Poll

DS or PSP?

DS
69 (71.9%)
PSP
27 (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Author Topic: DS or PSP - The Poll  (Read 17011 times)

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
Re: DS or PSP - The Poll
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2005, 11:04:32 pm »
I vote DS. PSP games are really just watered down ports of PS2 games, which I already have.

Offline Pando

• Spy Hunter Spook
  • panda? yes please
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2005, 12:17:22 pm »
DS has well watered down ports as well.
PSP and DS

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2005, 12:30:44 pm »
DS has well watered down ports as well.

Yeah, you can't call Super Mario DS an original game.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Pando

• Spy Hunter Spook
  • panda? yes please
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2005, 12:41:31 pm »
Did I say all games were ports?

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2005, 12:42:35 pm »
Super Mario 64 DS was a great game, in my opinion. It was actually an upgraded port! (Since it was an N64 game.)

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2005, 02:48:00 pm »
I think a lot of people mistake new games in a series for ports. Burnout: Legends isn't a port (on the PSP any way), Wipeout Pure isn't a port, Ridge Racer isn't a port, GTA:LCS isn't a port. If those were ports then there would be a lot of ports on the DS to, and Nintendo have been known for making ports for their handhelds before the DS. Saying the PSP is a port platform is ignorant because it isn't. Sure you can get a lot of the series on consoles to, but a handheld platform is almost meant for that, playing your favorite series on the go. Most of the people who know about games that I have shown my PSP to, have almost always asked the question if you can get games from other platforms on the PSP, because they know those games and want to play them on the go.
At least with the PSP, the games that are ported can actually be good unlikely some of the most recent ones on the DS, *cough* King Kong*cough*Burnout*cough*.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2005, 11:19:08 pm »
DS - cuz it has a good selection of good games!

The only ones that would interest me on the PSP are Wipeout Pure and Lumines.  ...and what is up with TWO-HUNDRED-FIFTY freaking dollars?!?!  Call me again when it's $150 or less.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2005, 01:31:15 am »
I think a lot of people mistake new games in a series for ports. Burnout: Legends isn't a port (on the PSP any way), Wipeout Pure isn't a port, Ridge Racer isn't a port, GTA:LCS isn't a port. If those were ports then there would be a lot of ports on the DS to, and Nintendo have been known for making ports for their handhelds before the DS. Saying the PSP is a port platform is ignorant because it isn't. Sure you can get a lot of the series on consoles to, but a handheld platform is almost meant for that, playing your favorite series on the go. Most of the people who know about games that I have shown my PSP to, have almost always asked the question if you can get games from other platforms on the PSP, because they know those games and want to play them on the go.
At least with the PSP, the games that are ported can actually be good unlikely some of the most recent ones on the DS, *cough* King Kong*cough*Burnout*cough*.

It's called the port system because some games that you've mentioned, such as GTA:LCS, basically are ports (I know that GTA:LCS is a new game, but it's pretty much GTA III)

I think that the two systems are meant for different people. I like my DS because even when I'm not on the go, I can still enjoy experiences I can't get anywhere else but on the DS. However, if I traveled more (And I'm going to be flying a LOT from next year on out) than I would love to have a PSP to play my favorite PS2 games on the go.

What the PSP really needs is some really good exclusive titles (This doesn't count Death Jr.). Titles that are great, but only for PSP.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2005, 10:34:06 am »
That may be, but then the DS could also be called a port system, since there are many games that have little to no difference from previous games in that games series. Advanced Wars: Dual Strike, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrows, Animal Crossing: Wild Worlds, and other big DS games don't really need any of the new DS features for them to play.

Oh I agree, the PSP and DS are for different people.

PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2005, 12:01:55 pm »
That may be, but then the DS could also be called a port system, since there are many games that have little to no difference from previous games in that games series. Advanced Wars: Dual Strike, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrows, Animal Crossing: Wild Worlds, and other big DS games don't really need any of the new DS features for them to play.

Oh I agree, the PSP and DS are for different people.

True, those arte basically ports, but then there are also games like Nintendogs, and Meteos, that are completly different and unique to the DS system.

Ports arent't always a bad thing, I dont want my DS to be too different (Though too many ports sucks too).

The bad part about DS ports is that they can also be severly watered down (Burnout, King Kong, ect.)

Offline mini.boss

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2005, 01:15:21 pm »
I think the whole "ports are a negative" argument is the weakest one possible for the PSP.

Its completely hypocritical when DS fanboys use it because the best games on the DS are ports/updates of classic title. Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Castlevania, Advance Wars, Sonic, Viewtiful Joe, Tony Hawk. If ports were such a "bad" thing then why are these games so great? Why is it so awesome to have classic mario and zelda games on GBA? Its because good games become even better when you can pull it out of your pocket.

Sony's problem isnt that its created a port machine. Their problem is that they released a system at a bad time in gaming. Sure, the consumer welcomes a high end portable gaming machine. But it seems that due to the Next-Gen being so close, the developers (including Sony themselves) have half-a$$ed their software. So many quality titles turned out to be merely "passable" and that doesnt make you very confident. Sure, its early in the PSP's life so things can change but with all the momentum they had going into this thing they really dropped the ball so far.

I sold my DS to buy a PSP. ANd sold my PSP to get 2 DS's and now i couldnt be happier. Games are 10-15 cheaper, as a casual gamer i'm enjoying the titles they offer much more. Nostalgic "ports" are definitely what i look to portable gaming for and the DS is providing it. I'll buy a PSP again when they make parappa for it. :D

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2005, 01:53:18 pm »

True, those arte basically ports, but then there are also games like Nintendogs, and Meteos, that are completly different and unique to the DS system.

Of course, but the PSP isn't without unique games either.

Ports arent't always a bad thing, I dont want my DS to be too different (Though too many ports sucks too).

Ports are a good thing, it allows as many people as possible to play a certain games, and some might even be better for the system their are ported to. Most mutiplatform games are developed for the PS 2 first, and then ported to other systems. However since the PS 2 isn't as powerfull as the other systems, the other systems versions often look better. In the PSP case, it is nice to take GTA or Burnout on the go. I was to a Christmas lunch (I don't know how else to translate it) yesterday, and it was over 4 hours away from my home, and I didn't get home until today (I stayed overnight by my grandma). So it was nice to be able to play my PSP instead of just sitting and looking out in the air.

The bad part about DS ports is that they can also be severly watered down (Burnout, King Kong, ect.)

That is one of the reasons why I believe the PSP may have the upper hand on the DS, it can handle console ports.

Offline uber fragger

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2006, 12:33:49 am »

Of course, but the PSP isn't without unique games either.

Ports are a good thing, it allows as many people as possible to play a certain games, and some might even be better for the system their are ported to. Most mutiplatform games are developed for the PS 2 first, and then ported to other systems. However since the PS 2 isn't as powerfull as the other systems, the other systems versions often look better. In the PSP case, it is nice to take GTA or Burnout on the go. I was to a Christmas lunch (I don't know how else to translate it) yesterday, and it was over 4 hours away from my home, and I didn't get home until today (I stayed overnight by my grandma). So it was nice to be able to play my PSP instead of just sitting and looking out in the air.

That is one of the reasons why I believe the PSP may have the upper hand on the DS, it can handle console ports.

For an average gamer who wants madden or the sims or whatever (something on every platform) it would be great to get it for the PSP because the games look a ton better on the PSP and most dont really take advantage of the DSes unique features.

Ports also helped the Xbox when it came out after the PS2, although the PSP needs some new games as in nothing from the consoles, something completely new like Tokobot (sp?) or Lumines but something that can appeal to more people.  Plus the PSP has tons of potential building up, some truly great games will better come out next year.  Online games better start improving to like xmen and SOCOM now.  Like untold ledgens and maybe field commander (i can hope :)).  As long as nintendo keeps pumping out great games for their system, Sony will need to stay one step ahead.  Like the mic for the PSP and maybe a firmware allowing homebrew or a central online network or something.  They should stop focusing on the media seeing how the PSP won dominate the mobile video or music market the wasy Sony want it to (unless they give it a hard drive or maybe make a umd burner but that would kill the battery).

Offline Shoki

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2006, 07:36:06 pm »
I couldn't get my xbox 360 so while I wait for more to ship
and for Oblivion to come out I picked up a DS.
I never really played Gamboy, Gameboy Color,
or Gameboy Advanced and I haven't played much
Nintendo since the N64 so the DS games and the
GBA games while ports to most of you guys are really
fresh and new for me. I am digging it.
Most of that time I owned a PS2
(2 of which broke) and an xbox.
So the PSP games are really been there just done that.

Been renting a bunch of games from GameFly.
http://www.gamefly.com/ds/
http://www.gamefly.com/gba/

I currently own:
MarioKart DS
Animal Crossing
Advance Wars DS
Metroid Pinball
Kirby Canvas Curse
Bombeman DS
Nintendogs
Meteos
Final Fantasy IV GBA
Rebelstar Tactical Command GBA
Zelda The Minish Cap GBA
Fire Emblem Sacred Stones GBA

Check out:
http://www.snackbar-games.com/gbacovers.php
you can get DS cases for cheap at
===>NintendoStore<===
Then you can have all your GBA games in cool DS cases.

--------------------
Nintendo DS WiFi
x360 for the rest of us...
ACWW 4123 7806 8864
MKDS 1289 0931 4237
--Shoki
--------------------

Offline redsox33

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2006, 09:23:47 pm »
i have to say psp cause of the multimedia purposes
psp gigapack- untold legends, twisted metal, mlb, socom(redsox33), sims2, ssx, bf2, harry potter
xbox(360 soon) xbl tag- agrlnabikini
games i play on live: halo2, COD2 BRO, DF:BHD
WOW soon