Author Topic: Wheels going backwards (Solved! Video Tutorial Added)  (Read 1821 times)

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
Wheels going backwards (Solved! Video Tutorial Added)
« on: September 17, 2008, 12:36:25 am »
Is there some way to change the direction that wheels run?

I've found that if I put a wheel facing inwards rather than outwards it ends up running backwards.

Edit:
There is a way to do it.
Here's a video I made showing how to do it:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX3Ifw8ANSY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX3Ifw8ANSY</a>

The simple answer is this:
Wheels will keep running in the same direction relative to the part they're attached to even if you rotate that part.

Here's a vehicle I made that does it:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 08:26:47 am by spiritofcat »

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
Re: Wheels going backwards
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 12:48:04 am »
This is the 3rd thread I've seen like this. There is no way to change animations. You'll have to suspend you're disbelieve just as I do. Yes, it would be nice if Weapon Animations were tied to the weapons used. Yes, it would be nice if the game could figure out that treads and wheels are suppose to go forward when rotated. However it's not going to happen anytime soon because those require new animations to be authored... for nearly each possible manipulation of each weapon/tire/jet/tread. That is A LOT of work. It's not going to happen.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 12:54:42 am »
This is the 3rd thread I've seen like this. There is no way to change animations. You'll have to suspend you're disbelieve just as I do. Yes, it would be nice if Weapon Animations were tied to the weapons used. Yes, it would be nice if the game could figure out that treads and wheels are suppose to go forward when rotated. However it's not going to happen anytime soon because those require new animations to be authored... for nearly each possible manipulation of each weapon/tire/jet/tread. That is A LOT of work. It's not going to happen.
You're right about some of them being difficult, but changing the directions of wheels would be easy. It would be simply a matter of playing the animation in reverse.

Offline Bellum

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 12:57:43 am »
Probably at the bottom of the priority list, seeing as you can't even see the difference in practice.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 01:00:04 am »
You're right about some of them being difficult, but changing the directions of wheels would be easy. It would be simply a matter of playing the animation in reverse.

Yes, except you have to account for all sort of weird positions you can put stuff, and what if you wanted to make a vehicle that looked like it was stuck in reverse, just like I made vehicles that looked like they were stuck upside down. You'd be back to the same problem. You'd need to author the animations for the rest of the stuff, create a new layer to the gui that allows the player to have access to whether the forward or backward animation plays, and than code for it. It may be a simple change, but coding isn't an easy task.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Parkaboy

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 05:08:05 am »
If the whole point of your complaint is that you want to make vehicles with wheels at the center, then check out my Drambon Roller: http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-Parkaboy|2262785743%3Asast-500072826527

If you ake it apart, you see how you can do it without turning the wheels backwards.

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 05:24:21 am »
If the whole point of your complaint is that you want to make vehicles with wheels at the center, then check out my Drambon Roller: http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-Parkaboy|2262785743%3Asast-500072826527

If you ake it apart, you see how you can do it without turning the wheels backwards.
If you read my first post, it's not really a complaint, more just a question, and thanks to you the answer is yes, there is a way to change the direction a wheel runs.
Thanks. That vehicle of yours really helped me!