers need to stop focusing on the pirates and start focusing on making games that sell so the piracy becomes insignificant.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 29, 2008, 08:52:40 pm »
The problem is that there is great question about how binding the EULA is. We are literally living in a age where companies try to claim ownership over everything. Even things that you may have produced with there tools. (And boy that could get messy when it turns out that everyone is using tools produced by everyone. But hay maybe the workers will rise up against there capitalist oppressors using EULAs on pens and such as the means  ;) )

In the end is about building a system that works and as i have said before. I think there is something wrong with the system we have today if Piracy is such a big issue. We should at least dare to take a look at alternative ways of publishing and compensation to stimulate the spreed of culture and knowledge.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 30, 2008, 03:25:45 am »

Let's pretend you have a family of 6 people, by family I mean close relatives such as parents and siblings. You buy a game and some or all of them want to play it, they're playing it on your computer but it was you who bought it, yet everyone got to play the game as much as they wanted. Now by your theory, everyone should have paid the game otherwise it's piracy, then again (by your theory) you should have paid 6x more for the game or your family should have bought 6 different copies otherwise... it's piracy  ::)
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 30, 2008, 06:50:19 am »
Actually i am not sure it is. First of all EULA and Copy Right are not the same thing. Copyright is a basic right that gives the Copyright holder a limited monopoly on his creative work. Now EULA is used on top of that to define those rights. However how binding the contract is is up to intergeneration and some things would likely not swing in favor of the copyright holder in court.

For more information i suggest EULA article on wiki.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 30, 2008, 07:39:41 am »
Microsoft puts "Do not lend or make illegal copies of this disc" on their discs.  At least they used to.  They can say it all they want, but that doesn't make it illegal.  I don't think there's a precedent for a software company suing an end user for letting someone else use their software after they're done with it.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 30, 2008, 08:36:46 am »
And then there is the problem with what a system is. I mean if i am not suppose to lead out my resources (Or there resources which i lease if we ask them <_<) the how should i run a platform with multiple users. Heck MS even supports multiple profiles. I know in my home we use each others machines all the time. What about terminals and running software on a distance? A other feature that MS supports btw. It could turn really messy really fast.

And well it is really messy. Anyone who have actually bothered to read the EULAs know that.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline AlfredO

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 30, 2008, 08:37:52 am »

Let's pretend you have a family of 6 people, by family I mean close relatives such as parents and siblings. You buy a game and some or all of them want to play it, they're playing it on your computer but it was you who bought it, yet everyone got to play the game as much as they wanted. Now by your theory, everyone should have paid the game otherwise it's piracy, then again (by your theory) you should have paid 6x more for the game or your family should have bought 6 different copies otherwise... it's piracy  ::)

I've always heard that there is some lenience in the US about trading and reproducing material for "close friends", I presume as long as they don't continue making copies themselves. But I'm sure representatives for game publishers would beg to differ. Nintendo is probably the worst for doing that, as they claim that any legal reproduction of their material is illegal. They specifically state on their website that the archival laws for backing up old games is void simply because they don't like the process to emulate them. They would claim that the VCR is totally illegal.