Author Topic: GS Musicology 101  (Read 9162 times)

Offline tooma125

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Viddy Well, Droog. Viddy Well.
    • View Profile
    • The Matarissans
Re: GS Musicology 101
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2006, 05:30:54 pm »

1) First album you owned/purchased?
Toxicity-System of a Down

2) Most recent album you purchased?
Caring And Killing-Converge

3) First live show?
Dropkick Murphys

4) Most recent live show?
Dropkick Murphys

5) Most overrated musician?
Sid Vicious

6) Most underrated musician?
Joey Ramone

7) What's your musical guilty pleasure (i.e. name a musician/group that your gut tells you you shouldn't like, but you do anyway)?
Wu-Tang Clan (but I love them anyway)

8 ) Let's say you could go back in time and bring any one dead musician into present times? Who would you pick?
Joey Ramone

9) What's your poster-child "band that broke up too soon"?
Aus-Rotten

10) Pick your dream band -- at the very least, vocalist, guitar, bass, drums. If you want to include a second guitarist, keyboards, theremin, lute, xylophone, whatnot... live it up, but you gotta start with the basics.
Girl from Within Temptation-Vox
Steve Jones-Guitar
Paul Simonon-Bass
Rat Scabies-Drums

11) Name one cover version of a song that whups the ass of the original.
Paint it Black- The Unseen (Stones cover)

12) Speaking of covers, name a song that always struck you as a great song if done by someone else.
Pennyroyal Tea (Nirvana)

13) Pick a dream collaboration, i.e. artist A working with artist B.
System of a Down with The Unseen

14) Best album cover art? (No Spinal Tap references)
The Ramones title album

15) Fat Elvis or skinny Elvis?
none at all!

16) If all four Beatles were still alive, would they have cashed in on a Millenium reunion concert?
Yes

17) Will there EVER be a more unrealistic movie moment than Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees beating up Aerosmith in the "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" movie?
Yes

18) Bono has been mentioned as a candidate to head the World Bank. Would you let Bono manage YOUR finances?
No

19) Would you let MC Hammer manage your finances?
No

20) Lastly, the infamous "desert island" question -- pick five CDs you'd take with you to a desert island. To add to degree of difficulty, no Greatest Hits allowed.
Ramones-Title Album
Clash- Title Album
Sex Pistols- Never Mind the Bollocks
The Unseen- The Singles Collection
Anti-Flag- Die For The Government
Matarissans make my soul cry blood...

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2006, 12:44:20 am »

This would be one of those compilation albums that come around, like Now 34 or something like that. I forget which one.

3 at the same time from Amazon:
Stadium Arcadium by the Chilis
The Yes Albulm by Yes
Close to the Edge by Yes

3) First live show?

Robolint, when they were still together

Jack Harris / Robert Blake a couple of weeks ago

All R&B artists

David Gilmour. The man is a genious.

7) What's your musical guilty pleasure (i.e. name a musician/group that your gut tells you you shouldn't like, but you do anyway)?

Linkin Park

8 ) Let's say you could go back in time and bring any one dead musician into present times? Who would you pick?

I'm going to have to go with Hendrix on this one, much as it pains me to leave out so many others.

Man, it's hard, because most bands break up for a good reason. If I could reform any band just to hear them play some of their old stuff, it'd be Led Zeppelin.

10) Pick your dream band -- at the very least, vocalist, guitar, bass, drums. If you want to include a second guitarist, keyboards, theremin, lute, xylophone, whatnot... live it up, but you gotta start with the basics.

Vocals - Robert Plant
Guitar - Jimi Hendrix
Guitar - Jimmy Page
Guitar - David Gilmour
Bass - Michael "Flea" Balzary
Keyboards - Rick Wakeman
Drums - Charlie Watts

Yes, that is three guitarists. Oh how much I would pay to see them all playing together.

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley. Best improvement on the original ever.

12) Speaking of covers, name a song that always struck you as a great song if done by someone else.

Return to Oz. Hate the Scissor Sisters, but it's a salvagable song.

Now this is hard. I would love to see Dylan work with Metallica. His songwriting, and their musical style.

Any and all Yes albums.

Skinny Elvis. Putting on weight was not a good move.

16) If all four Beatles were still alive, would they have cashed in on a Millenium reunion concert?

I like to think they would.

17) Will there EVER be a more unrealistic movie moment than Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees beating up Aerosmith in the "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" movie?

Yes, undoubtedly.

18) Bono has been mentioned as a candidate to head the World Bank. Would you let Bono manage YOUR finances?

Oh hell no. The man is an idiot.

I'd still rather do it myself.

20) Lastly, the infamous "desert island" question -- pick five CDs you'd take with you to a desert island. To add to degree of difficulty, no Greatest Hits allowed.

I can't do it. Well, I'll give it a stab. So many beautiful albums!

Metallica - Metallica
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
Led Zeppelin - Remasters
Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast
DragonForce - Inhuman Rampage
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 11:07:03 am by Daxx »

werechicken

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2006, 02:19:49 pm »
Are you ****ing kidding me!? That allot of questions!

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory

Goldfrapp - Supernature

3) First live show?
I don't usually go to live shos, but the first live music act I saw, who had been on TV, was Wigfeild at my university union

Darkness in France

Coldplay specifically, but I also think most big American muscians of all genres are hugely overated

The group Kasabian

Dido

Wagner ;)

Next!

I wouldn't know where to begin...

I wouldn't say whups, but Scissor sisters - Comfortably numb does do a good job

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts

Goldfrapp and the Zutons

The Zutons - Who killed the zutons?

Actually I've changed my mind about question 5, Elvis has got to be the most over-rated, he has like four really good songs, and thats about it

No because they would not be that willing to sel their souls and whore themselves out like the other drones did

I never saw it, so I can't say

I wouldn't even let him manage his own finances, he'd get an allowance very month, and every time he say's something unbeleivably arrogant and self-rightous He's lose a chunk of it.

Who's he again?

If I was going to be stuck on a desert island what music I'd be listening too would be pretty lo on my list of priorities, but if I was going on a long train journey it'd have to be;
Goldfrapp - Supernature
Killers - Hot Fuss
Muse - Absolution
Electir Six - Fire
Tenacious D (self titled)

Offline Incognimous

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
    • Wii-Online.net
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2006, 04:00:56 pm »
Metallica - Ride the Lightning

Dream Theater - Octavarium

3) First live show?
Gamma Ray

Hatebreed in Bielefeld (been a while)

Kurt Cobain

Pff, no idea.. Jack Slater?

Rammstein

J.S. Bach

Can't think of any

Vocals - Daniel Gilden÷w (Pain of Salvation)
Bass - Steve DiGiorgio (various, e.g. Death)
Drums - Danny Carey (Tool)
Guitar - John Petrucci (Dream Theater)
Keyboard - Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater)
Decorative element - Rob Zombie and Lemmy

Dimmu Borgir - Burn in Hell

It's to late here to understand that question for me...

Manowar working with 50 Cent... that would.. like... kick ass.

Tool

Or none at all?

Probably

"A red sun rises" ...

Which finances?

Which finances?

Pain of Salvation - Be (ChinassiaH)
Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory
Beethoven - 9th Symphony (I hope this counts as a CD...)
Both Liquid Tension Experiments.. that's exactly my kind of rock music.
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
Ren-Bai - A barbelicious creature!

Offline PhantomVI

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 11:51:34 am »
Michael Jackson Thriller and Duran Duran Arena (Christmas presents)

Johanna Newsom The Milk-Eyed Mender

3) First live show?
Aside from crappy local bands, I went to Lollapalooza 1993 - saw Unrest, The Vulgar Boatmen, Front 242, Tool (they were on the second stage) and Primus. I still can't believe I saw Unrest. They were amazing.

I saw John Cale a few months ago. Going to see The 1900s tomorrow night.

99% of everyone you hear on the radio. And the 1% is only because you and actually hear a Sufjan Stevens song on some stations.

Robert Wyatt. At least the people who know about him give him the respect he deserves.

I really like the Monkees

Maybe Dock Boggs, just so I could hang out and drink whiskey with him.

Can't think of any (with the exception of a band I was in years ago), but I can think of a lot who broke up at the perfect time.

Clara Rockmore on Theremin. She was the greatest. Ever.

I can think of dozens.

Don't know, I'd rather have a pleasant surprise, like when Scott Walker produced a Pulp album, or when Acid Mother Temple and Gong played a show together.

Amon Duul II Yeti

Skinny, but Fat had some good songs here and there

I think John would have kept his integrity. George, too.

I've seen KISS Meets The Phantom Of The Park, so yes, there already has been.

I don't trust his taste in sunglasses

No, but I'd let him take me shopping for HammerPants

Brian Eno Another Green World, Yo La Tengo I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One, Love Forever Changes, Robert Wyatt Rock Bottom, Pere Ubu Dub Housing
Of course if you asked my tomorrow I'd have an almost completely different list.
A spunky load of noodles.

c14dude

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2006, 10:37:36 pm »
1) First album you owned/purchased? Weezer - Blue Album

2) Most recent album you purchased? Atreyu - A Death Grip On Yesterday

3) First live show? A Perfect Circle

4) Most recent live show? Tast Of Chaos With The Deftones!

5) Most overrated musician? freaking rod stewart, kurt cobain, blink 182 and a million others (korn!)

6) Most underrated musician? Benjamin Burnley, Ian Walker.

i cant help but like a few of fall out boys songs

8 ) Let's say you could go back in time and bring any one dead musician into present times? Who would you pick? Dave Williams!

9) What's your poster-child "band that broke up too soon"? soundgarden, audioslave is great but damn soundgarden was better

ohhhhh

Singers : Benjamin Burnley, Corey Taylor
Bassist: Christopher Wolstenholme (muse)
Guitarist: Benjamin Burnley, ------------i will come back to this latter

Thrice - Send Me A Angel

The Temptations - Get Ready

13) Pick a dream collaboration, i.e. artist A working with artist B. Slipknot with tool

14) Best album cover art? (No Spinal Tap references) Tool - Anima

15) Fat Elvis or skinny Elvis? none thank you.

16) If all four Beatles were still alive, would they have cashed in on a Millenium reunion concert? i'm not sure but i wouldnt mind.

17) Will there EVER be a more unrealistic movie moment than Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees beating up Aerosmith in the "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" movie? we have michael moore movies now, so yes.

sunday bloody sunday!

19) Would you let MC Hammer manage your finances? he can't touch my stuff thats for sure.

Breaking Benjamin - Saturate
Breaking Benjamin - Phobia
Lost Prophets - The Fake Sound Of Progress
Weezer - Blue Album
Tool - Anima