Author Topic: EA Download Manager Install Problem, Please Help  (Read 4259 times)

Offline The_Iceman

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
EA Download Manager Install Problem, Please Help
« on: September 15, 2008, 07:42:46 pm »
If anyone can help me with this problem I would be very grateful. I bought the Pre-Load of Spore online through the EA Store a few days before the game was launched but was unable to install the Download Manager. When I try to install, it gets to the point where I specify where to install on the hard drive and then two error messages pop up.

First: "CreateCacheDir(): Couldn't grant full access to: C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EADM\chache"

Then: "Couldn't set CachePath reg key!"

I'm using XP and tried all the suggestions customer service e-mailed to me (empty TEMP, end processes, turn off security software, run spyware scans, etc...)

Any advice would be great.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
Re: EA Download Manager Install Problem, Please Help
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 03:41:50 am »
If I'm reading this right, it seems likely the program isn't getting all the privileges it needs to write to certain folders and your registry database.

Are you logged into Windows with an Administrator account? If so, have you tried right-clicking the setup file you use to install the EADM with (don't know what it's called) and choose "Run as.."?
If not then try it, and if it doesn't work, then try doing the same but unticking the box "Protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity".
If that does not help then try creating another Administrator user account (but stay logged into your normal one), choose "Run as..." on the setup file again, and select "The following user:". Then input your new user account (and password) you've just created in the boxes below and see what happens.

Offline The_Iceman

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 01:56:29 pm »
Thanks for the advice Necrox, but no luck  :(

I still get the same error message.

Offline The_Iceman

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 05:03:57 pm »
The latest thing I tried was to disable anti-virus and also end processes...  I still get the same error messages... Anyone have any other tips?

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 05:10:08 pm »
Have you ever correctly installed the EADM on this computer before? (Like for another game or the SCC?)

Offline The_Iceman

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 06:57:48 pm »
I guess I must have when I bought the creature creator, however I suppose I uninstalled it right after I downloaded it.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 03:11:00 am »
Good question Zamaza.

Maybe something is left of the original installation?
Try deleting uninstalling EADM first (if it's in your add/remove programs list) and then/or delete all the EADM folders and files left in your Program Files manually. Then reboot and try the installation again.

Offline The_Iceman

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 04:33:36 am »
Manually uninstalling the old EADM was the first thing I did when I started having all these problems.  I followed the directions on the EA support site.  I even removed registry entries for the EADM.  The EA support team isn`t being much of a help, they keep sending me general troubleshooting tips even after I tell them that I already tried those tips  ???.

Offline The_Iceman

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 05:06:54 pm »
This is the latest advice EA Support sent me:

"If you have any other applications that may prevent your registry from being edited, you will need to disable them before installing the EADM."

Ok what applications might these be?

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 06:25:03 am »
Sorry for the late reply, I've been away (playing wow *cough*).

Usually you'll know if you have programs like that. It'll be included in security packages (like if you have Norton Internet Security) but if you've disabled your security software anyway that should be taken care of.
The only other thing is if you have software SPECIFICALLY for that purpose, but if you did you'd probably know about it.
The best way to be sure nothing is interferring is to follow my directions in this post:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=14113.msg607787#msg607787
Starting at "Note: If this does not work you may have conflicting software installed." and going down.
That'll catch pretty much anything you could have installed that could cause any problems.