Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress - A Roguelike and much, much more  (Read 497443 times)

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress - A Roguelike and much, much more
« Reply #810 on: August 01, 2008, 12:32:38 pm »
Okay, but one question, Is it possible to make an army of dwarfs, all riding elephants while wielding dead goblin bodies while having sex while on fire?
Make is too strong a word.  That could happen, but you wouldn't be in control at that point.

Offline Celdur

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: August 01, 2008, 12:33:19 pm »
they cant ride elephants...they can make weapons out of goblin bones...you can make an army...they will have lots of sex...but not on fire

and you cant mount elephants...you can tame them though

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: August 01, 2008, 12:34:08 pm »
I've downloaded the file.

Now what? It's a conpressed file, do I extract or will that make the demons of hell jump out of my computer and set me on fire?
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Celdur

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: August 01, 2008, 12:37:23 pm »
extract it and run the file...

i always link this to new players cause its a good tutorial...

That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: August 01, 2008, 12:40:38 pm »
So..

Would it be possible to make a prison cage with magma pipes above it that open and kill the prisoner? That would be awesome and a good sourse of obisidodkakajlcwcbaic.

Offline Celdur

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: August 01, 2008, 12:47:15 pm »
yes...you can do that if you have magma in your region...its not that hard to do really

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: August 01, 2008, 12:48:20 pm »
a penny he gives up after ten minutes of gameplay.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: August 01, 2008, 01:07:11 pm »
Well, I've started, it appears I was too modest on skills and items, my main dwarf drowned in the nearby stream, while my fortress tried to set up walls but everyone was too busy mining and half of them got too close to the river and were slaughtered by carp.

That. Was. Awesome.

Offline Psilontech

• Mystery House Madman
  • SCIENCE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: August 01, 2008, 01:53:28 pm »

Quoted From: The Internet.
Aha, my friend, you have fallen into the trap of believing the world of Dwarf Fortress is the same as reality.

You see, though the name is but "carp" the "carp" in question is to Dwarves as "jaws" is to us humans.

Due to the limitations of the game's graphical engine, which powerful as it may be, can't but be defeated by the sheer awesomeness of some of Dwarf Fortress's more colourful fauna. So, to compensate, I shall now describe some of the creatures and items in Dwarf Fortress that people generally misconceive.

THE CARP, THE ELEPHANT, AND THE CROSSBOW
Behold, the wonderful creature that is the carp. Spawned from the very ashes of an ancient slain demon a millennium ago while the land was young and the elven virgins were ripe. The cremated fillings of the foul abyss-spawn polluted a small patch of land in a savanna where young creatures newly spawned from the great chalice of code trotted about and had gaily parties with all folk. Some of these merry younglings were elephants, timid and kind-hearted as they come, for they were created by the great He Whose Keys Make What Is to be benevolent and be caretakers of all life.

But he erred, he did not account for the ashes to pollute the land from which the elephants grazed. It took naught three fortnights for the beasts to roar and ravage, burn and gnaw, explode with a fury of damned hatred. Fangs grew large and spines erupted from their binding flesh and skin. Soon, horned, monstrous beasts began to prowl the new land, killing and maiming all who would dare gaze upon them. Their reign was terrifying and many tales were woven of their tenacious desire of death and destruction; how not even boats were spared from their murderous intent. Indeed, the spirit of the fallen demon Overzealous Code was pleased, for his offspring could continue what he could not.

But the great maker was not blind to these actions and through careful deliberation and long nights of toil, He Whose Keys Make What Is remade the land. A great purge passed through the tainted lands and many of the cursed beasts were felled and captured. The great maker then cast the now-immortal souls of the foul creatures into new bodies, bodies he created specifically to contain their murderous ability. For he devised that the greatest punishment for the demonic offspring was none other than the inability to satisfy their bloodlust.

And so the great maker Whose Keys Make What Is cast the elephant into the body of a fish, and the fish was named a carp, and the carp was cast into water where it may not trouble another innocent soul. And a new elephant was remade, this time in the proper image. But the demon, Overzealous Code, was intelligent and creative. His coils managed to trick the great maker into error and the souls of the elephants began to emerge through their prisons. The fish bred fast and once again begin to wreck havoc through any civilization that dares position itself within range of water. Even now, more and more hapless individuals fall to the blood-soaked jaws of the malignant lifeform.

And though it would be awhile more before the great maker Whose Keys Make What Is can deal fully with the demon and his children, he has bestowed gifts upon the inhabitants of his world. Devices of divine property, the crossbow was forged and passed into the hands of the dwarves and the bow to the elves, the two founding races who then, whether through war or trade, passed it on to the kobolds, the goblins, and the humans. Created 6 breaths long and 2 arms wide, the crossbow and its variant is balanced on one shoulder with one hand supporting it underneath in the front and one holding it firm to the body. A strong plate that shields the face and upper body is mounted close to the front end of the device and a hole from which ammunition is placed into at the other end. It fires holy bolts one arm long and a hand wide, fired four at a time and when fired, they seek out and close in on their target as if being led by wire.

And so, by arming your militia with the device that was handed down by the great maker himself, you shall defeat the evil foes that wreck your settlement and then you shall be free to please him in every way you can. So it was spoken, so it shall be.
"Whatever Febreeze can't fix, a gun will"

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: August 01, 2008, 02:21:50 pm »
My second fortress was fine until a hippo wandered into my fortress and wiped out the entire fortress, par one dwarf who wrestled the hippo to the ground and killed it. I think I might like this game.

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: August 01, 2008, 02:29:30 pm »
lol I had a near miss with a similar situation, a giant rat managed to work it's way into my fortress just after I'd started. Thankfully my woodcutter managed to take his axe to the bugger while it was gnawing on one of my miners.
What have you got against intellectual midgets? They're quite smart little guys as far as i can tell.

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: August 01, 2008, 06:53:20 pm »
I've got more gems than things to engrave them with - what now?

Also, no metal.

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: August 01, 2008, 11:58:27 pm »
I have loved how this game looks but I just cant seem to get the hang of it even after reading the tutorial but I shall keep trying until a carp actually kills me in real life

Offline Celdur

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: August 02, 2008, 03:40:49 am »
the may green version helps..you just have to have a little patience when you first play it...just sit down and slowly get to know stuff

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: August 02, 2008, 03:49:20 am »
I've got more gems than things to engrave them with - what now?

Also, no metal.
do some exploratory digging, if you've found gems there's usually some type of metal ore.
What have you got against intellectual midgets? They're quite smart little guys as far as i can tell.