Author Topic: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis  (Read 133129 times)

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
Re: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis
« Reply #405 on: June 23, 2009, 01:20:41 pm »
Additional behaviors for creatures similar to personality traits in the Sims 3.

Oooo. now that'd be a really interesting idea. Tag a critter with a couple of keywords and icons and see how they end up interacting.  ;D
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline Beastosaurus

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Heeeeeeeeres Beasty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 23, 2009, 02:40:41 pm »
Additional behaviors for creatures similar to personality traits in the Sims 3.

Oooo. now that'd be a really interesting idea. Tag a critter with a couple of keywords and icons and see how they end up interacting.  ;D

This could vastly expand the nature of eco systems. I would love to cloak my ship, zoom in real close and watch different species from different planets interact. Then we'd be getting more into simulation territory. Of course, the creatures don't individually have a realistic need for food, water, etc that they must fulfill.
I think fish drown when they are knocked unconscious or pierced through the lung.

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #407 on: June 23, 2009, 03:23:59 pm »
Of course, the creatures don't individually have a realistic need for food, water, etc that they must fulfill.

But, ideally, they should. Again, this is something Sims already have... well, they have hunger at least.
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline Beastosaurus

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Heeeeeeeeres Beasty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 01, 2009, 01:31:22 pm »
Yes, I agree. I find it strange that your creatures never need to drink. If Maxis were to ever overhaul the creature stage in a future xpac, I would hope that they implement drink as a secondary need. Then they could expand this concept to include need for mating, companionship, home, elimination of waste, aggression, etc.

The game should force you to model the behavior of an animal, while leaving you to decide how to do so. As it is now, you can complete the entire creature stage in one generation. It'd be extremely difficult, but possible.
I think fish drown when they are knocked unconscious or pierced through the lung.

Offline Ichthyostega

• Rally-X Roadster
  • Behold! The fanhorn from the planet Snaiad.
    • View Profile
    • Ichthyostegland
« Reply #409 on: July 01, 2009, 03:12:02 pm »
That would be good, but what if you want to make a creature who isn't as social? You could be a carnivorous worm-like creature that slithers about and attacks anything that passes it sight, and is only social when mating?

I feel like you should be able to play however you like, and however you played the creature, it will act the same way in other people's games.

But should a Creature Stage expansion pack be made, the one thing I'm really looking foreward to is an actual ecology. I don't care if it is rather simple, I want my ecology and feel like I'm playing a nature simulator.
Ichthyostega

Offline Beastosaurus

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Heeeeeeeeres Beasty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 01, 2009, 06:16:00 pm »
Yeah, I had to kinda cut that post off due to IRL reasons.  :P

I was going to expand it, saying that perhaps the creature editor could include a personality editor that follows your creature to the Sporepedia.

But we need to keep our expectations for what can be  added to a creature consistently across games low. The method Maxis uses for storing creature data is very ingenious, but there is only so much room available.

If we want exact replication of personality, sexual dimorphism, life cycles, etc. we're going to get shot by the hype monster again.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 02, 2009, 05:13:06 pm »
Yes, I agree. I find it strange that your creatures never need to drink. If Maxis were to ever overhaul the creature stage in a future xpac, I would hope that they implement drink as a secondary need. Then they could expand this concept to include need for mating, companionship, home, elimination of waste, aggression, etc.

The game should force you to model the behavior of an animal, while leaving you to decide how to do so. As it is now, you can complete the entire creature stage in one generation. It'd be extremely difficult, but possible.
Egg-munching. Nothing difficult at all.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Ichthyostega

• Rally-X Roadster
  • Behold! The fanhorn from the planet Snaiad.
    • View Profile
    • Ichthyostegland
« Reply #412 on: July 04, 2009, 09:19:18 pm »
  • Vehicles should attack with more than just missles and lasers.
  • Creatures who are set to pick up grenades should actually throw them at enemies.
Ichthyostega

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #413 on: July 06, 2009, 09:37:49 pm »

I have a game i played where i never evolved my creature once. So i have a Maxis pre-made microbe in space.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #414 on: July 06, 2009, 09:45:31 pm »
Wow, that must have been the one time when spore put up a decent challenge.  Wouldn't it be pretty much impossible to do as an herbivore?

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 06, 2009, 09:57:07 pm »

I have a game i played where i never evolved my creature once. So i have a Maxis pre-made microbe in space.

You did that too? Tribe was a pain in the rear, wasn't it?

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #416 on: July 06, 2009, 10:03:58 pm »
Wow, that must have been the one time when spore put up a decent challenge.  Wouldn't it be pretty much impossible to do as an herbivore?

Didn't really matter i just kept eating eggs in space phase since without parts you can't fight or do social. And being limbless sucks in tribal phase.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 07, 2009, 03:58:45 am »

I was going to do that but never got around to it.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #418 on: July 08, 2009, 02:45:19 pm »

I was going to do that but never got around to it.

The sad part is you can't share it since you never edit it.

gec05

« Reply #419 on: July 24, 2009, 10:51:03 am »
Needed Fixes for Patch 5.1:

-Remove bug that causes creature's heads to distort when turning left or right.
-Remove bug that disables tab rotation on objects when over water.
-Add other formats to export 3D models other than Collada. May I suggest Blender since it's free?