Author Topic: Problems using Sporepedia?  (Read 2753 times)

Offline Telluric

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
Problems using Sporepedia?
« on: September 16, 2008, 08:55:04 am »
I have the worst time using the Sporepedia.  My wife and I have the game.  I made a cool spaceship and as a test I tried to upload it and have her download it.  We sit forever when we try to search, receiving frequent "there was an error" message and the spinning mouse icon just keeps going.  Frequently, searching completely fails... she eventually found the ship I had made, but only by using my user name, not the name of the ship or the tags I put with it.

Even if searching worked, I am having no luck finding anything cool.  When I go to look at spaceships, there is no way to find the best ones... you get everything.  Some people make nice things, but when I have to march through 20 pages to find half a dozen, I get bored and just go back to playing the game.

Does anyone have any advice for sharing content or finding good content?  Does anyone else have lots of trouble searching with frequent errors and "nothing found" when you know there is something there?

"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." - George Carlin

Offline Elyanna

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Spore Profile
Re: Problems using Sporepedia?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 09:07:15 am »
I have problems sometimes, too. I figure the servers are overloaded.

As for good content, I add as buddies the creators whose work I like. You don't get to pick which of their work you get, though, so if they're great at creatures and lousy at spaceships, I guess it's tough luck. But this works well enough for me.
My spore profile: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/elyanna
I like to make plausible creatures.

Offline Parkaboy

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 09:11:41 am »
You can use the site, instead of the in-game Sporepedia. Works much better, and all you have to do is save the creations you like (the .png files) in the correct folder in the My SPORE Creations folder.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 09:21:40 am »
Even if searching worked, I am having no luck finding anything cool.  When I go to look at spaceships, there is no way to find the best ones... you get everything.  Some people make nice things, but when I have to march through 20 pages to find half a dozen, I get bored and just go back to playing the game.

There is a feature in the code to help you by suggesting stuff similar to what you've already used, to help you find stuff you think is cool. However it is currently not switched on (verified by Caryl Shaw AKA Lucky). They are analysing the data first, I guess it needs some polishing before that feature can go live but they will be looking at it after the initial rush of data.

Offline Vendayn

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 09:26:24 am »
You can use the site, instead of the in-game Sporepedia. Works much better, and all you have to do is save the creations you like (the .png files) in the correct folder in the My SPORE Creations folder.

the answer may be obvious, but I don't see it. How can I upload my creatures using the site instead of the in-game Sporepedia? I can't find where I would do that.
Ask a question and you are stupid for 30 seconds, never ask and you are stupid for life.

my spore page: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Vendayn

My future site for the Fantasy stories I've typed(in development):
www.dragon-masters.com

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 09:31:37 am »
You can't upload using the sporepedia site, you can only download from it.
The files you download you then put into your folder as directed by Parka.

Offline Vendayn

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 09:44:39 am »
Oh, okay.

I haven't been able to upload my creatures for days now, some may have seen my thread about it. Just says deleted from server a second after it finishes uploading. Was hoping to be able to upload them to the site, but oh well.
Ask a question and you are stupid for 30 seconds, never ask and you are stupid for life.

my spore page: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Vendayn

My future site for the Fantasy stories I've typed(in development):
www.dragon-masters.com

Offline Telluric

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 09:46:34 am »
I have problems sometimes, too. I figure the servers are overloaded.

That's what I figured too.  Hopefully it will iron itself out soon enough.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." - George Carlin