Author Topic: I have rediscovered the Joys of spore.  (Read 44732 times)

Offline Insani99999

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
I have rediscovered the Joys of spore.
« on: November 02, 2009, 05:36:33 am »
Okay, so it's been weeks of doing just attempting an adventure, then maybe quitting or retrying to finish playing it, or making a few creatures then quitting.

I was randomly making a few creations, and I thought to myself, "Hey, maybe I'll start Cell stage, and play around through the Creature Stage for an hour or two."

I went through Cell Stage using the Adddna cheat code to make an overpowered Cell brute. The thing that annoys me is when I am floatin' around, and I see Cell using the HIDDEN CELL EDITOR PARTS. >:(

I got to Creature Stage, Annihilating almost every race I saw, (No cheats used, if I remember correctly.). I ended up seeing 2 epics, both of them being creatures I made. I ended up allying two Rogues, (Sadly only one of them made it to the Tribe Stage.).

Alright, so In the Tribe stage I was casually gaining food, and when the enemy Raids started coming, I was like D:< and destroyed the enemy base right after I defeated the Raid. I was so FOCUSED on gaining food, If they hadn't attacked me I probably would have spent HOURS on this one stage, gaining food. (I ended up Allying one of them, just for the heck of it.)

In the city stage, I annihilated the 3 starter bases, and ended up saving one of them as an Economic City.
I decided to try to Aim for an Economic-Based win, so I ended up Buying most of the cities after that. (Except maybe two, which I Air-Spammed.) I was SO close to getting to Diplomatic, but right before I could buy the last city, he Surrendered so I was stuck as Military.  >:(

In Space Stage, I did 2 Beam-Down missions, Set up a few colonies, allied a race, then Exited Spore.

All in all, a Fun 5 hours of my life, I enjoyed every stage.

Offline Grazony

• Simon Belmont
  • I am not spying on you.
    • View Profile
Re: I have rediscovered the Joys of spore.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 07:15:08 am »
I have to say I did rediscovered the joys of Spore as welland have play it though the creature(used evoadvantage cheat), tribal, civ, and the beginning of the space stage, but I haven't had anytime to play it lately. Stupid college classes.

Maybe the reason I rediscovered it was because I broke my ankle? :P

You'll never know why.
<_< ¯\[ ◕O ◕]/¯ >_>
Son, I have seen some unbelievable things in my time, but I have never seen a Texan with a robotic chainsaw fist kill a gun-slinging dinosaur by punching it in the head. ~The Soldier

Offline Insani99999

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 04:09:59 pm »
I literally was focused on gaining food in the tribe stage, and I only ended up destroying other villages because they tried to Raid me / Steal my food. I probably would have played for an extra hour if it wasn't for them. xD

Offline ilovespore

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 11:35:08 am »
I love spore because there is no better game out there and i have a spaceship and over 30 planets where i get spice and sell it to make even more money
i have saved alot of money already but i am going to get more money so i am ready to attack the space aleins to get to the middle of the map

Spore is a great game anyone who ays it isnt is kind of stupid in my iopinion

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 12:08:03 pm »
Oh god, we have another me.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 11:35:58 am »
Spore is alright, but it's not, and I quote:

I love spore because there is no better game out there and i have a spaceship and over 30 planets where i get spice and sell it to make even more money
i have saved alot of money already but i am going to get more money so i am ready to attack the space aleins to get to the middle of the map

Spore is a great game anyone who ays it isnt is kind of stupid in my iopinion

It's an average game, Garrysmod has way more freedom, Half life 2 will still be amazing and Modern Warfare 2 has, personally speaking, the best cinemagraphics.
the real saviour of this forum

gec05

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 01:09:20 pm »
Too bad he's a deceptive alt troll Plank. :P

*brandishes banhammer*

Offline Eagle

• Donkey Kong King
  • I AM SO FASHIONABLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 01:59:36 pm »
Who is behind this tomfoolery?
I am bloody FASHIONABLE eagle!1!

gec05

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 02:35:34 pm »
Someone who doesn't deserve the attention. Now let's continue with the topic.

Offline Grazony

• Simon Belmont
  • I am not spying on you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 02:37:41 pm »
IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!

Anyway, I cannot seem to stop playing GA lately. I don't know if that counts as here, but its improve my creativity a bit. :P

You'll never know why.
<_< ¯\[ ◕O ◕]/¯ >_>
Son, I have seen some unbelievable things in my time, but I have never seen a Texan with a robotic chainsaw fist kill a gun-slinging dinosaur by punching it in the head. ~The Soldier

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 11:37:01 am »
I'm glad I'm not the only one getting back into it... though I was sort of guilt-tripped into it when people were asking why I'd stopped making stuff. I never considered anything I did good enough that people might miss it when it was gone...

I'm enjoying making an adventure and painstakingly putting ambient sounds and NPCs here, there and everywhere. Although I know if anyone can't complete the adventure they'll just downrate it right away, never mind all the effort that goes into it. :P

It's easier than making a LittleBigPlanet level, at least, which I got recently but consistently cause my levels to collapse on themselves within.  ::)
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 04:55:54 pm »
I got back into it for a while, but then I just got LF4D2, so that killed my enthusiasm.
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 10:53:12 am »
Started to play again. I built up a creature and jumped straight in to space as a Wanderer. Last time I played the GA adventures were downright painful, but now the content is better. I've only had one mission that was unplayable. One thing I've noticed now is that the Missionista Badge takes a lot longer to get, as do the Gopher badges since there is a lot more variety. (so I still don't have the full-heal repair packs for my ship)

Finally found SOL as well. Once I put the Grox in their place I'll take it over.

Still a fun game, but I have been away for many months.

-Lego

gec05

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 10:59:53 am »
I still like making adventures. I never play the space stage, but I love creating all these adventure/platformer games.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 06:33:39 pm »
I still like making adventures. I never play the space stage, but I love creating all these adventure/platformer games.

You need to make more Beyon City adventures! I love them to death!

gec05

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 08:24:38 pm »
Well I can't run the game anymore. Uninstalled Windows since I was running out of hard drive space on the Mac. Now I have nothing to run the game on anymore. So you're out of luck Hydro.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 08:43:29 pm »
What? Spore runs on my mac just fine. It's not pirated, either.

gec05

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 10:12:35 pm »
But my Mac is older than yours. It doesn't have the graphics chip like the current ones do.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 05:17:12 am »
Well I can't run the game anymore. Uninstalled Windows since I was running out of hard drive space on the Mac. Now I have nothing to run the game on anymore. So you're out of luck Hydro.

Nuuuuuuuuuu!

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 06:31:32 am »
But my Mac is older than yours. It doesn't have the graphics chip like the current ones do.
Oh. That's too bad.

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 09:24:12 am »
Its nice to see that reception to Spore isn't overwhelmingly negative.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 12:43:29 pm »
The game has it's own merrits, but the problem is, it's like they told us about a fake game, sence Spore is almost the exact opposite of what we were expecting it to be, from what the devs told people. Don't get me wrong, shooting overpowered 2 foot tall red guy remakes on a lava planet filled with poo-shaped rocks is fun, but I would have liked a damned plant editor before Galactic Adventures.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 12:53:44 pm »
Just going from your paragraph "Galactic Adventures" sounds a lot cooler thab "planet editor" the wikipedia page isn't that in-depth on the fandom, so. A quick question why the friction?

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 01:02:57 pm »
Plant editor.

Even though there is technically a plant editor in the game. Its just a glitchy piece of **** that doesn't work.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 02:18:24 pm »
So you're forsaking the inspiration for this entire comunity, over vegtables?

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 02:34:38 pm »
You misunderstand. It's reprisentative of all the features that they said would be from the start of the development, ever since E3 '05. That includes a tool editor, dancting, producural verbs, a water stage, defending eggs while they hatch, a hut editor, less cartoony experiance, realistic looking ecosystems, non-nesting centred gameplay. The way it was shown from the pre-release demonstrations that it was damn near an evolution similator at it's most basic and a procedural world at it's best. Now, compare these expectations with what the game turned out to be. It may seem touchy and harsh, but this forum was founded back in those optimistic days and it continued to have that mindset when the game was finally released.

The spore we got was not the insperation for this community, it was the one we didn't get that inspired it. And SecuRom didn't help either.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 03:14:24 pm »
You misunderstand. It's reprisentative of all the features that they said would be from the start of the development, ever since E3 '05. That includes a tool editor, dancting, producural verbs, a water stage, defending eggs while they hatch, a hut editor, less cartoony experiance, realistic looking ecosystems, non-nesting centred gameplay. The way it was shown from the pre-release demonstrations that it was damn near an evolution similator at it's most basic and a procedural world at it's best. Now, compare these expectations with what the game turned out to be. It may seem touchy and harsh, but this forum was founded back in those optimistic days and it continued to have that mindset when the game was finally released.

The spore we got was not the insperation for this community, it was the one we didn't get that inspired it. And SecuRom didn't help either.
Exactly. They said it would be in, just like a ton of over features, then screwed us over.

Procedural actions especially.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 03:34:41 pm »
So you got your hopes up early, gained unrealistic expectations based on a unfinished and still very prototypal game, and then got upset when it wasn't the messiah game you hyped it up to be? Figures. Happens a lot when games show previews so long before release, your fandom counts their chickens before they hatch and by the time the real thing shows up the fandoms views are so skewed by years of mystification that its impossible to please their naturally impossible demands. It quite a tradgedy, almost operatic.

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2010, 04:22:56 pm »
Unrealistic expectation? Not at all. maybe 15 years ago, but not with the tech of today. It was lazy and dumbed down.
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2010, 04:52:30 pm »
Says you. Maxis is a company like any other, and a company's primary focus is profit. They knew what was riding on the game, and they knew what they stood to gain and lose. They did the best they could a probably just fell in the "realist rot." When a project is just an idea, it’s young and full of brilliant life, but the final product is never as good as the imagination, as reality sets in the dream has to be grounded to fit reality, the problem is what you say at E3 '05 was the dream, not the reality, thus you became affixed to the dream and so when reality showed itself, you fell back. The same happens in marriages, elections and immigrations. I'm not shifting all blame from maxis, they should  have known never to get the fans hopes up when the game was at such an unfinished stage, from what I've seen, E3 05 wasn’t even  real game play, just a cinematic. Likewise the fans should have known never to put so much hope into what feasibly wouldn’t be possible. The same thing happened to the Space Program, it’s everybody’s fault and its nobody’s fault we just have to learn to move on, enjoy what we got, and work to push forward.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2010, 06:41:32 pm »
Spore was okay, but the Second Coming couldn't live up to the hype it was given. It was a slightly below-average game, that was given to us as the best game ever.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2010, 07:15:14 pm »
It was given to you as the best game ever because you took it as the best game ever. Disappointment is a two-way streak, Maxis should have given the review later in development when they KNEW what they could produce, and the fandom should have known that it wouldn't be that good even if it DID contain all the bells and whistles that logically could not have been put in at that early of a point. It was a big cluster **** but that doesn’t mean we should spend our time belly aching over it like we're on goddamn Doctor Phil. Grow up already!
Wow. That got ranty.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2010, 07:39:51 pm »
Just because some took it as the best game ever doesn't cover the fact the game's quality was only decent, even to those who hadn't heard of it before picking it up.
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2010, 08:04:35 pm »
Yes its a good game and JUST a good game. The only "disappointment" is from those who thought of it to be something higher, and maxis is to blame for breeding the situation where the fans could act so irrationally. They're both to blame here.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2010, 11:57:54 pm »
I would actually say that releasing a shallow game with skeletal mechanics and little to no variation outside of arbitrary swap-outs is more to blame than having too high an expectation. There was hype, but years before it was released, people were saying "hope for the greatest, but expect the mediocre". Spore as a game is bad, but as a creation-tool distraction it is alright. It is very much like the sims, in that its mechanics are 'skeletal' to the point of being pretty transparent, only Spore doesn't have nearly the amount of variation or distractions that the sims does. A simple task in the sims, with a little playing, because obvious to us. If we want something, we know how to get it, but we would enjoy the journey of getting there, and find amusing distractions and entertaining happenstance on the way. In Spore, the journey part has nothing to it.

They tried to do too much at once, and forgot to flesh it out. Imagine the sims where every interaction would only result in three to four responses, and they were reused for every interaction. The magic just wouldn't be there, would it? The sims really worked because on top of the streamlined cut-down game system, was a vibrant, colourful setting with lots of personality. Spore had only a little of that, and it always claimed to be a vast, personal experience. It could have worked, but it just... didn't. Oh well.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2010, 01:20:12 am »
So you got your hopes up early, gained unrealistic expectations based on a unfinished and still very prototypal game, and then got upset when it wasn't the messiah game you hyped it up to be? Figures.
Strawman argument much?

Nobody really expected Spore to be the best game ever, except for some nutjobs. Everybody knew, that it wouldn't be as indepth as people wanted it to be.

I would make a list of reasons as to why Spore is a shallow game, but this has been discussed in detail on this forum for several times already...
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2010, 10:24:58 am »

So you got your hopes up early, gained unrealistic expectations based on a unfinished and still very prototypal game, and then got upset when it wasn't the messiah game you hyped it up to be? Figures.

I never said I expected it to be the second comming. I said I wanted to see something similar to the game we saw over 4 years ago. And don't pull out that "Oh the demos were all scripted anyway!" arguement, the ideas were there, they just never put the good ones in the game. They just, for some only-god-knows reason, were kicked out.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2010, 11:48:18 am »
They weren't "kicked out" they were never there to begin with. What you saw at E3 was a prototype, a rough draft, a dream of course it was better than reality because that's what dreams are. That video was made over three years before the game came out, it didn't reflect what they could do, it showed what they wanted to do. As time went on they slowly realized what they could and couldn't put in based on a realist explanation. Its like as a little kid, you say you want to be president or a spaceman or something, as the cold hard reality of politcs and space training sets in you ground your dreams to fit what is possible. I'm sorry to say it, but whar you saw at E3 was a fantasy, and there was no way it could compare to the real thing. They should have known not to reveal it so soon, and youi should of known not to place such faith into something so fleeting.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2010, 12:17:25 pm »
I'd like to be the first to resort to the "You wern't there man!" arguement.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2010, 05:17:03 pm »
Lush, you're overlooking the fact that the main of the game is right there, the system that lets you create your customisable doodads as you go along. What is really lacking is the interactivity part, and that doesn't take a revelation in gaming. Especially when they went through making three main sims titles and expansion packs. They know how to add the distractions and entertaining 'meat', but they just... didn't. You can pretty much count the number of events that occur in each stage on your two hands, with the only blank being which pieces of content it pulls randomly into an individual game (though the reactions and behaviour are completely the same), whereas in any one sims game, whilst you can learn the ins and outs and memorise the system, the things you can do and the reactions you get, are far superior. The sims worked, because it had variety, and it had things to explore, things to do, thinks to work for. Spore doesn't work, because it simply doesn't have that padding. Simulations will always be fluff pulled over underlying mechanics, but being able to do more in a phase than pointlessly pick up and put down a shell, or do a mexican dance in exactly the same way fifteen million other different species did... that may have been nice. :P

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2010, 06:47:26 pm »
but being able to do more in a phase than pointlessly pick up and put down a shell, or do a Mexican dance in exactly the same way fifteen million other different species did... that may have been nice. :P

yea, you really cant add any personality or individuality to your creatures (which I know they can do: sims3 did this to an extent, and a large number of RPG's do this all the time). for a game touting free creativity, it uses a very one-size fits all approach.

in addition, your creations don't really do much, and that makes them just pictures.
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2010, 07:21:23 pm »
Well then there must have been some reason it came out like it did. Despite what the hippies tell you, companies don't deliberately try to screw over their fanbase. I found it a generally fun game. On terms with Sribblenauts or Little Big Planet. I just don't get the massive Hatedom the game has over here. I guess I just "[wasn't] there man."  :-\

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2010, 07:34:17 pm »
just don't get the massive Hatedom the game has over here. I guess I just "[wasn't] there man."  :-\
You'll find massive "hatedom" for the game all around, it just hit here particularly hard, given the hype that this community was stewing in.
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2010, 07:35:09 pm »
What I don't get is why people keep going back to this subject. Before the game was even launched we would have people going on and on and on about how we're overhyping it, when our spore forum came down -very- hard on people who overspeculated or overhyped, to the point of moderators often having to get regulars to lay off. We even had some shmuck in here telling us in full seriousness about how to 'move on with life' and deal with rejection and disappointment before the game was even released. There isn't a hatedom here, just old memories and some disappointment. You're pointing at demons that aren't there.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2010, 07:45:52 pm »
We even had some shmuck in here telling us in full seriousness about how to 'move on with life' and deal with rejection and disappointment before the game was even released.

You have got to link me to that. And no hatedom? Seriously?

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2010, 08:07:42 pm »
Yes, an uncalled for thread. That isn't really equivilent to "hatedom". People will grumble about being let down, but that isn't the same as kneejerk abject seething lynchmob, heh. You'll notice the people who make such threads generally make more than one, and are rather outspoken. It gives an illusion of people caring, when most people rolled their eyes, had a grumble and moved on already. :P

And i'm not much of an archivist, i'd say use the search bar but I wouldn't even know what to search for. There were plenty of threads like that prior to the release though.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2010, 08:10:27 pm »
Meh. Well then lets get thos back on track, you have any Spore "rediscoveries?"

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2010, 10:19:32 pm »
Well, I personally like Spore. It's not even close to the game that we were told about* but it's still a good time-waster. If i hadn't been following it for 3 years before it came out, i would probably barely remember that it existed. But I think it's fun to be able to go around the galaxy and explore, and it does feel good to grow a tiny bacteria into a spacefaring empire. I've seen a lot of topics saying that this was essentially the worst game ever released, but I feel different. It was disappointing, yeah, but still good.

*i remember one video in particular his creature was walking around a very lush and diverse world, and creatures would actually approach him and all acted in a different way. He was attacked by a small animal that he explained would call its pack to take you down in an intelligent way. it looked like he was interacting with the world, instead of trying to beat it, which is basically all you can do in the final product. Does anyone know what video I'm talking about?

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2010, 11:26:18 pm »
So do I, In GA, if only I could connect rocks and stuff to props. Then I could make the universe's first Photosapult!
*Pictures full-armour Photos going flying through the air, then landing on the dirt with a dust clound 60 feet away*

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2010, 11:52:04 pm »
To infinity and beyond!  ;D

Yeah, that would have been awesome.  :)

Does anyone know what video I'm talking about?

The one with the Creature Stage Screeble living on a peninsula?

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2010, 08:40:12 am »
Does anyone know what video I'm talking about?

The one with the Creature Stage Screeble living on a peninsula?

yeah i'm pretty sure that's the one. God that got me excited...

EDIT: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7568551350470142686#

That's the video, i think. haven't watched it yet but i'm gonna
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 08:46:24 am by 762 »

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2010, 03:13:04 am »
Believe it or not but over the last few weeks I have actually been enjoying Spore. I have been making adventures and even revisiting old games to try to get the achievements. I am not sure why but its not as bad as i remember it being last time I played it.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2010, 12:23:03 am »
I never found the game to be bad, except for tribal which really was nothing worth looking at  I guess Civ was very basic but I found it ended the moment it got old I mean dead on the minute I got the super i win weapon used it and moved on. So that was perfect length Outside of tribal it wasn't a horrible game and every so often who doesn't like building something.

Given my time all over again I'd have still bought this game (heck only last weekend I got the C&C expansion for this game it was $8 so why not).

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2010, 03:37:16 am »
The Creature Stage sucked totally. It lacked fun, something I think the whole game did, it lacked fun and challenge.
@davidramnero

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2010, 03:49:04 am »
The Creature Stage sucked totally. It lacked fun, something I think the whole game did, it lacked fun and challenge.

Or to cut your story short: It lacked game.

It was basically just editor with a test area.
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2010, 04:26:44 am »
What are you talking about? The CS had the most "game" of all the lower levells.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2010, 04:48:40 am »
What are you talking about? The CS had the most "game" of all the lower levells.
No, that would be the cell stage. And even that grew stale after an hour or so...

gec05

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2010, 10:09:15 am »
The cell stage lived up to all it's expectations given by the GDC'05 video. That's why it's the best stage.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2010, 12:26:25 pm »
The cell stage lived up to all it's expectations given by the GDC'05 video. That's why it's the best stage.

It has nothing to do with the '05 version.* Cell stage was the most fun stage. Period.

All the other stages seemed more like editors with a big test area attached to them, except for the space stage which had its own flaws.

* Following this train of logic you could also say that the tribal stage was the best part, because there were no expectations for it whatsoever. Guess what, it turned out to be the worst of the five stages. (Followed by Civilisation stage, which also didn't have any expectations attached to it due to the lack of demonstrations.)

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2010, 03:18:12 pm »
(Followed by Civilisation stage, which also didn't have any expectations attached to it due to the lack of demonstrations.)
I actually liked the civilization stage. Did you try the economic path? Its completely different from the other two.

Offline Person21

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2010, 04:16:21 pm »
The civ stage was a really basic RTS, but I thought it still managed to be pretty fun, and as Cobra said the "I win" button means it doesn't outstay its welcome. Or maybe I'm just comparing it favourably to the Tribe stage
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2010, 04:31:56 pm »
I think one thing that we can all agree on is that the tribal stage sucked. :D

Looking back on the game, though, the actual thing that made me quit the game was the grinding in space stage. Go to a species, ally them, and you don't have to worry about them again. For me, the game boiled down to terraforming purple spice planets over and over again. Especially once I realized that there was an optimal building configuration, it became the exact same thing every single time.

Offline Person21

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2010, 05:52:08 pm »
Fair Warning: At the time of writing I haven't slept in a few days so can't guarantee my rant will actually be coherent (this is also why I've overused parentheses, as structuring things well enough that I can fit everything in requires brain power, and me no can brain right now), though if you've understood all this, it probably isn't that bad

Honestly, part of me really doesn't want to blame them for messing up the Space Stage, it keeps telling the rest of me that "Too many people wanted to many different things from the Space Stage, some wanted an Exploration game, some wanted 4X, some wanted an Elite Clone, and some people just wanted a sandbox they could play god in".

Then I remember how everyone of those parts taken on their own was completely broken. Exploring was boring, as most planets looked too similar (Plant Editor would have really helped here), just with a pallet swap, or slightly different looking cliffs and hills. Hell, for the most of the early game you only got at peoples creations(You know, the selling point) as little dots before you unlocked the Hologram. And nothing says exciting Space Adventure like the Captain of the Starship being down a Slow Moving Ugly Hologram of himself to observe the natives. But that's pointless as they all do the same thing regardless of the planet you're on (Though, credit were credit is due, I did enjoy watching Civilisations battling for supremacy of the planet like some). If I want to find cool creations people have I'm better off going to the Sporepedia seeing as it's less hassle.
The 4X game was completely broken on release, with the possibility of you being constantly blown to bits because you can't pay your space protection money to the local space Mafia who are all too eager to go on a genocidal Space Jihad against you.

And the game won't even let me play in the Sandbox, as barely(Yes, there are a few, you don't have to remind me about the monolith) anything I do outside of the 4X part of the game has any real impact on the universe. I mess with a few primitives, they get scared, they worship me a little, then they get on with their lives as if just played the Most Dangerous Game with them and a heat ray. No Golden Statues, no sacrificed virgins, no way to assimilate them into my empire(Why is everyone in a Space Nazi anyway, seriously where do the creatures go when you buy all you buy everyone of their planets?). This is the same if I uplifted a species, nothing other than a small bonus to my starting relationship with the Space versions of them. Seriously, I bring you from Apes to Angels and even you get anger when I break the "Galactic Code" no one told me about (The Code makes no sense anyway, Blow up a few uninhabited rocks that are blocking my view of the nicer planets and I'm evil, but hunting sapients with mercilessly with a LASER for fun is OK? Boo-yah, just hit a sobbing mother as she clutches her children to try and comfort them, 150 bonus points!)
Though you could mess with Civs and change the outcome of their wars, which was fun, and is probably the reason I enjoyed messing with Civ Stage creatures so much

Then there was the fact that while playing in the sandbox, the game had an annoying habit of kicking over my sandcastles. Terraforming(Terrasculpting?), is probably the area of Spore that disappointed me the most, seeing as the last time we saw it before release we seen LASERs which would allow us to carefully sculpt a planet to our liking. Now, the cool things we could have done with something like that (Hi person who's thinking "Draw a penis lol") like an idea that I threw around in my head was making something like a chess board, then using creatures to play games of chess (the idea was to use really Steep cliffs between the squares to keep the creatures from moving) and yes, I could have just played chess, but it's so much more fun when you do it god style. Or hell, we could even have just done something silly like write our name in an enemy's homeworld. Spore, however, doesn't quite stop disappointing there it keeps on going like the coal train behind the Santa's Sleigh, as the stupid random craft missile things (Who'd want a game with it's biggest selling point being creating things to actually let you control what's being created?) don't even have the basically random changed they make save properly(did they every fix that by the way?)
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2010, 06:33:02 pm »
I think one thing that we can all agree on is that the tribal stage sucked. :D

I don't know I thought it had some cool things like domesticating animals, the ability to outfit your creature for the first time and  of course being able to use your special abilities.

But yeah they could have done a lot more with this stage. For instance farms, a tool editor, mounted units, tech tree, etc.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2010, 07:17:55 pm »
Well, if EA is at least TRYING to fix Spore through another game (We can all hope DarkSpore fixes SOMETHING, am I right? A tribal phase that isn't downright boring to play? ANYONE? No, just kidding. I myself actually liked the tribal phase when I start it from the main menu. Cell and Creature are fun, but when you go through all that fun just to get to this cheesy little RTS ripoff, it's downright disappointing.), I thing we're being a little preemptive to be tossing it out the window. It was essentially unknown territory for Maxis, and in some ways, EA. Perhaps we just need to be a little more patient with Maxis and EA. While that's a great deal to ask for the people who have been following it sense '05, just keep it in mind. The series may not be on it's dying leg, but rather just off balance for the moment. Weather or not it regains it's balance is up to the producers, however.

Offline Prok

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2010, 12:51:34 pm »
Well we can all hope Darkspore is their next big attempt to get things right, but we have to wait for more info.

I myself actually enjoyed the Tribal Stage somewhat, especially compared to the Civ and Space stage.  In my opinion it was the last good one.  What cheesed me about the later stages was how impersonal and distant you got from the creature you had designed before.  Plus, as you go through the stages, it was as if the editors mattered less and less for gameplay and enjoyable eye candy (culminating in the space stage, at which point your space ship design has absolutely no impact on your ship's features and capabilities, or even the animations).  Galactic Adventures obviously tried to remedy this somewhat, so it was a step in the right direction.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2010, 01:46:23 pm »
Plus, as you go through the stages, it was as if the editors mattered less and less for gameplay and enjoyable eye candy (culminating in the space stage, at which point your space ship design has absolutely no impact on your ship's features and capabilities, or even the animations)
The building editor didn't have any function either. And both the vehicle and outfit editor had many parts that were there just for decoration too. And thinking of it, the sensory organs in creature stage had no function as well...

This is another reason why the cell stage was the best stage: Whenever you made a new cell, it felt as if it actually mattered how you designed your creature. You had to think about where you put your mouth and your spike. All other editors didn't have this sort of decision making. It mattered not one bit where you placed your mouth or the eyes in creature stage. You could basically make a blob with all sorts of random parts attached somewhere and it plays exactly like a creation where you put some thought into. (Though, in all fairness, it's rather hard to implement this sort of thing in 3D compared to 2D.)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2010, 03:37:21 pm »
@Flisch

You make a good point about the eyes. That was one thing they were planning on have matter where diffrent eyes gave a diffrent way to view the world. However that had to be cut. I hope they bring that feature back someday be it a patch or expansion.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2010, 08:06:59 am »
I do think the simplification of the part powers was probably nessart; having to have artistic skills to play seems a little unfair. The music editor in tribe was fun and when I got it, it was entertaining trying to befreind an area filled with crazy hostiles. I died like SO many times.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2010, 09:14:41 am »
I do think the simplification of the part powers was probably nessart; having to have artistic skills to play seems a little unfair.
WTF are you talking about?

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2010, 09:37:58 am »
Lush's like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get.

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2010, 10:15:36 am »
And most of what you get is nuts.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2010, 11:40:01 am »
I said that it would be ufair to the "artistically challenged" to make the performane of your species based on how well designed it was.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2010, 11:46:39 am »
You don't need to be artistic to create a creature that would've worked well in the real world.

All they would've had to do was make it so you could only use charge if your spike was in the right place.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2010, 12:12:43 pm »
And most of what you get is nuts.

Ha!

But yeah, Ry is right.  We're just saying that creatures should preform based on how they are built.  A creature consisting of one 10 foot sphere suspended over a single foot would not be able to move very fast.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline BlagStar

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Blagging your Blag since Blaggity Blag
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2010, 07:34:15 pm »
Bump. Dear god this board is dead, I made this thread a year ago and the last post was a few months ago, yet this is still on the front page.

Anyway, it's kind of happened again. More or less, I'm starting to go creator hungry, this time with a LEGIT version of spore.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2010, 07:44:14 pm »
Ten bucks says that post earns him a ban.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2010, 08:54:29 pm »
You just lost 10 dollars.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2010, 05:35:04 am »
I made this thread a year ago...

Well, that answered quite a lot of my questions.

Why didn't you just use your old account?

Offline BlagStar

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2010, 05:35:53 am »

I forgot which email I used for it. I forgot what my pass was too.

Sooooo...  ::)

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2010, 06:54:54 am »

I forgot which email I used for it.
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?action=profile;u=3892

>_>

Offline BlagStar

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2010, 07:01:37 am »

I forgot which email I used for it.
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?action=profile;u=3892

>_>

That's odd, I remember checking through that one for messages with "Gaming Steve" in them.

I'm going to go cry now.

Offline Phoenix Down

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • Don't feed the plants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2010, 10:24:57 pm »
I've sorta given up on Spore for now.
A Song I Admire:We'll have tomorrow, trust me it's true.  We'll have tomorrow, we'll get through...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2h8AXm9dqo

A Song I Composed:Soon it will be my time...  http://www.mediafire.com/?c6ahalmxbtu625x

Offline BlagStar

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2010, 03:58:55 am »
I decided to start Civilization on my recreation of my first ever creation.

I was economical, conquered the 4 mainland cities (Well, bought) then one nation started trade route with me. I started trading with it (Eco) and another (Rel), but another just wouldn't trade (War). The War conquered the Eco I was trading with, And I started a trade with it. I waited patiently until the cities conquered everyone else (Although I had to give some motivation on one city by buying it and bombing the snot out of another REL city). When the final enemy WAR nation was down, Four cities instantly came under my command.

It would have been quicker to use mass conversion or just actually buy them, but it was more fun this way. Had 250k sporebucks at the end of the game.  ;D

Offline atervirens

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
    • Sporepedia
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2012, 02:30:17 pm »
Here's a post to sum up Spore:
Gameplay:
Terrible/unrealistic creature AI
Basic, cartoon appearance
Unrealistic spawning
Lack of unique features
Highly repetitive
Lack of personality
Programing to make the game progressively harder isn't very successful
Lack of proper tutorial
Virtually nothing accomplished through achieving tasks
Some transitions are beyond stupid
Doesn't follow it's own concept very well
Editors/Outfitters:
Pretty fun to play around with body shape
Manipulation allows for unique appearances, structures, etc
Some level of pride upon creating a satisfactory creation
Manipulators are somewhat limited
Low diversity
Ability management is outright terrible
Most animations are either pretty rubbish or boring
Summary
Pretty much a collaboration of all things that make a terrible game of this type which gets boring quickly and only the editors/outfitters give any sort of appeal, the overall concept was one I found excellent but the way it became corporal just flings it into oblivion and before anyone starts bringing out the flamethrowers, I'm just posting my own thoughts so don't bother with flaming.

For everyone I hate, here are two words to sum up my thoughts on you, "piss off!"

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2012, 04:20:41 pm »
Hi, atervirens!

You'll find that the last post in this thread was in September 2010.

You MAY not want to bump a topic that old next time.

Welcome to the forums, though.

Offline Person21

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2012, 06:09:57 pm »
Yeah. Last thing we need is the Spore Forum being cluttered with old threads.

Offline labixiaoxin

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
wholesale sexy clothes
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2014, 07:42:55 pm »
For most sexy clothes dealers and shopkeepers, there are too many choices among online suppliers and manufacturers. But which is the professional core supplier? Dear-Lover specialized in manufacture and wholesale sexy clothes, lingerie from 2007 and has annual turnover of one hundred million. Believe in top brand and its value.
sexy clothes
wholesale women's clothes
wholesale swimwear