Author Topic: Attributes for Creatures  (Read 3238 times)

Offline Elyas

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
Attributes for Creatures
« on: May 21, 2006, 08:33:14 pm »
I've heard a few people discussing the different attributes and I think of two should be added, Quickness and Stamina.

Quickness is different than speed, and there are example in our animal kingdom of creatures that have one or both.

An example of animals that have speed but not quickness are bears, rhinos, elephants, etc.  Basically creatures that are larger and can't turn fast because of their size.

Many small animals such as different rodents are quick but not fast, meaning that they don't outrun their predators but are quicker than them.  I think this would allow you to build small herbivores that could survive against a fast large predator. 

I also think stamina is an important attribute because some animals can also make quick attacks, such as a alligator.  You should be able to have a creature that has a powerful quick attack using stealth but won't be able to chase after creatures if it doesn't kill on the first strike.

Offline Lualmoba

• Zaxxon Zealot
    • View Profile
Re: Attributes for Creatures
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 08:35:36 pm »
I think those two things will be implied instead of shown.

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 08:47:27 pm »
Agreed.  That is hard to do in a Computer game.

Offline GargaTech

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 08:48:59 pm »
I think by "quickness" you mean either reflexes or agility, I dont think there is such a word as "quickness". And I think there might be a thread that has this already..... But for reflexes to really work they need to be able to hide in a hole of some other place to avoid the predator, I am not sure if I am right but I dont think burrowing is in......

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 09:20:56 pm »
reflexes indeed... and if actual attacks matter (which I hope they do but suspect they don't) beyond simply dmg vs. defense, then it would be important.

Stamina is pretty important too.  And it would be especially important if we could have different attack styles (one animal chasing another, more speed might mean an escape but less stamina might mean that by the second or third consecutive attack, DOOOOMMM!!!!   ;D

Offline Full_Metal

• Adventure Ace
    • View Profile
    • Vector Hates You All!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 10:11:05 pm »
I'm hoping there will be uses for actual 1st person play, such as dodging, particularly with slow creatures that have only one forward-facing attack so a fast creature might circle around where there's no mouth to bite them... I'd like to see that kind of "quickness".

Offline Clappingman

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 10:28:15 pm »
Physics engine, man, physics engine.

Your size/mass will probably require that you gain momentum and so forth. When will was playing the screeble in one of the videos, you could see the creature running fast, and then stopping instantly, and it's legs did a thing where they got ahead of him, showing that he had inertia. (cause he was turning)

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 06:33:03 am »

I'm not sure how detailed the combat engine will be but I wouldn't be surpised to see a stamina type bar.  Each attack takes some energy, running takes energy, etc.  The energy level could slowly regenerate when you rest or quickly when you eat.  Sounds reasonable considering the game.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 07:00:10 am »
I have noticed that attacks are procedurally generated in quite an odd way. I.E. The mace creature made on G4 tech TV. It had two, huge, spike balls for hands, and still attacked by biting. I think it goes to show that whatever is your most powerful attack will be its primary one, no matter what secondary attacks are available, nor how menacing they may look. Bit silly to me really, but not a problem...
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 07:08:42 am »
I have noticed that attacks are procedurally generated in quite an odd way. I.E. The mace creature made on G4 tech TV. It had two, huge, spike balls for hands, and still attacked by biting. I think it goes to show that whatever is your most powerful attack will be its primary one, no matter what secondary attacks are available, nor how menacing they may look. Bit silly to me really, but not a problem...
There seems to be some kind of indicator in the bottom right for which attack a creature is using during the creature phase, though. When Will was controlling his Screeble, it showed two circular icons, one with the image of a mouth, the other with some kind appendage, probably indicating it's front "pincers".

Offline Branko

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 12:33:13 pm »

I hope you can chose with what you attack. Maybe you can make combinate attack.

Bastardman: Maybe you must click on this icons to start attack with mouth or something else. If the creature is attacking with something(mouth) and you want to attack with something else(arms).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 12:38:51 pm by Branko »