Is it?

Yes
39 (65%)
No
11 (18.3%)
Unsure
10 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Is Spore Dead?  (Read 46513 times)

Offline Ichthyostega

• Rally-X Roadster
  • Behold! The fanhorn from the planet Snaiad.
    • View Profile
    • Ichthyostegland
Is Spore Dead?
« on: April 04, 2010, 07:06:54 pm »
With the total lack of updates and announcements recently (sans the robot parts), do you think Spore will die? With the current financial situation Maxis is in, the future of Spore doesn't look so bright.

What do you think?

Ichthyostega

Offline Summoner

• BurgerTime Chef
  • I wont stab you... or will i?
    • View Profile
    • Summoners Deviant Art Page
Re: Is Spore Dead?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 07:35:22 pm »
Its dead hahaa

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 08:23:24 pm »
It's definitely looking that way.

To be honest, I'm surprised how little I care.

gec05

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 10:21:43 pm »
Yeah, I'm really disappointed they slacked off on improving the game. No news is good news? I think this is an exception. I think all the pessimism finally got to them. Too bad though.

However, this thread is totally Helio-G bait, so watch out guys.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 05:22:10 am »
It's dead, we all knew it would die. They weren't doing well financially and their game was critically panned.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 07:16:55 am »
From what i understand it still sold pretty well. It was not the new Sims but that a bit high to expect. Especially considering it lacks the game play element being very shallow. Even Galactic Adventure is very shallow. And unlike the Sims you can not really decide on how much you wish to invents in to the game. Now if they had made the game deeper and more complex then it might have had more longevity. But game play wise there is essentially no choices. You have 2.5 archetypes though the game but is just down to button pressing and no real choice. If we had more goals then just evolving in to a space empire it probably would have been more fun. The Sims is a very open world where you have fairly different ways to tackle a situation and to get to different goals.

I feel is a bit sad that this game might die out because it does have potential. The editors are really fun to play around with it is just sad that the same creativity was not exported to the game it self. Sometimes is even a bit annoying on what limits they put on the player in the later stages.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

gec05

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 12:01:37 pm »
The creators were really great by the way. In fact, they spent so much time on that, that they practically disregarded game play.

In a sense though, that's all Spore is, a creator tool. Looking at your creations alone is essentially the only fun part of the game. :P

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 01:11:20 pm »
I am not sure how the context sensitive part would have made a game out of it. Also there still some part of that left. You can for example pick up stuff and ether give it or throw it at people.

But the thing is what you do in the game also need to have some impact or it will just feel like a shallow. When your choices have consequences then it feels more real and more engaging.

The design aspect give you two types of rewards that makes it valuable for the player. Directly it makes the game look pretty. It is fun to see something you have made in the game comes to life. Especially if it is cleaver. You can also share it with others giving you creed which is the other aspect of what makes it fun. If users felt even more connected to there creation via them having stats that actually matters leading to a deeper design the just the superficial which is often the case of many items in the game then it would be even more engaging i think. How to do this however i am not sure. And the editors them self are still very strong so it would not really be a area where the developers need to focus more. (Though i do think that a change in the creatures section would have help. One that try to meet some middle ground between how the stats are calculated pre and post game release. Nether system really promotes creativity.)

Is there a topic about how to make a game out of spore anywhere?
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Fumanchu

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 08:25:58 am »
I think Spore was intended to be Will Wright's swan song, something he could be proud of, and go out with a bang.  Instead, it's kind of been a whimper.

Hype really floated the game when it first came out.  No matter if you had your hopes dashed (like me) or you were satisfied with the end product, Spore still managed to do well initially.  But it was hobbled right out of the gate due to the simplistic gameplay.  EA/Maxis was't sure who their target demographic was and thus botched marketing opportunities everywhere they could, resulting in more disgruntlement from the few hangers-on left.

Even Will Wright pulled a Pontius Pilate and figuratively washed his hands of the whole Spore product (except with receiving royalty payments, no doubt).  He seemingly wanted to distance himself so much from Spore (which was his last videogame) that he's decided to pursue development of TV shows instead.

It seems to be a common complaint (with legs) that whenever a promising developer pairs up with EA, you can rest assured Quality will take a nosedive.  Instead, the end goal is Quantity (read: micro-transactions or endless expansion packs).  These aren't bad ideas, but you need to have that solid foundation and that core group of gamers you know will pimp the product to their friends.  Without that, you run the risk of driving sales right into the ground.

I remember right before Spore came out there was a post by someone that said something like: "Spore will be a game I will play for 20 years and then I will pass it on to my children, since by WW's estimate you could play your entire lifetime and still not see all there is to see."  He was flamed for basically saying the equivalent of having his own father tell him about a fascinating game called Pacman he should play.  Of course, then I played Spore and realized I'd really have to dislike my kids to want to foist it upon them even a year later (which is incredibly generous).

Long-winded, but this forum is dead anyway, so there you go.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 12:58:34 pm »
Especially considering it lacks the game play element being very shallow. Even Galactic Adventure is very shallow. And unlike the Sims you can not really decide on how much you wish to invents in to the game. Now if they had made the game deeper and more complex then it might have had more longevity.

Well that's the problem isn't it?  Too stipped down to appeal to hardcore gamers, yet still too complex for casuals.  It's in a sort of limbo.

Also:

Long-winded, but this forum is dead anyway, so there you go.

You havn't posted in a year.  You're not exactly in a position to declare the forum dead.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 06:22:35 pm »
Especially considering it lacks the game play element being very shallow. Even Galactic Adventure is very shallow. And unlike the Sims you can not really decide on how much you wish to invents in to the game. Now if they had made the game deeper and more complex then it might have had more longevity.

Well that's the problem isn't it?  Too stipped down to appeal to hardcore gamers, yet still too complex for casuals.  It's in a sort of limbo.

That is a myth. In the olden days they lived by the creed easy to learn and hard to master. Today is just easy to learn. The Casual gamer likes games which still takes skill and have depth. But you have to make the game so new players can play it at there own pace as slowly develop. This is part of what makes a game fun. To get better at something. To improve. One do not have to be the best player in the world. But is always fun to see that one have manage to become a little bit better then before.  The trick is making it rewarding. Not punishing the player to much for failure but rather encourage the player to try again and improve.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 04:02:26 pm »
Ugh, I know what that's like. For example, a somewhat gem of a game called S.L.A.I., or Steel Lancer Arena International (Don't ask about the name, I don't know, look at the devs.)
You start out underpowered, and then you tooth-and-nail your way to the class rankers. Think the most insane boss fight, multiply it by 40, then arm the character with a toothpick, and you get the Class Rankers in SLAI. They are waaaay too overpowered, to the point of being hacked. And the worst part? You loose money when you get killed. So it's not "Oh well, I lost, too bad.", it's "Oh my god! I just got killed in 0.6 seconds and just lost 1,490,000 moniez!!!11!". And, it all honesty, I would have prefered Spore be like that, then what it is now. I mean, Spore simply gives you NO challenge. So, if you like hardcore, you're outta luck, but if you like simple, then this is the game for you. The vehicle editor is completely redundant, past giving your unit health, speed, and attack. Actual design plays no role. You could have the legs upside down, it still moves as if they were right side up.  ::)

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 10:30:21 pm »
It would have helped significantly if Maxis hadn't basically looked down on the community and fanbase the entire lifespan of the game by squashing support for game mods, keeping a comparativley tight leash on their forums, offering absolutely no communication with the community outside of extremely limited and highly patronising "features" of asking a stripped down set of questions to some random-ass staff member, stonewalling feedback of both technical and suggestions for improvement and just generally not being there when their presence could have done a lot for the game's longevity.

If you shake crumbs and scraps down at the people trying to enjoy something and treat it like the second coming of christ people are going to get patronised very quickly and leave, and when that happens your product starts dying. Sure, the core product could have been more, but it could have gone so much further if EA/Maxis weren't so condescending about their community.

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 10:51:56 am »
Its a shame. Any game capable of establishing an entire net subculture must of had some potential. Too bad I never got the chance to really get into it.

gec05

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 12:30:24 pm »
Before the game came out, it was the best times we ever had here.

The release of Spore ruined it over time.