Author Topic: Spore did work, but now it doesn't  (Read 6876 times)

Offline Zram84

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
Spore did work, but now it doesn't
« on: September 15, 2008, 11:24:20 pm »
I downloaded (legally through EA) spore and it worked beautifully for a few days. Suddenly when ever I try to start it, the screen goes black as if it is about to start then I get some kind of error message, stating that "Spore has to be shut down."I've restarted my computer and reinstalled spore. I've updated my video, chipset, and sound drivers. I have tried to run Spore in safe mode. I have changed the credential in which to run spore. And I have turned off all of my background programs that are unneeded. I am all out of ideas. I am using windows XP to play spore. Why would spore work than all of a sudden not? any help on this would be great! Thanks

Offline Rct2mad

• Ultima Lord
  • =)
    • View Profile
    • Spore-Galore (Link may not work)
Re: Spore did work, but now it doesn't
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 11:25:07 pm »
Is EADM running?

Offline Zram84

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 11:27:51 pm »
Yes EADM is running

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 11:29:01 pm »
Have you tried starting it from the "SporeApp" item in the files?
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Zram84

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 11:34:20 pm »
I have tried to run the game by clicking SporeApp

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 12:49:09 am »
Does it still give the same message after the reinstall? Are the symptoms exactly the same? Are you haveing any problems with any other software?

Offline Zram84

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 08:20:29 am »
It would seem that no matter what I do including reinstalling the game, I get the exact same problem each time I attempt to start the it.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 08:31:47 am »
You said you'd turned off background programs but what about services? Have you tried stripping MSCONFIG of all startup programs and all non-microsoft services?
(just for a test, not as a permanent solution)

The whole thing with encountering a problem error also worries me. Have you checked your HDD lately? It might be worth uninstalling Spore, running a full checkdisk on the drive you want it installed, and then reinstalling.
If there are any dodgy sectors on the HDD they should be flagged up and disabled for writing by running the checkdisk, so the new installation and its temp/cache files don't land there again.

Offline Zram84

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 08:38:53 am »
I haven't tried both of these things, i'm going to give it a whirl now, thanks! I'll tell you how it goes.

Offline Zram84

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 10:30:01 am »
Well, I tried disabling all unneeded services and uninstalling Spore running CheckDisk and reinstalling it, and neither of them work, I still get the exact same problem

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 10:36:16 am »
What happened between the days that Spore worked and when Spore stopped working?

Did you install anything? Uninstall anything? Download anything? Update anything? It may be difficult to remember, but if it worked at one time, doesn't work now and continues to not work now. Then there is the possibility that something with your system changed in that amount of time. Do you have Automatic Updates on? Windows might of installed an update on it's own and that could of caused a problem, though it's unlikely.

As an aside though, I recommend setting Auto-Updates, if set to On, to Download and Notify or just plain Off. I absolutely hate Windows Auto-Update doing things I don't want it to do and giving me god knows what updates. I have it set to notify me and I choose when to download and install. It wouldn't be so bad if Auto Update didn't FORCE an Auto-Restart every time it did.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Zram84

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 10:43:45 am »
I totally understand about the auto-updates from windows, I did turn it off a while ago, because my computer would randomly restart when I was a away from the keyboard for a few minutes. However, Windows is completely updated including Service Pack 3 which I did after spore stopped working. The only thing that I remember updating was itunes to from 7 to 8. Could that be the culprit? Thanks.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 11:35:19 am »
The only thing that I remember updating was itunes to from 7 to 8. Could that be the culprit? Thanks.

It shouldn't be, but try uninstalling iTunes (make sure to back up your files or whatever you need to, as I don't know how iTunes works specifically *doesn't use it*). It really shouldn't be iTunes but updating iTunes usually updates QuickTime.. QuickTime wants to become the default movie/media program and could conflict with something. That's a BIG if though.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 05:16:10 pm »
I know this sounds weird, but do you have a lot of free disk space? One of my friends (and my laptop) both had a similar problem trying to start up the game with only a few GB of hard drive space free on the drive it was installed on.

Offline Zram84

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 11:12:15 pm »
Thanks for the advice I'll see if I can't move around some disk space