Author Topic: Will the spore galaxy be only one? or is it randomly generated  (Read 9832 times)

Offline Talkc

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Oh YEAAAAAAAH!
    • View Profile
Re: Will the spore galaxy be only one? or is it randomly generated
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2006, 07:52:21 pm »
My guess is that it will be generated in parts, AS you explore the galaxy. I dont believe that a majority of the galaxy will even have been generated untill you get to the specific parts of it, and then it will come up with something for you, possibly off of other player's content.

Offline dogzer

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2006, 08:32:40 pm »
Yeah, even if it had online gaming, i woudlnt like that, because i always end up with someone who has sharpened his skills so good, you only have a 200 ms error window if you want to survive him.

But i guess that sharing the galaxy thing isnt a good idea either, I must admit i forgot about species being wiped out of planets. Since if your race gets wiped out on one computer, it'd have to be the same for your computer, so that wouldnt work out haha

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2006, 11:45:12 pm »
My guess is that it will be generated in parts, AS you explore the galaxy. I dont believe that a majority of the galaxy will even have been generated untill you get to the specific parts of it, and then it will come up with something for you, possibly off of other player's content.
I think this scenario the most likely. This way you can also get offered more of the diversity as more people play the game. If the entire galaxy is generated the first time you start the game, the early buyers (yes, that'd be us! :D) get the least diverse game.
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline Chaosenigma

• Mystery House Madman
  • Happi faic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 12:04:56 am »
Of course it's randomly generated. I cant remember which speech but i remember reading a transcript about every world being different, and that every time you re-install spore onto your computer a new universe is created
Sitting quietly waiting for spore's release....... for 2 years and counting T_T.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2006, 12:31:36 am »
Still, it's not completely random. Accoring to the age-old lore(GDC05), planets you discover will be partially influenced by your playing style. I believe that if you're a water creature you will see more water worlds, if you're a conquerer, you will face more aggressive enemies, and so on.

Offline DarkDragon

• Double Dragon Dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2006, 04:23:45 am »
A shared galaxy would imply that if someone blows up your planet = Game Over for you :C
I prefer a different galaxy for each person because it gives a sense of randomness and I like that.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Millsy111

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2006, 04:52:57 am »
I definitely prefer a randomly generated universe to a shared one. Primarily because I don't want someone else tampering and/or destroying things I have spent a lot of time to create and have it destroyed on MY game as well.

Offline DarkDragon

• Double Dragon Dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2006, 10:05:05 am »
You must also understand that a shared galaxy would use a lot of space because all the stars+planets+etc would have to exist already for everyone to use them. The only way Spore can handle a full random galaxy is because new stars+planets are only created when you decide to travel to them, otherwise a star is only a bright dot in the middle of nowhere ;)
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2006, 10:40:17 pm »
Because it's pollinated as you need content it has to be generated as a whole.  My co-ordinates are 250x250.  Yours are 750x750.  I go to 750x750 but previously I needed a carnivore to balance out my planet and yours got chosen, so now that carnivore won't be pollinated to 750x750... it'll be pollinated by something else, if anything.

I suspect however that at install, as soon as we get out of the primordial muck, all galaxies will be the same.  We'll all start in the same coordinates and the major stars will all exist the same.  But the planets and creatures won't.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 12:15:01 am »
It would probbly HAVE to be randomly generated cause our filtering out so much.

Offline dlseth

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2006, 01:57:20 am »

Has that dude actually ever won a case?

For that matter, has he ever seen the inside of a court? As a lawyer, I mean...

(I need to buy that game...)
}><(((^^>

Offline benjaminge

• Galaxian Guru
  • He said it, not me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2006, 08:37:59 am »
hmmmm i could be wrong, but in the demo whenever he's zoomed out, it bin the same spiral galaxy, like our own. So i reckon we might all recieve the same sorta template for a galaxy, basic shape, location of black holes etc (if there are any) and maybe even the different solar systems. however what these planets would consist of would would be randomly generated 2 suit our needs. This way certain items, like the relics and alien technology could be in certain places, like the 3rd planet away from you, and the 1st intelegent life you encounter in the 2nd solar sytem you explore...

thinking about it, would it be easier 2 program a set galaxy that had the ability 2 randomly generate planets or a galaxy that can completely randomly generated itself?

thinking more :) hasnt ww already said it would be like 10,000 planets max? surely that means there imposing some kinds of limits to it, meaning maybe we're gettin a template?!

discuss :)
Apparently the warning "do not try this at home" really means "do not try this at all"... no one told ME!!!!

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2006, 08:45:11 am »
I suspect that a galaxy only ever has one black hole, and if it has a second I would think that it would be a miniature black hole that would eventually end up merging with the central one.

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2006, 09:36:59 am »
Didn't he mention that black holes can be used as wormholes at some satge, to travel through the galaxy faster? That'd imply at least two in addition to the central one.

As an aside: Knowing how Will said the Galaxy is a "stellar zoo" I imagine that it'll indeed have a huge central black hole, in keeping with the current assumption of such a thing at our very own "RL" Galaxy.
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline lolasan

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Poor Martian Bish
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2006, 10:41:22 am »
JT only won the Hot Coffee Case... and I think maybe one in Uber Conservative Christian Hicksville, Alabama regarding his stance of "Violent Video games make one Killers" I can easily modify some of the items on the EDIT: Humorous List of"Why Gay Marrige is Wrong" humor list, replace "Gay Marrige" with "Violent Videogames" and it would have the same message

Such as "Violent Video games make the game players Killers, just like playing with tall people will make you tall"
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 06:06:44 pm by lolasan »
And with this post, I've opened yet another can of worms.

Friend: I propose a knife fight to decide

Me: But you're the only one of us who carries a knife.

Friend: Correction, four.