Author Topic: Venom/Poisons Confirmed!  (Read 15203 times)

Offline Gianavel

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
Re: Venom/Poisons Confirmed!
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2006, 06:23:11 pm »
You're all so naive.

The most logical way venom would work is damage over time. I'm not concerned with my creature having poison. I'm concered with my PREY being poisionous. I'm fine with the creatures having blades and crap, because you can see how much damage they'll do, a certain amount per hit and that's it. But imagine this: you're a predator, and you see a weak little prey bunny. You sneak up to it, and pounce, and boom, you've been hit by poison, and your health is slowly decreasing. Then the bunny starts fighting back. It damages you even more, while you're still being hit by poison. Suddenly, you have twice as much damage on you as you should of had. You manage to kill your prey, but the poison is still affecting you. In fact, the bunnies poison was so strong, you die. Because while poision can be ok in games where you can cure it, like Diablo, in spore there are no potions to heal you or stop the spead of the venom. Unless venom only lasts temporarly, but honestly, can someone name a venom that only last a short while then dissipates? No. It keeps coursing through your veins. The only I can think of to regain health is time or eating (which is probably in there anyway), but poison would still affect you through time so you'd never really gain health, or to stay alive you'd have to constantly eat (even more so than you already do), which means ensuring you kill everything you chase after. You have no quit fight option, you can't afford to run away and attack again. It's just too much pressure.

And the moral of this story:  Don't hunt bunnies.  Did Monty Python teach us nothing?

Besides, all real life poisons break down and pass out of your system eventually, providing you survive the experience.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 06:38:16 pm by Gianavel »

TheNecromonicon

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2006, 06:30:49 pm »
Ug, fine, w/e, have your poisons and venoms and other poop. But I at least want a counter/timer telling me how long I'm going to be poisoned for, I hate not knowing that kind of stuff. Nothing will piss me off more than if I end up dying because the poison lasted one more second than I thought it would.

How the hell is anyone supposed to create a custom creature when they're forced to put on parts and adaptations that they don't nessessarly want, just to survive attacks by crap like spewed acid? It creates far too much linear and pressured advancement in a game that "claims" to be way more open then that. Sure it presents more challenge, but it removes freedom, which is really the aim of the game: creative freedom.

Offline Petreak

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Petreak's Graphics and Stuff!
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2006, 06:57:37 pm »
Well, if you die from an encounter with a creature that uses venom, then in your next life you will remember to stay away from that type of creature. Hehe!!
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Offline SpecialBrownies

• Donkey Kong King
  • They look so special!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2006, 07:04:13 pm »
How the hell is anyone supposed to create a custom creature when they're forced to put on parts and adaptations that they don't nessessarly want, just to survive attacks by crap like spewed acid? It creates far too much linear and pressured advancement in a game that "claims" to be way more open then that. Sure it presents more challenge, but it removes freedom, which is really the aim of the game: creative freedom.

The point of the game is to evolve and overcome. If you want to make custom creatures, use the creature editor in the UFO, or in the menu.
"If you put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room with computers, they would code Spore."

-SpecialBrownies

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2006, 07:09:19 pm »
You're still free to create whatever you want. It'll just die if it sucks.  ;D

It's funny how you whine about how this would make the game too linear when it's giving you an extra offensive option, basically giving you more chances to branch out.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2006, 07:43:05 pm »
I think that the venom will act more as an acid then an actual venom. A venom would be long term, while an acid will damage you over, say, one second. It would appear to be venom, just not as long term. Plus it would have a better initial damage rate. But a long, slow acting venome would be fine. It wouldn't upset anything. It would dissipate after say, a minute, and you would be fine.

Or you could eat a magical venom-curing fruit. How cool would that be?

Offline Demonic Spoon

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2006, 08:24:32 pm »
You're all so naive.

Insults...great way to start a post.

The most logical way venom would work is damage over time. I'm not concerned with my creature having poison. I'm concered with my PREY being poisionous. I'm fine with the creatures having blades and crap, because you can see how much damage they'll do, a certain amount per hit and that's it. But imagine this: you're a predator, and you see a weak little prey bunny. You sneak up to it, and pounce, and boom, you've been hit by poison, and your health is slowly decreasing. Then the bunny starts fighting back. It damages you even more, while you're still being hit by poison. Suddenly, you have twice as much damage on you as you should of had. You manage to kill your prey, but the poison is still affecting you. In fact, the bunnies poison was so strong, you die. Because while poision can be ok in games where you can cure it, like Diablo, in spore there are no potions to heal you or stop the spead of the venom. Unless venom only lasts temporarly, but honestly, can someone name a venom that only last a short while then dissipates? No. It keeps coursing through your veins. The only I can think of to regain health is time or eating (which is probably in there anyway), but poison would still affect you through time so you'd never really gain health, or to stay alive you'd have to constantly eat (even more so than you already do), which means ensuring you kill everything you chase after. You have no quit fight option, you can't afford to run away and attack again. It's just too much pressure.

ZOMG SMALL CREATURES WILL BE ABLE TO DEFEND THEMSELVES! TEH HORROR.

Poisen DOES last temporarily. Poisen does not stay in your body; it is eventually expelled unless it kills you. I doubt that it will be "damage over time"...most likely it would simply make your creature delerious and/or unconcious.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2006, 09:37:48 pm »
the red back spider / NZ spider hybrid, is about the size of ur finger nail and will kill u in less than an hour

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2006, 09:57:11 pm »
a few quick thoughts, not much time (sorry for not checking if this was said)

Venom is NOT a bad idea because many many creatures have venom.  It's a natural defense and one of nature's best weapons.  Along with squirting venom we also need injected venom, pheromones and secreted venom.

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2006, 11:04:03 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060822/sc_space/venomousfishoutnumbersnakes

This makes me want poison in Spore even more.

Wish granted.

Oh, as for the naysayers:

What the heck. Science Powers Activate!

The Surprising Origin of Venom Revealed
http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/051117_lizard_venom.html

Newfound Snake Anti-Venom is Already Inside You
http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/060727_venom_protect.html

Fear of Snakes Drove Pre-Human Evolution
http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/060721_snake_primate.html
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 12:14:15 am by Slartibartfast »

Offline Dake

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • All your SPORE are belong to us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2006, 11:46:54 pm »
I still say it's a bad idea. I hate being poisoned and not know when or if it'll stop.
This is where evolution comes into play, evolve better to resist the poison ( if possible) or use your brain to know better then to be eating the pretty red bellied frogs!
same rules apply to poison bunnies as a Z-rexulocon(made up just now) with saw blade coming from his mouth, learn to avoid them!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 11:58:21 pm by Dake »

Offline STIG

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2006, 02:08:47 am »
i think it would be great if you could use poison as a main weapon, invest in it heavily, and make it extremely potant ;D

Offline Chickenman297

• Scramble Skipper
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2006, 03:09:48 am »
Hooray for poison :D  This is going to be pretty cool.  De-evolved Klingons anyone?
Book, book, book

Offline Tarrasque

• Mystery House Madman
  • Freedom at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2006, 05:15:57 am »
From the article:

Among the weapons we saw were a hard clublike appendage, jets capable of squirting out venom or other chemicals, and items with purposes unknown.

Maybe stinking fluid like a skunk? Not bad.

Another thing that caught my attention is this:

Arms and legs aren't very handy without hands and feet, but Spore has you covered in that department. There are dozens of hands and feet available to choose from. There are hands with five thin, dexterous fingers, hands with stubby bumps that might well be thumbs, and clawed paws that are clearly made for attacking rather than grasping. These items are placed on the end of legs or arms, and if you place a foot on the end of an arm, that foot will automatically become a hand. Oddly enough, the type of hand you choose affects your creature's social skills.

???

"I'm Jack's complete lack of surprise"

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2006, 05:18:56 am »
Yes, social stats are affected by hands (and mouths presumebly).

Its kind of a body language type thing.  Or think of it this way:

Monkeys use their hands to clean eachother, which builds on social bonds.