Author Topic: Spore install limit removed  (Read 21883 times)

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
Spore install limit removed
« on: September 14, 2008, 12:46:21 pm »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/14/AR2008091400885.html
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10041188-52.html

Of course then Amazon went and did EAs bidding:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080912-amazon-gags-spore-critics-deletes-all-customer-reviews.html

I'll put it simple in case you don't wanna read all that, EA expected to sell 2 million copies of Spore until the end of September, thanks to DRM many people went on a rampage giving Spore a 1 star rating on Amazon.com, not only that but Spore will soon become the most illegally downloaded game OF ALL TIMES (proving DRM doesn't work) with 500,000+ downloads so far.

Then suddenly the 1 star ratings on Amazon "disappeared due to a glitch", yeahhhh... right.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 12:50:22 pm by DarkDragon »

DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Rusted

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
Re: EA might have to take the DRM/install limit out of Spore
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 01:05:24 pm »
Wow.  I love capitalism as much as the next guy, but could we get a little free speech up in here.....(up in here) 
The second up in here, is of course to prove my gansta.
Terraforming. 
Turning dirt, forming.
Turning dirt; forming.
Terraforming.

Rusted -Sporepedia Name and Link
PM if you add me, I'll return the favor.

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 01:09:12 pm »
It has also been downloaded an estimated 500,000 times on BitTorrent, and is well on its way to becoming the most illegally downloaded game ever.

A-hyuk!  ;D

We're now at the point where Spore's getting more publicity for its DRM than for its wondrous concept or procedural generation or anything like that. Will and the Maxoids worked hard on it for years, and good ol' EA is just encouraging everyone to steal the game. Almost legitimising it.

The irony is I remember an interview once in which Will said EA had told him and his team they could have as much time making Spore as they needed as long as they 'don't mess it up'. Well, gee, EA's got that down all by themselves!
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline Flak

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
    • The Spore Zoo and Creature Cave
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 01:09:37 pm »
I just got done reading the WP article. Kudos to Erick Schonfeld.

I still haven't purchased Spore. I won't steal it either, and I'm surviving. When and if they get rid of the DRM crap I will buy it. Until then, not interested.

Offline Ittiz

• Wizard of Wor
  • Horned Hopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 01:10:59 pm »
Yeah this is a problem for me, three days after I got the game my laptop was stolen out of my carry-on after US airways forced me to check it on board.  Lost a lot of stuff including all of my planet art tools.  Probably lucky for me the laptop I using in the mean time is too old and slow to play spore so I haven't played it on here and I'm out of luck for awhile.  But odds are I'm not going to use my next laptop forever because it's a work laptop.  So what am I to do? What if I get a desktop?  Most security features on games today are a joke.  They get cracked in less than a day after release.  If they want good security they should make it mobile like the USB hardware keys used by most proprietary business applications today.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/14/AR2008091400885.html
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10041188-52.html

Of course then Amazon went and did EAs bidding:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080912-amazon-gags-spore-critics-deletes-all-customer-reviews.html

I'll put it simple in case you don't wanna read all that, EA expected to sell 2 million copies of Spore until the end of September, thanks to DRM many people went on a rampage giving Spore a 1 star rating on Amazon.com, not only that but Spore will soon become the most illegally downloaded game OF ALL TIMES (proving DRM doesn't work) with 500,000+ downloads so far.

Then suddenly the 1 star ratings on Amazon "disappeared due to a glitch", yeahhhh... right.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 01:11:22 pm »
I just got done reading the WP article. Kudos to Erick Schonfeld.

I still haven't purchased Spore. I won't steal it either, and I'm surviving. When and if they get rid of the DRM crap I will buy it. Until then, not interested.

Many people who were gonna buy it also downloaded it because of DRM, they would have bought it if it weren't for the stupid DRM which didn't stop pirates at all as the downloads prove <_<

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Moogie

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 01:11:28 pm »
I'm quite anti-DRM myself.

I don't actually mind Spore's DRM setup, as it doesn't affect me. And I've heard that SecuROM isn't half as bad as it used to be. But just because I'm not affected this time, doesn't mean DRM is - ever was - or ever will be a good idea.

This fight is against all DRM implementations which damage, limit, and criminalize paying customers. Some DRM is worse than others - some DRM install rootkits that are almost impossible for the average user to remove, effectively classifying them as malware. DRM is why some games take several minutes to boot up. It's why games like Spore need you to be connected to the Internet just to play. Why? I freaking bought it, didn't I? And across the table, the pirates boot their games immediately, have less crashing/stability issues, and can play whenever/however they like - because they simply subvert the DRM malware and play. Shouldn't it be the other way around??

What makes this worse is companies' refusals to alter their policies or find a sensible middleground, and when their products start getting pirated to all hell BECAUSE of DRM, they STILL blame the pirates, like they are a bunch of immoral, faceless theives who rub their hands together and cackle, gurgling "weeehehehe, we hate all your games, we're going to bankrupt you by copying games we would never pay for in the first place" - when infact if you ask any pirate why he/she steals software, there's typically a very sensible reason behind it:

DRM
Overpriced software
Lacking in support/patches
'Rushed out the door' and riddled with bugs (looking at you and every software company you've gobbled up and run into the ground, EA)
Would never have heard of/purchased the game anyway, meaning you're not losing a single dollar from the theft

So in the interests of "fighting the good fight", even though I purchased a legit copy of Spore, I am also torrenting the game out of principle. As quoted from the seeder, it's a "virtual punch in the face" to EA and all the companies harbouring such prehistoric views on content security and piracy. If it makes any difference to the future, I want to say I didn't stand idly by, I helped bring game publishers and the music industry into the 21st century. Whether the big publishers like it or not, the success of games, movies and music all depend on one thing alone: whether the customer has enjoyed the experience. Sabotaging your own products with laggy, unstable DRM 'solutions' and then blaming 'pirates' for all your lost sales just proves how far your heads are buried in the sand.

Rant end. ;D Obligatory **** the MPAA, RIAA, EA, etc...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 01:14:32 pm by Moogie »

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 01:12:51 pm »
It should be noted that some of the Amazon posts were really bad, not just talking about the game, but some of them were using racial insults towards EA and "anyone dumb enough to buy this game" ect. It's not the kind of thing Amazon wants up there ever, and there were people using various methods to post these "reviews" many times, and just spamming it solely because of the EADM. I don't think this means they should have all been deleted, but Amazon isn't a forum, I'm sure they don't want to have to moderate it (plus EA is scary when angry.)

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 01:15:21 pm »
It should be noted that some of the Amazon posts were really bad, not just talking about the game, but some of them were using racial insults towards EA and "anyone dumb enough to buy this game" ect. It's not the kind of thing Amazon wants up there ever, and there were people using various methods to post these "reviews" many times, and just spamming it solely because of the EADM. I don't think this means they should have all been deleted, but Amazon isn't a forum, I'm sure they don't want to have to moderate it (plus EA is scary when angry.)

It's not that they deleted the ratings, it's the reason they gave for them being deleted that makes it look absurd :P

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

Offline Moogie

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 01:16:32 pm »
Agreed there. 1-starring it, fine, go crazy, as long as you back it up properly. But most of the comments were lame and ONLY about the DRM. On a site like Amazon, a product review should be about the product as a whole, and by people who've actually purchased and/or played it first.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 01:18:27 pm »
DRM..securom its not half as bad as people like to pretend. bad.

People are just baby's

Now they pirate the game when its the pirates fault the game has it to begin with!!. They become the problem instead of the solution. They all need to be put in jail. All of Maxis's hard work for people to do that?. Such a lack of respect.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 01:22:41 pm »
DRM..securom its not half as bad as people like to pretend. bad.

People are just baby's

Now they pirate the game when its the pirates fault the game has it to begin with!!. They become the problem instead of the solution. They all need to be put in jail. All of Maxis's hard work for people to do that?. Such a lack of respect.

Do you work for EA or something? Some people both bought the game AND downloaded it, just to make a point... that DRM doesn't stop piracy, it encourages it... why should we, the people who bought the game have to go through the hassle of having to call EA to give us 1 more activation once we run out of the 3 we have (and take the risk of not getting it if they decide so) and the pirates can just install it at will and play it like a "good old game". The Spore online features which don't work with pirated copies were motive enough to buy the game, giving the customers install limits is not a motive to buy the game but not to buy it instead.

After all, you seem to be the baby here since you're the only one not mature enough to understand the situation we (and you) are in.

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 01:24:13 pm »
Oh, I don't disagree that's totally silly. The chances that the rating change was an accident is less than 10% in my book (theoretically someone could have messed it up when deleting the reviews I guess, however unlikely.)

I am somewhat tired of anti-DRM crusaders mainly because I've had to deal with several in-person (Note: I don't like the DRM, but I don't FLIP OUT when someone at gamestop buys a game with it and have to go up to this person and lecture them on the EVILs of DRM. This has actually happened to me TWICE at different stores.). The DRM isn't what it used to be, I've YET to have a single problem with Spore's DRM (Nor have any of my friends or family, that's about 14 installs) and EA's support is generally helpful nowadays. Granted they have had to screw up royally with previous games in the past and make many people angry so much it got bad for business to actually learn, but you can't deny that they have made improvements.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 01:28:45 pm »
I only have 2 questions:

1. Can you ask for an install on the online customer support service and does EA have people in all countries in case you need to call them? We have to remember that some people who buy this game are quite young, they shouldn't have to know and probably don't know how to call EA and what to say. EA is also the one who decides if they give you another install or not for the game you bought depending on the reasons why you spent the 3 installs.

2. What about the future? Why shouldn't I be able to just put my DVD in my computer in 20 years and play Spore if I feel like it? I paid for it, I expect a life-time working copy until the DVD either scratches, breaks, I die, or something of sorts.

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

Offline Moogie

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 01:29:45 pm »
They're making (slow) improvement because their customers have been pissed off about DRM for so long, and it has caused problems for so many years. Let's not stop now and let them fall back into old habits.

DD @ point #2: Exactly!