Author Topic: Icon Artist Request  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
Icon Artist Request
« on: October 11, 2008, 12:42:34 pm »
Perhaps the exchange might also be a good place to post this... but here's the deal...

The following folders in "My Documents" are Spore related but they look boring and normal. I tried to make my own icons to look like the Sporepedia-ish blue theme (blue folders with symbols relating to their functions) but I'm not really an icon artist. Do we have anyone out there wanting to make some? Mac users have a nifty Spore theme now.

My Spore Creations
    AnimatedAvatars
    Buildings
    Cells
    CityMusic
    Creatures
    Movies
    Pictures
    Plants
    UFOs
    Vehicles

'course I'm also still using XP (so I want less shiny icons). Anyone understand what I'm talking about or should I go back to doodling like a crazy person in the corner?

Offline DylanTK

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Icon Artist Request
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 12:09:33 pm »
This sounds like a fun idea.. I'm working on them now..  :D
I have XP too, so no worries about compatibility.

Edit: Okay... I've finished them.. Here's a preview of what they look like. Anyone who wants them, please let me know and I'll send the file to you via email. Distribute as you please from there. Because I made them with Windows XP in mind, I cannot guarantee they'll work with your computer if you have something else.

For most of the icons I used the Sporepedia  category tabs, but there is obviously no such tabs for avatars, movies, and pictures. So, I went into the Creature Test Drive mode and took a screenshot of those icons, then edited them to make them match the others as closely as I could. They ended up having a slightly sharper appearance. This is because the person at Maxis who drew the Sporepedia buttons had originally made them larger then re-sized them for the game. This unfortunately decreases the quality of the graphic.. I considered doing a deliberate quality reduction to match the others even more closely, but decided the difference wasn't large enough to bother..  :D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 01:29:20 pm by DylanTK »

Offline Tobias

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 03:48:36 pm »
You didn't do a bad job at all, I would use those.  Well done.
Earth has been a lovely place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live here.

Offline DylanTK

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 09:16:43 am »
heh.. Thanks. For the short time it took me to make them, I think they're fairly good. It was a fun little project, at the very least.

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 12:22:53 pm »
Perfect! Mine were pixelated, I'm just not very good! I'm at school (college right now) but when I get home I'll have to apply these to my desk top computer! Thank you so much!

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 12:36:37 pm »
Really cool project and icons, Dylan.  How do I get them to replace the folders though?

*poses like thinker*

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline DylanTK

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 02:27:54 pm »
Really cool project and icons, Dylan.  How do I get them to replace the folders though?

*poses like thinker*

Well, first I'd have to send them to you via email... No need to post it here, as you can see mine is unhidden on this board [under my avatar picture]. Just send me an email and I'll send you the files. After that, download and unzip them to a safe place you can remember. Go into your My Spore Creations folder, and right-click on of the folders. Select Properties from the drop down menu. After the new window pops up, hit the Customize tab, and towards the bottom of that, you'll see a button that says Change Icon... from there you'll just have to browse the files and locate where you put them while unzipping, then select the appropriate one. Hit OK to save all changes and repeat with the other folders. If you have anymore questions, just email them to me and I'll do what I can to answer.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 02:30:13 pm by DylanTK »